Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (last week) 1961 ES-330 VOS Reissue

seanp33

Man this guitar is awesome. I've been looking for a hollowbody guitar for a while and initially settled on Gretsch 6118 anniversary players' edition. I took delivery of that last month and it was just off. The intonation was pretty bad, the guitar wasn't very resonant, the finish was kind of sticky. It looked great though and the filtertrons sounded pretty good. I did send it back though.

I luckily stumbled onto the CME site and saw that there was this 1961 ES-330 (and it happened to be just a little more than the Gretsch). I immediately ordered it as I love Gibson guitars and didn't think this guitar would be in my price range.

It's an absolutely fantastic guitar. The P90s are surprisingly quiet. One thing I've noticed is the neck pickup sounds a lot louder than the bridge pickup. Has anybody else encountered this? I've read the solution is to just shim the bridge pickup so that is what I'll eventually do. I'm still elated with this guitar (and how good it plays, feels, and even smells).

Couldn't figure out how to post a picture here so hopefully this works.

https://imgur.com/b6rUk1F

Beautiful guitar!

Yes my P90 neck is louder than the bridge though I have the luxury of a (very little) height adjustment as mine are soapbars.

I think you just have to work with it....od, boost or eq pedals even things up a bit. P90s are the biz IMO.....

[thumbup]

Beautiful guitar!

Yes my P90 neck is louder than the bridge though I have the luxury of a (very little) height adjustment as mine are soapbars.

I think you just have to work with it....od, boost or eq pedals even things up a bit. P90s are the biz IMO.....

[thumbup]

They make shims.

Archived