Gibson Brands Forums

Another old Birdy

E-minor7

This is worth a listen. Normans test-pilot* does again - and lords bless him. (rather good playing this time)

The burst is still rather happy, but the sound has developed what I really dig about the plastic bridged ceramic saddled versions.

Not yet able to explain what it is (and some if you may disagree) - never the less I'm after one of these : An early 60's plast/clay square.

1963 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0XOkWJnu30

'Xcuse me, don't know the fellows name.

I like him tho. So bullet-proof he becomes vulnerable, , , especially in leather.

Rrok on there

That's one great-sounding 'bird, and this guy knows how to drag the tone out of it.

A lot of people are too gentle with Gibson square dreads. Many seem to need a very firm hand to come to life. This one does.

The first "Hummingbird" was, of course, the Epi Frontier which went into production in 1959.

I have never been able to make peace with either guitar though. I just do not cotton to the neck carves. I know I can get a thicker carve and wider nut in a Bozeman-made version but then would not have the same un-scalloped bracing the originals had and which I really liked. Its is a conundrum.

And I have never been accused of having a light touch. This is the reason I always set the actions on my guitars to what most consider the high side of normal. One of the most common criticisms you will hear me utter when I try an acoustic out is I find the actions set too low. It became a running joke among the staffs at the music shops who knew me well.

This is killing me. I'm missing my '64. I'm gonna have to go down and visit it. Still not the same as playing it though.

At least he's not wearing metal dangly cuff links like he did with that other bird.

Archived