Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic

bemb

Just bought a New Les Paul Classic 2018 Pelham Blue, What a beauty, Once I installed a new set of Grover Locking Tuners, A new set of Gibson .010 instead of the .009 it came with, Locking Tailpiece Studs and a String Butler to the Headstock this Guitar is Great, If you have never tried a String Butler, you need to. It sets the strings on the nut right down the middle so you can tell this is gonna be a great add on for any 3x3 head. I chose the clear acrylic over the other 3 styles only because I did not want to block out the Les Paul on the Head. Gibson should really try these as a add on to the 2019 models. I Cant get enough of Gibson Les Pauls, I have owned one since 1973 and just could not find myself without one, to me they are the Best! eusa_clap.gif Click Link To View and scroll to bottom of the page https://imgur.com/a/bkOzu You can see how the string butler works buy sending the B,G,D and A right down the middle of the nut, it is not only for keeping it in tune because I never had problems with that but look how it takes the pressure off the side of the nut to keep it from wearing abnormally and from possible binding, it sure looks to me like it will have an effect on the guitar overall. Check it out compared to a Paul without it! The price was $45 free ship on ebay.

Many congrats on the LP.

...look how it takes the pressure off the side of the nut to keep it from wearing abnormally and from possible binding...

My LPs (in common with every other LP out there) have their (stock) nuts cut in such a manner as to direct the string path towards their posts so a device to redirect them toward the centre of the peghead would actually cause the problem you mention and would actually increase the likelihood of string binding; not alleviate it.

String Butler on a Les Paul is, IMO, to be avoided at all costs. But if having one fitted makes you happy then, equally, that's absolutely fine by me...msp_thumbup.gif...

The only way using a String Butler would make sense on an LP would be to have a new straight-pull nut installed but by then you are solving a problem which didn't exist in the first place.

Pip.

Not really sure what you are talking about......I have never seen a Paul with an angled string slot......

I respect your opinion but will stick with the butler, at least for now. Thanks Mike.

huh.gif

Hey, if you are fine with it then I'm happy for you but here's a quick snap of a nut on one of my LPs as an illustration.

You can clearly see the G and D slots are angled towards the 'corners' of the peghead and the slots for the B and A are angled but less so than the centre two;

Nut_lo-res.jpg

As I say; if you are happy with the Butler then that's absolutely OK by me. I'm not going to worry about it. But LPs do have angled slots on their nuts to direct string path.

Pip.

EDIT : Excuse the state of the guitar. The person who does the dusting for me is away on holiday......msp_blushing.gif......

I have an LP without angled string slots. Its a titanium zero fret one. There is no problem with binding and it doesnt need a string butler.

However my other Gibson is a ES-339, and despite having angled slots it would bind badly. I joined this forum after buying this guitar to ask advice about the problem.

The advice I got was 'nut sauce'. I eventually got Big-Bends sauce, though its expensive it works better than the graphite preparation I made myself.

If I ever needed a nut replacement on the 339 I would seriously consider a string butler too.

Just for the record;

Contrary to the impression I might have given by my posts above I actually like the String Butler concept.

It was discussed here a year or two ago and I checked out various reviews and such at the time as I found it to be a very interesting invention. I discovered it to be a well thought-out, nicely designed and finely crafted piece of kit but it was simply not necessary for my LPs. I haven't checked out whether any of my non-Gibson '3-per-side' guitars have straight-cut nuts but as I don't have any binding worries it's not important for me to know.

If at any future time I find a guitar which does have binding problems and a lube doesn't help then a String Butler might be a good option.

Pip.

EDIT : And thanks for the info and correction re: the Titanium Zero Fret as fitted to LPs, M-E. I haven't spent long enough with a LP so equipped to notice some fine details and this is clearly one such detail I've overlooked. I wonder if this might have been one of the reasons so many folks were having binding problems with the original brass(?) Zero-Fret nuts?

Carrying on with this thought might the String Butler have been invented partly as a result of the numerous nut issues with the 2015 Gibson range?......eusa_think.gif......

Carrying on with this thought might the String Butler have been invented partly as a result of the numerous nut issues with the 2015 Gibson range?......eusa_think.gif......

