Gibson Brands Forums

Another "is this real?" thread

NewBirdDude

So I'm looking at a 2012 trans amber standard. The usual dead fake giveaways are not present. Overall the guitar looks great. It looks real to me but I'd rather have some more experienced eyes on the job.

It looks like the owner swapped the tuners to a front-locking kluson? I may be wrong. Other trans amber standard 2012's I've seen online have grovers. Swapped the knobs, maybe. It also looks like he swapped the nut, just based on the color, but again I could be wrong.

No back of the headstock pics but I can get those. The gentleman was really nice, he's got some other serious gear for sale (mesa Mk iV and an LP traditional with a home relic job, i think).

edit: Forgot to mention the ad states he put in '57 zebra pups. So those are also not stock.

00S0S_hvcmy0UnGwb_1200x900.jpg

00U0U_gPJATxCfVfb_600x450.jpg

00j0j_3478kc2r6HC_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_7FqbfS520bx_1200x900.jpg

00G0G_6PGhQRpDLi3_1200x900.jpg

What kind of tuners are on it? I don't think I've ever seen a LP with open split-shaft tuners like that.

My guess was an aftermarket front-locking Kluson type tuner. I know John Mann makes them but he's usually more popular with the PRS crowd. And the shaft on those is black I believe just like PRS lockers.

Looks very real to me. No red flags at all.

Nut might well have been changed although I have seen some Gibsons with a black nut. Similarly some Les Pauls have come with those tuners so I wouldn't worry about those. They might have been changed but no biggie if they have. I don't happen to like them but that's neither here nor there. Knobs are probably swapped but easily changed back. Straplocks are fitted so if you decide to buy make sure you get the 'other half' of the units. '57s are superb p'ups. If you don't like the Zebra look it's easy to pop a couple of covers on them.

If the guy selling is the original owner ask if he has the stock parts and that includes the (removed) pickguard.

Rear of head would be good to see but I can't see there being much doubt that it's the real deal.

Pip.

The guitar looks original to me too. Machine heads and nut were probably exchanged indeed and covers were probably taken off. Don't see the reason also for him stringing the strings over the stopbar? Anyway; this model was issued for the Uk in 2012, it looks like that one:

AAAFlamed Top (On Premium Plus skus)

CompoundRadius Rosewood Fingerboard

60sNeck Profile

New“Modern”WeightRelief

Switchcraft® output jack/ Locking Grover KidneyTuners

DualBurstbucker Pro Pickups/Tone Pros TOM and Stop Bar

2Push/Pull Volume

Splitsfrom humbucker tosingle coil.

Improvedfrequency tuned coil tapping for a fatter single coil tone, and better outputbalance.

2Push/Pull Tone

PhaseSwitch

PureBypass takes the bridge pickup straight out the jack.

post-15276-085656100 1522404497_thumb.jpg

I think it is a nice looking guitar and nothing odd about it at all except for that "wrap over" arrangement of the strings on the stop bar. I'd have the strings off in the first minute and put a new set on properly.

... nothing odd about it at all except for that "wrap over" arrangement of the strings on the stop bar. I'd have the strings off in the first minute and put a new set on properly...

Agreed to the sentiment above. And you may want to check the intonation after the string change.

Looking at it again I think those tuners are the 'front-bit' of a set of the G-Force tuning system.

This possibility (and the fitting of said system) might explain the lack of rear-of-peghead pictures.

StijnV? What are your thoughts?

Pip.

Looking at it again I think those tuners are the 'front-bit' of a set of the G-Force tuning system.

This possibility (and the fitting of said system) might explain the lack of rear-of-peghead pictures.

StijnV? What are your thoughts?

Pip.

I think you are right, they look like the tuners on either a Min E-Tune or a 2015 G-Force system.

Guest Farnsbarns

Another mutiliated, Frankensteined Gibson that won't sell for much? Get those back of the headstock pics if you're really interested. I would pass up on it, though—there are a bazillion other, better Les Paul offers out there.

Unless I'm mistaken we don't know the price. I can see nothing wrong with it at all and it might be a knockout player as far as we know. Looks great and personally I can see no reason to pass up on it. Have I missed something here which makes you think you'd pass?

I think it is a nice looking guitar and nothing odd about it at all except for that "wrap over" arrangement of the strings on the stop bar. I'd have the strings off in the first minute and put a new set on properly.

The "overwrap" here might have been necessary if the stopbar tailpiece is "bottomed out" to keep the strings off of the back of the ABR bridge. Just a thought and a "prof" setup can relieve that.

If you were interested, what would you pay for this? He said he would throw the original Grovers back on.

Best way to get a rough idea is to check completed listings of eBay sales wherever you live.

Here in the UK the asking price for an all-original 2012 Standard is approx. £1,500. Selling price might be £1,400. Non-original parts fitted drop the price another 10%-15%.

So say £1,400 if it comes with original case and all original hardware included. Perhaps £1,250 if he doesn't have all the original bits?

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'd say if it has the original tuners then all it's missing is the nut. If it plays particularly well, and feels particularly good it would probably be worth paying the going rate for an all original one and frankly, if it doesn't, pass entirely. However, if you negotiate down then great.

I'd say if it has the original tuners then all it's missing is the nut...

Nit-picking, I know, but the p'ups have been swapped.

Personally I'd have the currently-fitted '57s every day of the week over the BBs but you know how some folks are about originality?

I'd also never want Grovers. Horrible things. In my shoes I'd take the guitar as-is, sell the Min-E-Tune / G-Force on eBay and get a set of Klusons with the cash...

Nice guitar!

Pip.

• 2 weeks later...

Paid 1700 cash for it. Asking price was 2100.

Maybe overpaid by 100ish just due to the condition. There are some dings in the top and finish bubbles on headstock and other places.

I restrung it so the strings don't wrap around the tailpiece anymore. Put 10's on it.

Honestly, I really dig the g-force. It's really easy to tune and restring. I may have trouble with alternate tunings in the future but we'll see. Very figured top.

The knobs are smooth but a bit stiff to turn relative to my PRS and strat. Is this normal, I haven't played with many les pauls?

Archived