Gibson Brands Forums

$5000 - what would you buy

uncle fester

I woke up this morning with a feeling someone was just going to give me $5k today. I had this feeling one other time and ended winning $50k on the lottery (not really, all is make believe ; ). Regardless - I've got my wish list (make an offer to Zombywoof for his CF100 ; ) then an acoustic set up for playing out.

If all of a sudden you came upon $5k - what would you get?

Rgds -billroy

I would go for a brownish burst plastic bridged ceramic saddled first wave late 62, 63 or early 64 Hummingbird.

If not an original tune-o-matic saddled tomato red waffle-back tuner Dove from that same era.

Both providers of the last voices I miss in the herd - 2 what we could call genuine classic 'modern' Gibson sounds.

Though respected and admired so immensely, time has passed the J-200s for me.

And only if changing social level in general would 1 tulip tuner warm amber burst Jumbo be brought home.

Thx for allowing me to dream loud, sir.

At this point, the oldest best J45 or J50 I could find, however I'm interested in the J45 12 fretter. Don't want the pick guard or the electronics. Checking my home equity line right now. Storm clouds on the horizon.

Sweetwater?

Vintage, I’d go for a Southern Jumbo of some variety. I’ve always wanted one but have never had one come my way.

New, probably a Dylan SJ200 Players Edition. I’ve never heard any that are less than stellar.

There is nothing I need or am on the lookout for. But, as we all know, need ain't got nothing to do with it. If I had $5K burning a hole in my pocket, the one Gibson in that price range I would be trying out would one of those no longer available Jackson Browne Model 1s. At this point though I would more than likely go in a direction other than a Gibson. I am still waiting to get my hands on one of the Pre-War Guitar Co. offerings. Possibly a John Walker Wise River. With me though, if I do buy anything else, the winner will be whatever shows up at the door first. I am not only lazy but one of the luckiest SOBs on the planet when it comes to having guitars fall into my lap.

And by the way, the relationship between me and the CF-100E is not going to be a lifelong thing. If you asked a Magic 8 Ball what the chances are that I will trade it off down the line it would say "Outlook Good."

I woke up this morning with a feeling someone was just going to give me $5k today. I had this feeling one other time and ended winning $50k on the lottery (not really, all is make believe ; ). Regardless - I've got my wish list (make an offer to Zombywoof for his CF100 ; ) then an acoustic set up for playing out.

If all of a sudden you came upon $5k - what would you get?

Rgds -billroy

Is that $5Ks worth in the US and transport and customs and exchange rate paid for - to deliver it here in Australia? Otherwise that $5K guitar will cost closer to $10K here! And $5K here doesn’t get a lot....

So the only current Gibson acoustic I would like to try is the L-00 Vintage with thermo top.

Zombi mentioned PreWar Guitar Co - most of their line is.....ha ha....$5K! One of their J45 copies in the full, relic number 4 beaten to a shite for me!

And speaking of crying out for full relic no 4, how about all the new range of Waterloos? (Copies of Kalamazoos!) they look too new, but sound old, we are told. Why isn’t Gibson Acoustic doing some of these Kalamazoos? Or at least suing Collings? But either way, for $5K, I could get 2 Waterloos! And get them relic’d! I fancy the WL14 Ladder Braced T Bar and the WL-S Deluxe copy of the old Stella! Both guitars for under $5K. I don’t think I would have bought some of the ‘nearly what I want but not’ guitars I have over the years if these were around!

BluesKing777.

Nothing wrong with dreaming, thank you all for the replies - and some nice stuff being thought of! (and BK... $5k is for the instrument only - the gods have provide free shipping and transport to anyone in the world!)

rgds - billroy

I think with a pocketful of guitar cash I'd head up to Wildwood and walk out with the best sounding J200 of the 30+ they have in stock.

... Possibly a John Walker Wise River ....

There is a very nice looking Wise River on the Collings forum for $2700 shipped.

My philosophy for some years has been to go for variety....

Much to the consternation of friends and Mrs V

So I go for guitars that play and sound good....without the cache of big names.....usually low-medium price.....

