• You cannot reply to this topic

Lee Malia RD Artisan

#21 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationSouthern Pennsylvania

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

View PostMatt4356, on 14 April 2018 - 05:59 AM, said:

Nice to see some real binding, none of that fake photo 'binding' seen on a certain gibson.
Maybe one day you can afford real binding.

Well until then he can keep using white out or sharing pictures of guitars with real binding I guess.
Equipment:
I have guitars, amps, pedals, cables, various other things and a strong affinity for short signature lines. . .

#22 User is offline   cody78 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationEngland

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

The thing I don't get is if he hates Epiphone's so much, why does he spend so much time posting in this forum? It's not even a rational argument he has for his dislike of Epiphone. Most good guitarists could find a (Chinese) Epiphone that they like. I'd love to hear him play guitar...I bet he sucks big time [laugh]

#23 User is offline   cody78 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationEngland

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:33 PM

Going back to the original topic, how do you find the Gibson RD you mentioned Megafrog? I've never tried one myself, but was always interested in the look of them. The only unusual shaped guitars I have tried/ or own is a Gibson Firebird V which I bought a couple of years ago and many years ago a guy I knew had an Explorer which he let me test out. I like the Firebird because it feels so different to other guitars and has unique tone with the mini humbuckers. I imagine the RD would be along the same lines in feeling and sounding very unique. I must try one someday, either Epi or Gibson.

This post has been edited by cody78: 14 April 2018 - 12:35 PM

#24 User is offline   Irish_Rover 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLeiden, The Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

View Postcody78, on 14 April 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

The thing I don't get is if he hates Epiphone's so much, why does he spend so much time posting in this forum? It's not even a rational argument he has for his dislike of Epiphone. Most good guitarists could find a (Chinese) Epiphone that they like. I'd love to hear him play guitar...I bet he sucks big time [laugh]

It's nothing to do with Epiphone, he just a troll getting off on the attention. Mommy didn't love him enough or Daddy used to beat him or he was bullied at school or he just feels inadequate because he has no friends. Just ignore him like everybody else in his sad little life does.

#25 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:54 PM

View Postcody78, on 14 April 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

Going back to the original topic, how do you find the Gibson RD you mentioned Megafrog? I've never tried one myself, but was always interested in the look of them. The only unusual shaped guitars I have tried/ or own is a Gibson Firebird V which I bought a couple of years ago and many years ago a guy I knew had an Explorer which he let me test out. I like the Firebird because it feels so different to other guitars and has unique tone with the mini humbuckers. I imagine the RD would be along the same lines in feeling and sounding very unique. I must try one someday, either Epi or Gibson.

Unfortunately it is sitting in back order now. I really want the guitar for the shape and I am a Malia fan. Looking at the Guitar Center website it shows that the current back orders are pushed out to June. I hope that I am not waiting that long.
Equipment:
I have guitars, amps, pedals, cables, various other things and a strong affinity for short signature lines. . .

#26 User is offline   cody78 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationEngland

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:32 AM

View PostIrish_Rover, on 14 April 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

It's nothing to do with Epiphone, he just a troll getting off on the attention. Mommy didn't love him enough or Daddy used to beat him or he was bullied at school or he just feels inadequate because he has no friends. Just ignore him like everybody else in his sad little life does.

Good points made. I'm surprised he hasn't been kicked off the forum yet. I'm sure a lot of his posts go against forum rules?

View PostMegafrog, on 14 April 2018 - 03:54 PM, said:

Unfortunately it is sitting in back order now. I really want the guitar for the shape and I am a Malia fan. Looking at the Guitar Center website it shows that the current back orders are pushed out to June. I hope that I am not waiting that long.

That's a shame about it being pushed back. From your original post I got the impression you already had a Gibson RD and were getting an Epi also to do a comparison? I think I may have read your original post wrong, but all good!

I'd never heard of Lee Malia until I saw the LP Artisan they did. I still don't think I've heard any of his playing!

#27 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:18 PM

View Postcody78, on 15 April 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

Good points made. I'm surprised he hasn't been kicked off the forum yet. I'm sure a lot of his posts go against forum rules?

That's a shame about it being pushed back. From your original post I got the impression you already had a Gibson RD and were getting an Epi also to do a comparison? I think I may have read your original post wrong, but all good!

I'd never heard of Lee Malia until I saw the LP Artisan they did. I still don't think I've heard any of his playing!

You read it correctly. I do have a 2018 Gibson RD 40th anniversary model. I will likely cancel the order and scoop one up on Sam Ash. Seems to be a popular guitar. The Gibson has some significant cosmetic issues so I really suspect it will blow the Gibson away.
Equipment:

#28 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Only a Gibson !

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:24 AM

KILLER !

