Gibson Brands Forums

Rye Whiskey

flatbaroque

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good version of one of my favorite songs from back in the depths of time, FB.

The origins of that one are lost in antiquity, but one of my favorite versions is on Jesse Colin Young's first album, "Soul of a City Boy", from about 1964.

Pretty much every song on that album (which remains fresh more than 50 years later) would be a natural for both you and the BluesKing:

The origins of that one are lost in antiquity, but one of my favorite versions is on Jesse Colin Young's first album, "Soul of a City Boy", from about 1964.

Pretty much every song on that album (which remains fresh more than 50 years later) would be a natural for both you and the BluesKing:

Wow.Thanks Nick.can't believe I haven't heard of that guy.That is one great album.Just did a quick sampling of half a dozen songs.Sounds so contemporary somehow -timeless maybe.Brilliant.

Wow.Thanks Nick.can't believe I haven't heard of that guy.That is one great album.Just did a quick sampling of half a dozen songs.Sounds so contemporary somehow -timeless maybe.Brilliant.

For many people, he's best known by his band from a few years later: The Youngbloods. This is probably their best-known song:

Yep.That I remember.

I really like Soul of a City Boy. "Four in the Morning" was one of the first songs I ever worked up when I got into folk blue in the mid-60's, but everything on that album rings true.

Nicely done!

I have Friday and Monday off too, but I only get paid on hours I do, so...not so good, and get back to work you loafers! Xmas, NY, Easter, others...guitar fund is sinking.

I bought a Dobro book 40 years ago with 2 smilin’ rhinestone cowboys on the front cover, should have known, but they have a moronically simple version of Rye Whiskey, but only the chorus. Never heard the rest...

BluesKing777.

Nice FB

New song to me that one , although the lyrics pop up in a few other songs I’ve heard remashed

Dylan’s moonshiner for one .... which again I recognised lyrics from Irish folk song

And nick , why didn’t you tell us all about that guy before , great album that I’d never heard .

Although I listened to snapshots of the other ones there and they were t floating my boat. But that first album is terrific !

See hogeye , see what happens when a fella posts a tune on here ?

We all get to hear a LG with a dodgy bridge and a hour or twos new music to learn .

Ya grumpy old sod 😂

Yeppers. A classic tune. Funny how with 'Folk' music - you can inter-change verses between songs. Few on FlatBrokes are on JCYoung's version and vice verser.

My favorite was an instrumental version, ironically, Glen Campbell on one of his two 12 String Guitar album. Of course, I'd never have been able to appreciate that if I hadn't heard the lyrics a hundred times before - at least for the chorus.

I played that record so much it wore out. imho still his finest. (sounds funny to say record) I'm showing my age.

Nice FB

New song to me that one , although the lyrics pop up in a few other songs I’ve heard remashed

Dylan’s moonshiner for one .... which again I recognised lyrics from Irish folk song

And nick , why didn’t you tell us all about that guy before , great album that I’d never heard .

Although I listened to snapshots of the other ones there and they were t floating my boat. But that first album is terrific !

See hogeye , see what happens when a fella posts a tune on here ?

We all get to hear a LG with a dodgy bridge and a hour or twos new music to learn .

Ya grumpy old sod 😂

I normally like his renditions of tunes but this one left me flat. It is monotonous and seems to go on forever. The song is simple and it is a challenge to make it interesting but it can be done. Many have made it interesting. This just drones on and on verse after verse. The harmonica break was confusing. It usually has something to do with the melody but this just added to the boredom.

As far as the guitar? It sounds just like what it is. A guitar Gibson designed to be a entry level guitar for beginners. It doesn't make any difference what kind of lipstick he puts on this pig it will be just like it was designed to be.

You folks are getting better. I have been elevated from a coward to a grumpy old sod.

I normally like his renditions of tunes but this one left me flat. It is monotonous and seems to go on forever. The song is simple and it is a challenge to make it interesting but it can be done. Many have made it interesting. This just drones on and on verse after verse. The harmonica break was confusing. It usually has something to do with the melody but this just added to the boredom.

As far as the guitar? It sounds just like what it is. A guitar Gibson designed to be a entry level guitar for beginners. It doesn't make any difference what kind of lipstick he puts on this pig it will be just like it was designed to be.

You folks are getting better. I have been elevated from a coward to a grumpy old sod.

Where Stu’s post was classy and inclusive, you think a response like this is civil??

If you must err, try erring on the side of kindness.

Discraceful post. Shameful display of poor manners.

Lars

Archived