I'm not sure when it was invented. I first heard of it last year. I did find some posts going back to 2016 online but didn't dig around too much to see if it goes back further. I've never had the issue where I needed such a thing but I agree as well that it's a good alternative for people having these issues when they've run out of other options. It may have been as a result of the 2015's but people have been complaining about tuning issues forever.

I think if the nut is cut properly, graphite or other alternative lube, bridge/tailpiece is aligned at the proper angle, tuners are working properly and perhaps most importantly, the guitar is strung properly, they shouldn't go out of tune very often. I think I fine tune mine every week or two, if needed.

pippy, how did you get the photo on the gibson sight, I tried the imgur and got it so you can see photos there but I could'nt figure out how to put it on gibsons sight!

Hi Mike.

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as the picture hosting site I use (postimage.org) but it might be as simple as removing the text and square brackets at the start and end of your link.

I'll show you how I do it with postimage and it might be a similar process for you and imgur.

Say you wanted to upload this image;

owu_SZn_F.jpg

Click on the image in your host site and you should get a range of options as regards link codes such as this;

Hotlink_info.jpg

On postimage I choose the one which says 'Hotlink for Forums' - here highlighted green.

Paste the code into your post and remove the square brackets and info contained therein at the start and end of the link (leaving the other square brackets & img text) - here highlighted orange.

When you post your reply it should leave the image as intended without any nonsense surrounding it.

I hope this will be of help but I don't know the imgur setup so am really guessing in the dark.

If it doesn't work this way with imgur then I'm afraid I can't help you - except to advise you to use postimage instead......msp_laugh.gif......

Pip.

I had never heard of a string butler before this thread.

I make no comment about its design or effectiveness but I wouldn't want one on any of my guitars. It makes the headstock look "too busy" for my taste.

Nice to hear from you again Chris.

Thanks man! I've had some difficult times I've been working through last few months, so I took a break joining in here. I was getting very irritable, but I have been working on getting a work-life balance going on here, and I didn't want to start tirades and such because of my stressed mental state. "Life" was affecting my sleep and mental state as the stresses had taken a bit of a toll on me for a period of time, but hopefully everything is stabilizing. I haven't checked up here in quite some time, but I hope to contribute to the group and keep it civil with every positive contributing member. I started playing guitar/keyboard with a new group of guys (in my free time) and handling raising a little one back at home - on top of working every weekday 8-5, so my time has been pretty booked. As I said, getting a grip on life can be difficult at times, but I'm trying to do the best I can. All anyone can ask of their selves I suppose... Anyhow, trying to turn a new leaf here and focus on the positives to start putting on a smile more often.

I can say one thing though... This 2018 LP Classic is one nice piece of work and I enjoy playing it. This has helped me clear the air up in my head msp_biggrin.gif

Chris, love the gibson set up, may be interested in getting a nighthawk except my wife would probably beat the crap out of me especially since I got myself down to 2, but at 67 I would like to get down to one, I dont play alot anymore but I just love the Gibson Brand.

You might like a 90's Nighthawk... They aren't overly expensive right now. If you have questions, I am pretty familiar with the model. I obviously have a strong affinity to them, haha!

I dig your new Classic though. When I purchased mine, I was torn between which finish to get on mine - was initially leading towards the blue, but once I saw the goldtop, it just made me want that more. Very subjective decision as the pelham blue just as beautiful IMO. I can only have one.. and I wanted a goldtop, can you blame me? msp_biggrin.gif It is sort of like a 1956 reissue, but definitely not a historic re-creation entirely. You have to pay quite a bit more for the 1956 custom shop reissue (or the real thing!)... Either way, I liked the Classic from day one that it was placed into my hands. Nice, simple, great sounding Les Paul - just the way I like them!

Hopefully you get inspired to play some more and let that new Classic sing away. Gibson makes some nice guitars that's for sure, and I believe that we both share a love for the brand.

Guest Farnsbarns

Straight sting pull is a myth.

If you really think about it, the string is pulled over the nut and changes direction. There is friction over the nut. Neither the string, nor the nut know that that friction is not perpendicular to the fretboard. It makes no difference whatsoever.

Archived