2014 Gibson RD reissue Alpine White [thumbup]

Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 User is offline   gearhead 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:35 AM

Revolution Six

Man that is a sharp RD! I almost bought one of those when they first came out. Just something about it it I like.Posted Image

1937 Gibson L50 "Black Special #4"
1978 Gibson Melody Maker D
1996 Epiphone Special II
2002 Epiphone Junior
2003 Epiphone EB0
2007 Epiphone G400 (Gibson 490R & 498T)
2009 Epiphone Junior
2010 Jay Turser JT-200 Pro (SD Invader)
2010 Jay Turser JT-220 (Mighty Mites)
2004 Ibanez SZ720FM (SD- Detonators)
Marshall AVT50H

Marshall AVT150H
Crate BV60H
Line 6 Flextone III

#30 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

As luck would have it, I acquired an Epiphone Lee Malia Artisan RD and there are pros and cons. First, the fit and finish on the Epiphone is vastly superior to the Gibson. The Gibson fit and finish is not good but the Epi is flawless. There is no neck dive either. As far as electronics go, the Gibson is definitely superior with the active pickups. The P90 on The Malia is super noisy, especially considering the dummy coil and that it is a Gibson pickup. The bridge pickup on the Malia is perfect for Bring Me The Horizon music. If you want to distort the neck pickup, use a noise gate. Pictures will be coming. Hopefully I will be motivated enough to do a YouTube video.
Equipment:

#31 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:02 AM

As promised:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Equipment:

#32 User is offline   Pin 

• Thread Killer
  • LocationSouthend, Essex

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

View PostMegafrog, on 23 May 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

A The P90 on The Malia is super noisy, especially considering the dummy coil and that it is a Gibson pickup.

Interesting.

But that is correctable.
GUITARS: 1978 Gibson Les Paul 25 / 50; Gibson ES345 1959 Reissue; 1974 Yamaha AE12 jazz box; Yamaha SG2000: Fender "Roland Ready" Strat; Epiphone Les Paul '56; Epiphone SG400; HK Steinberger copy; Cimar Classical.
AMPS & EFFECTS: Various effects, synths and Mesa Maverick 1 x 12.

#33 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

View PostPin, on 24 May 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

Interesting.

But that is correctable.

The Malia is definitely a keeper. I have only had it for a day now so I have done no tinkering with it yet. Overall the quality is very nice. If I had to do it over again, I would still buy both of them.
Equipment:

#34 User is offline   gearhead 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:06 PM

Megafrog,
Man, both of your RD's are sharp! I've been thinkinf g about the Epi version, but I know if I got one I would be changing pickups, and would want 2 humbuckers.
Hmmmmmmm............
1937 Gibson L50 "Black Special #4"
1978 Gibson Melody Maker D
1996 Epiphone Special II
2002 Epiphone Junior
2003 Epiphone EB0
2007 Epiphone G400 (Gibson 490R & 498T)
2009 Epiphone Junior
2010 Jay Turser JT-200 Pro (SD Invader)
2010 Jay Turser JT-220 (Mighty Mites)
2004 Ibanez SZ720FM (SD- Detonators)
Marshall AVT50H

Marshall AVT150H
Crate BV60H
Line 6 Flextone III

#35 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:57 AM

View Postgearhead, on 26 May 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

Megafrog,
Man, both of your RD's are sharp! I've been thinkinf g about the Epi version, but I know if I got one I would be changing pickups, and would want 2 humbuckers.
Hmmmmmmm............

What pickups do you think you would go for on this?
Equipment:

#36 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

Very nice set of RD's

Replacing the P-94 neck pickup could be a mistake considering its a signature model. With the "Dummy Coil" wired in for noise reduction under the back plate and coil tapping on the Humbucker bridge pickup, the wiring may not be as straight forward as you may be accustomed. All 3 Lee Malia signature guitars are setup this way with a P-94 for the extreme tone variation, not to mention the super hot Humbucker......

Lee Malia RD review... https://www.youtube....h?v=_F3ll1QRJuE

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 27 May 2018 - 11:32 PM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image But not for everyone...

#37 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Only a Gibson !

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:53 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Revolution Six: 09 June 2018 - 06:57 AM

Posted Image

#38 User is offline   mihcmac 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:54 PM

Interesting that the Lee Malia signature guitars seem to be only available from Epiphone..Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by mihcmac: 09 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

P-90's Rule.... Posted Image But not for everyone...

#39 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Only a Gibson !

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:44 PM

Posted Image

Enjoy my friend ...

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Revolution Six: 09 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

Posted Image

#40 User is offline   cody78 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationEngland

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

View PostMegafrog, on 24 May 2018 - 05:02 AM, said:

As promised:

Posted Image

Very very very nice, both the Epihone and Gibson [thumbup] I must buy (or at least try) an RD someday. Glad you are enjoying both of them.

This post has been edited by cody78: 10 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users