Gibson Brands Forums

Break My Heart...no $$$

jedzep

I did check out the video. It sounded pretty good, but he bangs the hell out of it with his thumb, so it wasn't that great of a demo IMHO. With the Fret job and a probable neck reset, you're looking at around $900, but with the buy in price you could end up with a nice sound player's vintage instrument at a not crazy cost.

I just spent a thou on the 2001 WMJ50, a model I hadn't even heard of until last week, otherwise I'd have taken a chance on rehabbing this. I'm looking forward to just having a J that sounds good and is ez on the hands at this point.

There also seems to have been some moving around of the bridge. That one dot is off. Not much info either. Bracing, neck angle, etc.

It's not refinished, of course, rather it's stripped. That's different.

I just spent a thou on the 2001 WMJ50, a model I hadn't even heard of until last week, otherwise I'd have taken a chance on rehabbing this. I'm looking forward to just having a J that sounds good and is ez on the hands at this point.

There also seems to have been some moving around of the bridge. That one dot is off. Not much info either. Bracing, neck angle, etc.

It's not refinished, of course, rather it's stripped. THat's different.

With ya.

Didn't see any mention of neck angle problems, might set the record for the shortest demo, though. Video cuts just as he's saying "these are, you know, . . ." What? . . . good guitars?, or judging by the sound and look of the strings, "a fresh set of 80/20's" ? As hard as he was getting into it, it certainly doesn't seem to have any fret buzz.

So, JedZep, congrats on the incoming WM-45; I think you'll find that to be a comfy sounder. 'Couldn't find it being discussed here recently. Will we be getting some NGD pics, or maybe the original link?

I just spent a thou on the 2001 WMJ50, a model I hadn't even heard of until last week...

I can totally relate. After getting on all of these forums I end up lusting after guitars that I didn't even know existed. This is happening with me right now over the Martin Norman Blake 12 fret 000-18. :)

Think I showed the sale link, J. Even as this is riding the truck across the northern plains I'm trading info with the seller about the head stock fracture. You may get to play it if you make the trip to Orville's gravesite. After all, I hold you personally responsible for pushing me across the threshold, for better or worse. I was able to get the seller to chop the price. Bought it off Reverb but here's the Ebay listing where you can access the original listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Gibson-WM-45-Working-Man-J-45-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-w-ohc-J-50-/173249066569?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=BBA6CR0Pu3kSIc9mGK78Ql8NYxU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Think I showed the sale link, J. Even as this is riding the truck across the northern plains I'm trading info with the seller about the head stock fracture. You may get to play it if you make the trip to Orville's gravesite. After all, I hold you personally responsible for pushing me across the threshold, for better or worse. I was able to get the seller to chop the price. Bought it off Reverb but here's the Ebay listing where you can access the original listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Gibson-WM-45-Working-Man-J-45-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-w-ohc-J-50-/173249066569?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=BBA6CR0Pu3kSIc9mGK78Ql8NYxU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Yes, the trip to Orville's cemetery marker is on the list- it will be 100 years since his passing in August. . . there could be some sort of epitaph addition in order then, judging by how things go with corporate G in that month.

As for the WM- thanks for refreshing my memory; if that's a morado fretboard, it's some of the nicest I've seen. Hopeful that all is well in the neck department- other than the repair, the guitar seems to have been taken care of, including it's case.

The lack of fret buzz with that hard fingernail frailing might mean excessive string height, Bayou. Yeah, neck set. Another 'if'. I've sent questions but the seller is out of town for the weekend and not near the guitar.

It's always interesting trying to buy a diamond in the rough from a seller who doesn't have vintage acoustic expertise.

My head hurts.

Buy it now for $1700? What's the catch? What's the deal with the rosette?

That FON batch (3648) is only 3 away from my J-45 (3644). I'd buy it in a heartbeat at that price. I think it's more likely a J-50, by the stain color on the back and sides.

I know, Nick. This sucker haunts me. I wonder why someone would strip the head stock. Wouldn't this originally have had a rectangular bridge?

No. Belly-up replaced rectangular bridge sometime in 1948.

The good thing is that the headstock is a really easy fix, since it is only painted, rather than having an overlay. I would also remove the paint over the rosette, just to see what's going on.

Thanks, I needed that. I was a little shaky, but out of the blue the seller gave me a courtesy phone call and I got to throw questions and get the back story. He couldn't remember the nut width though. Fat fingers crossed. Awesome day.<br>

Archived