Gibson Brands Forums

1930s Ward/Kalamazoo Archtop

Spirithawk

I recently picked up a vintage archtop at a yard sale. The headstock has WARD inlaid, and as far as I can tell, it's the same exact guitar as those arch tops made by Gibson during the Depression with the headstock having the Kalamazoo logo. Same exact finish, trapeze, bridge, pick-guard,tuners and neck. I know Gibson had a deal with Montgomery Ward and made these guitars as more of a budget model to help keep the plant afloat during the difficult times. These were made in the early to mid 1930s. From what I've read, these guitars were made using the same wood as the higher end models but just with lesser embellishments. Just more plain and not as fancy. I've only found one listing for another marked WARDS ( Mine is just marked WARD with a WARDS label on the inside.) but it wasn't for sale. The few Kalamazoo marked ones I've found are averaging $1,000 and a bit more and are in very much the same condition as mine. I figure I got a real gem, and a killer deal, as I only paid $40 for mine. I just fell in love with it at first sight though and plan on keeping it. Now here is my questions; Inside the back is stamped A72 in ink. I'm guessing that was the order number? On the WARDS label, stamped twice in ink, is what appears to be FE6. Any idea as to the meaning of that? I can find no serial number but read that's not unusual for that era. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. This guitar already has a place in my heart! :)

Archived