Gibson Brands Forums

A beautiful, far away 'Bird (maple), and a question . . .

62burst

Finally found a beautiful maple Hummingbird that's not of the loud red variety. And it's a "new" 2012 new old stock model, at that. Of course, it just had to be half a world away in Australia: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-USA-CUSTOM-SHOP-HUMMINGBIRD-QUILT-LIMITED-EDITION-UNPLAYED-MINT/142743556829?hash=item213c2dd2dd:g:0~cAAOSwpp9awuq~.

Not really feeling the expense, or the long distance roll of the dice on it, but 'thought I'd ask for those who look at/for such things in listings- in the higher resolution photos (the blue print "see full item description") . . . does the action look high to you? It is said that string action height is not the job of truss rod adjustment, but I've had good luck with a small tweak of the truss rod on guitars that have sat unused for a while, and the Hummingbird in this listing has sat for ~6 years. Thx.

tJnI8Ql.png?2

5anPENS.png?2

It’s beautiful, but I agree the action is rather high and there doesn’t seem to be much adjustment room in the saddle department.

Worst case scenario is a neck reset-given that it’s a rare and beautiful guitar and not inexpensive, would the extra $300 or so for a reset be a dealbreaker? I would imagine that it may just be a truss rod tweak required, but even if it isn’t, a reset isn’t the end of the world.

I had the privilege of playing Frank Turner’s Maple ‘Bird that he keeps aboard his tourbus when I was in Croatia for the Super Uho festival last Summer. Absolutely transcendent instrument, the best bits of a Bird and a Dove all in one package.

Yes I was looking at that 62.But it soon went over my maximum of $3000 AUS. Love the burst color especially compared with the red...which makes me think of a $400 epiphone.

We had a cooked top Hummingbird recently on Oz ebay too.That also went for just over my max.

Yes I was looking at that 62.But it soon went over my maximum of $3000 AUS. Love the burst color especially compared with the red...which makes me think of a $400 epiphone.

We had a cooked top Hummingbird recently on Oz ebay too.That also went for just over my max.

Uh-oh, FB has caught the 'Bird flu. . .

. . . can't wait to hear how that pans out. [smile]

Good find - but admit the action looks a bit disturbing, , , especially in relation to the normal/low saddle.

It seems to demand a dramatic tr-turn to bring it down. So drastic that no one actually dared or managed to do it.

Q is if it's a matter of time before Bozeman changes the hue of the new ones.

We know how that happens over the years and it would be nice to see the power-cherry adjusted, , , , to something else than toy-burst.

Keep hunting

1523135803[/url]' post='1928695']

It's beautiful, but I agree the action is rather high and there doesn't seem to be much adjustment room in the saddle department.

Worst case scenario is a neck reset-given that it's a rare and beautiful guitar and not inexpensive, would the extra $300 or so for a reset be a dealbreaker? I would imagine that it may just be a truss rod tweak required, but even if it isn't, a reset isn't the end of the world.

I had the privilege of playing Frank Turner's Maple 'Bird that he keeps aboard his tourbus when I was in Croatia for the Super Uho festival last Summer. Absolutely transcendent instrument, the best bits of a Bird and a Dove all in one package.

Unrelated, but I saw Frank Turner this past autumn when he opened for Jason Isbell at Red Rocks. He loves to engage the audience. Fantastic entertainer. He played newer J45s with the white bat wing pick guards...

Unrelated, but I saw Frank Turner this past autumn when he opened for Jason Isbell at Red Rocks. He loves to engage the audience. Fantastic entertainer. He played newer J45s with the white bat wing pick guards...

He’s terrific, isn’t he? Really lovely guy too. Had his wife and little one on the road with him in Croatia, he seems to have the work/life balance really dialled in. Interesting that he’s playing J45s now, he had several Hummingbirds with him when I saw him, but mentioned that they had done a lot of work and it might be time for some new blood.

He and I have been loosely acquainted for a long time now, my old band Candlefire opened for his old group Million Dead a couple of times back in 2002ish, and I’ve really enjoyed watching him rise from post hardcore cult artist to a genuinely great singer/songwriter and international star.

Finally found a beautiful maple Hummingbird that's not of the loud red variety. And it's a "new" 2012 new old stock model, at that. Of course, it just had to be half a world away in Australia: https://www.ebay.com...cAAOSwpp9awuq~.

Not really feeling the expense, or the long distance roll of the dice on it, but 'thought I'd ask for those who look at/for such things in listings- in the higher resolution photos (the blue print "see full item description") . . . does the action look high to you? It is said that string action height is not the job of truss rod adjustment, but I've had good luck with a small tweak of the truss rod on guitars that have sat unused for a while, and the Hummingbird in this listing has sat for ~6 years. Thx.

tJnI8Ql.png?2

5anPENS.png?2

Maybe Gibson thought everyone would like a versitile slide guitar in there acoustic lineup.. :) I have a L1 Tribute like that too... except I could not find the bar in the Pocket of the case..

Maybe Gibson thought everyone would like a versitile slide guitar in there acoustic lineup.. :) I have a L1 Tribute like that too... except I could not find the bar in the Pocket of the case..

You've got me to thinking . . . maybe the guitar is just fine- was it Gibson or was it Martin guitars that were known for shipping them with high action, thinking easier to lower (at the) bridge, than to raise the river. Bear in mind, this 2012 is about as new as a New Old Stock could be.

You've got me to thinking . . . maybe the guitar is just fine- was it Gibson or was it Martin guitars that were known for shipping them with high action, thinking easier to lower (at the) bridge, than to raise the river. Bear in mind, this 2012 is about as new as a New Old Stock could be.

it is possible.. rather have to high than to low.. I do have a J100 from a few years ago the same way.. I trimmed the saddle to make it work.. I am not sure if they make these angles of the neck and saddle as a complete fit prior to the pickup strip going in..

it is possible.. rather have to high than to low.. I do have a J100 from a few years ago the same way.. I trimmed the saddle to make it work.. I am not sure if they make these angles of the neck and saddle as a complete fit prior to the pickup strip going in..

Hi Slim,

Thanks for sending us all the wet heavy snow. We got 5 inches last night. I was thinking of you when I was shoveling this morning.

The geometry for the neck angle is determined right at the neck fit area. It is different for every guitar. The guitar is still in white/wood. Then the guitar goes thru the spray booth and then the bridge is attached. The bridge fitter has several different Thicknesses of bridges to choose from and when his measurements line up he installs the bridge. It's a pretty complicated process for sure. Both the neck fit station and the bridge area have some pretty sophisticated measuring tools that help get the geometry correct. The pick-up strip is put in much further down the line. The actual string height is determined in the set-up area where the tuners and strings are installed. Gibson now uses a plek machine to do a lot of the fine tuning.

Please stop by on your trek south this year. I have several guitars you haven't seen.

Hi Slim,

Thanks for sending us all the wet heavy snow. We got 5 inches last night. I was thinking of you when I was shoveling this morning.

The geometry for the neck angle is determined right at the neck fit area. It is different for every guitar. The guitar is still in white/wood. Then the guitar goes thru the spray booth and then the bridge is attached. The bridge fitter has several different Thicknesses of bridges to choose from and when his measurements line up he installs the bridge. It's a pretty complicated process for sure. Both the neck fit station and the bridge area have some pretty sophisticated measuring tools that help get the geometry correct. The pick-up strip is put in much further down the line. The actual string height is determined in the set-up area where the tuners and strings are installed. Gibson now uses a plek machine to do a lot of the fine tuning.

Please stop by on your trek south this year. I have several guitars you haven't seen.

your on my stopping list this year Hogeye.. maybe more than just once this year too.. btw.. your welcome about the snow.. we got more this morning as well.. I thought it came from where you are.. :) too funny..

as for the guitars.. Im not sure why there high in the action dept.. it may have alot to do with taught strings, climate adjustment and sitting for a while.. Im not concerned about it.. easy fixes..

Finally found a beautiful maple Hummingbird that's not of the loud red variety. And it's a "new" 2012 new old stock model, at that. Of course, it just had to be half a world away in Australia: https://www.ebay.com...cAAOSwpp9awuq~.

tJnI8Ql.png?2

5anPENS.png?2

sure a nice looking guitar...

Archived