Gibson Brands Forums

Pick me out an Acoustic/Electric!

jonwb

Hi.. first post

My first instrument was acoustic guitar. Later moved onto bass & keyboards but still can play a few songs on guitar. That said, I'm approaching 60 (a young 60!) and I'd like to purchase an acoustic/electric to record a few originals with. Also, there's a pretty good chance (given my family's history) that I'll end up with dementia or worse and I'd like to stimulate my brain a little by re-learning the instrument I was so fond of as a kid. I have about $2,500 to spend and like my quality basses, I'd like to buy something that will appreciate in value for my son's to keep. I would prefer a Gibson but if there are better recording guitars, so be it.

I'm not opposed to buying used. In fact, if there's a recommended dealer that sells at fair markups I'd prefer that. Otherwise, my Sweetwater Card is open to monthly payments.

Thanks,

Jonathan

J45 or Hummingbird would be my choice. Nice factory fitted unobtrusive pickups and terrific acoustic tone. Short scale necks so will be kind to your fretting hand if you find a touch of arthritis sets in as time goes on. Of my herd, those will be the ones that stay with me into retirement, when my left hand and right shoulder can’t cope with my big old SJ200 anymore.

I'm with Jinder.

If you want it to appreciate in value get a nice used J-45 or Hummingbird that has already bottomed out in value. At that point it will hold it's own or increase with the drop in value of fiat money.

Best of luck.

Gotta be a J45, like others said, try for used with a pick up... really good deals out there.

Then anything you don't spend on the guitar, plan to invest because later you will need a Hummingbird, J185, J200 (probably a couple because the maple one Mr Gibs highlights is the bomb, but not the first I'd get)... and a CF 100. That should get you started :)

Enjoy - you are not going to go wrong!

....Then anything you don't spend on the guitar, plan to invest because later you will need a Hummingbird, J185, J200 (probably a couple because the maple one Mr Gibs highlights is the bomb, but not the first I'd get)... and a CF 100. That should get you started :)

Yeah!

Welcome NewB!

A nice dilemma to have. As one of our members (RCT) says - "a good First World dilemma!".

If I were me - I'd pack a lunch and plan on spending the afternoon at a Guitar Center. Get some PBJ fingerprints on as many guitars as you can.

The objective - to get a feel for what is comfortable (Iong neck/short neck, big body/mid-size/parlour) and more importantly - what 'tone' sounds best to you. Some are 'bright' some are 'dark' or honey-toned. Some loud, some have sustain. See which you prefer.

Since you're looking for a 'high ender' you shouldn't waste time and gray matter on guitars under $1,000 new. You may find a nice $4k new one you can then go on the GC Website 'Used' page to search for one around $2,500 in 'good' or 'excellent' shape. That GC store will send it to the one closest to you - or to you direct, with a return policy that is pretty fair.

Of course, if you don't live near a GC.... skip this suggestion.

It's difficult to go wrong with a J-45/50. The 1970's production is probably best avoided until you have a little more personal expertise. Otherwise, those models have been Gibson icons as long as they've been in production - and with good reason. Generally, they're versatile and comfortable playing guitars that deliver a classic Gibson sound and response. Some really nice models like the Hummingbird are popular, but a good J-45/50 will definitely appreciate in value over time and would make a splendid heirloom item. My notion is to avoid feeling the need to buy "furniture" in terms of pristine cosmetic condition and concentrate on how the instrument sounds and plays.

Then anything you don't spend on the guitar, plan to invest because later you will need a Hummingbird, J185, J200 (probably a couple because the maple one Mr Gibs highlights is the bomb, but not the first I'd get)... and a CF 100. That should get you started :)

You might be able to score a used CF-100E Reissue in that price range but you will not touch an original at that price point.

I'd like to buy something that will appreciate in value for my son's to keep.

Personally I think that's a poor reason for guitar choice, who knows what will happen to it over the years. Maybe you will want to customize it in ways that reduce its value? Or one clumsy slip could cause it to drop by $1000. IMO, buy the one that feels and sounds the best. And go somewhere that you can sit and try a number of guitars. Never bought a guitar I couldn't play first and never will.

I'd like to buy something that will appreciate in value for my son's to keep. I would prefer a Gibson but if there are better recording guitars, so be it.

I agree that, unless you own a crystal ball, this is not something you should factor in. If you want a guitar that holds it value amazingly well you would have to go with something like a Collings. I only own two guitars acquired in the past ten or so years that have shot up in value. But they are both older instruments that I bought on the cheap and ended up putting $400 to $500 into in repairs. One is worth double what I have in it and the other easily five to six times my total investment. For me though that just evens out the other guitars I have more in than I could get in a resale.

If your real goal is to pass it along to your kids, then the fact that it was your guitar is all that should really matter to them. You can't place a dollar value on that. :) There was a thread here recently where someone was trying to get an idea of the value of his father's guitar so he could sell it. Haven't seen him since, maybe he wasn't happy when people suggested that it might be worth $1000 instead of the $3000 he was hoping for. Certainly is his right to do anything he wanted, and of course I don't know anything about him. But it made me a little sad anyway...

I'd like to buy something that will appreciate in value for my son's to keep.

Always a good selling point to make to your wife, to get her to go along with your making a guitar purchase! Don’t listen to what the others here are saying to the contrary. Next they will tell you to not buy her a gift when she says no gifts this next wedding anniversary! 😄

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived