Gibson Brands Forums

Zakk Wylde Z1 Prototype

MichaelDH

So a few days go, this popped up in my local music shop. As I understand it, only 2 of these were made for Zakk Wylde but for whatever reason this model didn't go into production.

I found a listing on Ebay for this ones' twin. Part of the description includes...

"The guitar has stereo outputs so it can be played in mono or stereo. It has a Shadow Nanomag pickup at the neck and a Shadow Nanoflex pickup under the saddle. The Semi-hollow body has a spruce top and mahogany chambered body. It has a maple neck and ebony fret board with mother-of-pearl inlays. The bridge is rosewood, and the tuners are gold Grovers. It has a 25" scale and the nut width is 1 11/16".

The one I picked up has the original truss rod cover, which the Ebay listing didn't have.

It actually has a good amount of weight to it. The neck shape reminds me of a Tele.

Time to go enjoy...

VnaO6ln.jpg

yufHhpe.jpg

2FnZgRm.jpg

5ebjEhm.jpg

7x2e4P0.jpg

Thanks for posting those photos and telling us what you know about the instrument. Fascinating. Something like a new take on the Chet Atkins SST, I suppose. What kinds of tones can you get from it?

Red 333

Here's quick video I did through my IPhone, doesn't sound the greatest. Played through an Acoustisonic amp with a little reverb.

https://youtu.be/QEOieS3tKxk

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't come with a case, and I'm not sure what is available that it would fit into reasonably well. A local music store got it through MIRC. I've emailed Gibson to see if they have some info on it, waiting to hear from them yet.

Very nice. May I ask what you had to pay to bring this beauty home? Did it come with a case? And how did your dealer get a hold of it?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived