Gibson Brands Forums

LP junior Serial number missing

Price88

HI,

So I am about to pull the trigger on a vintage Les Paul Junior. Its a vintage double cut from a dealer. The guitar is missing the serial number as it has been refinished and has had a few other changes which mean i cannot precisely date the guitar. Is it common to find a guitar that has no serial number if its refinished? The dealer seems legit and has been very open about the guitars history. He has even offered for me to speak with the previous owner and the guitar appears to have come from Canada some time ago (I am based in the UK).

Any advice would be appreciated on the refinish. As far as I'm aware the pots have also been changed so I just wanted to know if this has been heard of before? The price of the guitar is fair for the changes that have been made so I do think I'm paying a fair price.

Thanks

HI,

So I am about to pull the trigger on a vintage Les Paul Junior. Its a vintage double cut from a dealer. The guitar is missing the serial number as it has been refinished and has had a few other changes which mean i cannot precisely date the guitar. Is it common to find a guitar that has no serial number if its refinished? The dealer seems legit and has been very open about the guitars history. He has even offered for me to speak with the previous owner and the guitar appears to have come from Canada some time ago (I am based in the UK).

Any advice would be appreciated on the refinish. As far as I'm aware the pots have also been changed so I just wanted to know if this has been heard of before? The price of the guitar is fair for the changes that have been made so I do think I'm paying a fair price.

Thanks

I can tell you that ,to me, the vintage value goes way down with those type of changes....refin, electronics, etc.

I once made a "blind deal" for a 1960 double-cut cherry LPJunior.

It had original finish, although it had serious top-fade. The serial # had been intentionally scratched off...except for the leading "0".

Besides the fact, that i dis-liked the skinny 60's neck, i always felt 'dirty' about the disguised serial #, like it had been stolen or something.

Could not get rid of it fast enough!

That's my story...!

Archived