Gibson Brands Forums

ES Les Paul with MHS Pickups

Djhblues

Hello- new to the forum but would like to share with other owners of ES-Les Pauls. I purchased a 2015 model from CME last year, and am extremely pleased with the guitar. Ive been playing a Fender EJ strat as well as a G&L USA Asat classic for years and the ES Les Paul has been a blast to play with. I love the MHS pickups, particularly through my '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. Anyway, glad to be aboard

• Like 1

I bought a 2016 ES Les Paul Bass from CME last September or so with MHS pickups designed just for that bass. I've been impressed with that bass & it's pickups from the start. I've had many Gibsons through the years & it quickly became one of my favorites. About a month ago, I picked up a used 2015 ES Les Paul guitar, another great instrument! The MHS pickups sound great! I love the way the neck pickup growls at different amp settings. I hope they re establish the Memphis facility & produce these guitars again. It seems that the last ones were produced in 2016.

FnGl7eal.jpg

Edited by Grog
  • Like 1

Very nice- I picked up the Bourbon Burst one from CME with a 15% off sale last August. At that price, it was a steal. I get compliments on tone and looks every time I play it. Like people has said: its a Les Paul with its own voicing. It also sound great through my AC15 w/Celestion Blue, but cranking it through my'68 Custom Deluxe Reverb and a Full Drive is is tone heaven.

quote name='Grog' timestamp='1523194216' post='1928800']

I bought a 2016 ES Les Paul Bass from CME last September or so with MHS pickups designed just for that bass. I've been impressed with that bass & it's pickups from the start. I've had many Gibsons through the years & it quickly became one of my favorites. About a month ago, I picked up a used 2015 ES Les Paul guitar, another great instrument! The MHS pickups sound great! I love the way the neck pickup growls at different amp settings. I hope they re establish the Memphis facility & produce these guitars again. It seems that the last ones were produced in 2016.

FnGl7eal.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice- I picked up the Bourbon Burst one from CME with a 15% off sale last August. At that price, it was a steal. I get compliments on tone and looks every time I play it. Like people has said: its a Les Paul with its own voicing. It also sound great through my AC15 w/Celestion Blue, but cranking it through my'68 Custom Deluxe Reverb and a Full Drive is is tone heaven.

I picked my bass up from CME at a 15% discount around September. Right after I bought mine, which I thought was deeply discounted, they went down another $750. I'm still quite happy with it. Many of the guitars sold by venders at full price are still unsold.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It seems as if I'm in the minority of players who don't care for the MHS.  The 57's are to me the "Coke classic". from the cola wars.. why change it if it's working.

So far I have and have had a half dozen gits with MHS, for me in most cases they are too thin sounding. My LP-ES special with 57's in all cases sounds better in every amp I played it through.  

One day I may make a project out of the standard and pull the MHS because it sure is a looker and worthy of being played more often.. 

lp_es_both.jpg.334455d7eb3847c83a2d7596f4cdabd3.jpg

Edited by gnappi
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Joe'Da said:

I forgot to say memphis es bass les paul bass 2016, can i use rounds on it without having pickup issues???

I don't see why not. I'm still running the flat wounds on mine, but I wouldn't hesitate to change them. Gibson just thought that the flat wounds would add a unique character to this model. Let us know how you like the sound after you change them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Gibson Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul with MHS Pickups & Bigsby.. It is a truly fabulous Guitar.. A Black Beauty weighing in at 5.5lbs....

I'm in the Market for the same Guitar only in a Gold Top ES LP with P90's & Bigsby...  

With those 2 Guitars I can probably do anything my 35 other various Electric Guitars can do... I'll probably sell them all...

L

PS Grog, that Bass is a beauty... I'd like to get one of those too.......

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1