Meaning that $5000 could finance 4 to 5 work horses.....:blink:

This advice is given with due diligence (space permitting).....dry.gif

Hope it helps....[unsure]

V

:-({|=

I'd buy sals j50

You are awesome to say that. I am very proud of it...

I came home today after being away for five or six days; I had withdrawal from being away from my guitars. I have been playing the J50 for the last hour or so and it does EVERYTHING. Fingerpick, flatpick, bluegrass runs (yikes I have been trying to learn), cowboy strumming... It does it all. And drop the D - watch the other guitars in the room stretch their necks with envy to catch a glimpse... Thunderous!

Book value its worth about $2,000. I could easily sell it for a few hundred more, but frankly I wouldnt sell it for $4,000. I just could not replace it. The setup. The pickup. The growl. The look. The everything.

By the way the Bird is pretty nice too. The stings are getting old on it though. I need to change them, although I'd wager Em7 would like the sound as is.

The D18 sounds outstanding with Martin Retro strings on it - they just dont die.

By the way ... the little LG2 American Eagle that I put the new guard on... with its Baggs Element VTC pickup... its the best sounding live guitar I have - at least today. Whereas acoustically the guitar has little low end, through the Fishman I have to turn down the lows.... and it sounds amazing. I am going to ask my son if I can gig with it a few times before I return it. Its a sweet guitar.

Oh... and with regard to this thread - I am almost with Lars. I'd have to choose between two guitars - the Gruhn special order D18 with sinker mahogany (Vince Gill bought about five of them. I suppose it might be good enough for me.) and the Gibson Western Classic. Janusguy had one I think and sold it. I was so tempted at the time.

I think with a pocketful of guitar cash I'd head up to Wildwood and walk out with the best sounding J200 of the 30+ they have in stock.

There is a very nice looking Wise River on the Collings forum for $2700 shipped.

Oooh, I could swing it but when the rubber hits the road, I will find a hundred reasons not to.

Since I am so happy with my '48 J-50, I would try to find the 12 fret Martin 000-18 Norman Blake. They pop up from time to time. Here is an old ad from Elderly. If you find one you can usually get it for $2500 to $3000. BK there is one for sale in Australia, but they want around 4K. Yikes!

https://www.elderly.com/martin-000-18-norman-blake-signature-model-2007.htm

Since I am so happy with my '48 J-50, I would try to find the 12 fret Martin 000-18 Norman Blake. They pop up from time to time. Here is an old ad from Elderly. If you find one you can usually get it for $2500 to $3000. BK there is one for sale in Australia, but they want around 4K. Yikes!

https://www.elderly.com/martin-000-18-norman-blake-signature-model-2007.htm

Yes, that is what happens here, Bayou! For example, the one in your old link at Elderly is $2650. If I hit the 'Buy' button, though it would be a fool to do so without emailing them to get a better deal, but if I did hit the buy button, I have a general formula which seems to get it pretty close....add 62%. So the Elderly $2650 has massive delivery charge, Customs and brokering fees, exchange rates and later a little surprise credit card fee from the bank....then we arrive at the Australian price: $4293.

I have the close cousin of the NB, my 2002 Martin OM18V...same guitar and V neck but 14 frets...wonderful guitar and possibly more easy to find that the NB.

BluesKing777.

Yes, that is what happens here, Bayou! For example, the one in your old link at Elderly is $2650. If I hit the 'Buy' button, though it would be a fool to do so without emailing them to get a better deal, but if I did hit the buy button, I have a general formula which seems to get it pretty close....add 62%. So the Elderly $2650 has massive delivery charge, Customs and brokering fees, exchange rates and later a little surprise credit card fee from the bank....then we arrive at the Australian price: $4293.

I have the close cousin of the NB, my 2002 Martin OM18V...same guitar and V neck but 14 frets...wonderful guitar and possibly more easy to find that the NB.

BluesKing777.

You had mentioned that before. So your local stores have to deal with the same financial situation which means they have charge the 4K, correct?

You had mentioned that before. So your local stores have to deal with the same financial situation which means they have charge the 4K, correct?

Correct, plus some padding! [thumbdn]

The other way around if you want a Maton made in Australia. You pay double.

BluesKing777.

Archived