Gibson Brands Forums

Nick Lucas Mystic Rosewood 12 fretter

Jinder

Has anyone had any hands-on experience with one of these? I’ve been after a Maple Lucas for a while but have only come across a RW one in the last few months. I’ve not got designs on it as such as I’m more a Maple/Mahogany player but I’m intrigued and tempted nonetheless.

I have one. I really like it. Like having a small body with the power of a jumbo.

If you try one out, be sure to check out the bridge plate. I've had three of this batch in my hands and they all had the same issue of the pin holes breaking out the edge.

I sent the one I have back to the factory and they put a new plate on it.

I have one. I really like it. Like having a small body with the power of a jumbo.

If you try one out, be sure to check out the bridge plate. I've had three of this batch in my hands and they all had the same issue of the pin holes breaking out the edge.

I sent the one I have back to the factory and they put a new plate on it.

Thanks Dave! The size and shape appeals to me as I had a Recording King RNJ25 (a close copy of a NL in Maple) for a while which I loved. I’m in two minds though now you mention the bridge plate issues, as the warranty debacle with my Dove has burned me a little, if I had another Gibson that had to go back for warranty work here in the UK my heart would sink.

Has anyone had any hands-on experience with one of these? I’ve been after a Maple Lucas for a while but have only come across a RW one in the last few months. I’ve not got designs on it as such as I’m more a Maple/Mahogany player but I’m intrigued and tempted nonetheless.

I bought a 12 fret Nick Lucas Mystic Rosewood a couple of months ago. When I first got it I thought I really liked it. It was like that guitar I was so curious about and the thought of having it just pushed me to buy it.

Well after playing it nonstop for 2 weeks, I realized I had made a "guitar buying mistake". Don't get me wrong, the guitar was in excellent condition and was clean as a whistle, but the sound......

Very compressed, very box like sounding. The more I played it, I realized that Rosewood should not be on this guitar. It was like the sound was trapped inside the guitar and would get squeezed out.

Yes, it was louder (for a small guitar) on account of the guitar being quite deep in size at 5 inches, but it was not the sound that I was really wanting.

One day during that 2 week stretch, I pulled out my J-45 Custom and realized how much better all around it sounded.

In my experience, the Nick Lucas Mystic Rosewood was one of my worst overall guitar purchases.

Plus the 1 11/16 nut width for my fat stubby fingers about sent me over the edge.

Just my 2 cents worth on the discussion.

I bought a 12 fret Nick Lucas Mystic Rosewood a couple of months ago. When I first got it I thought I really liked it. It was like that guitar I was so curious about and the thought of having it just pushed me to buy it.

Well after playing it nonstop for 2 weeks, I realized I had made a "guitar buying mistake". Don't get me wrong, the guitar was in excellent condition and was clean as a whistle, but the sound......

Very compressed, very box like sounding. The more I played it, I realized that Rosewood should not be on this guitar. It was like the sound was trapped inside the guitar and would get squeezed out.

Yes, it was louder (for a small guitar) on account of the guitar being quite deep in size at 5 inches, but it was not the sound that I was really wanting.

One day during that 2 week stretch, I pulled out my J-45 Custom and realized how much better all around it sounded.

In my experience, the Nick Lucas Mystic Rosewood was one of my worst overall guitar purchases.

Plus the 1 11/16 nut width for my fat stubby fingers about sent me over the edge.

Just my 2 cents worth on the discussion.

Very interesting...the Rosewood model I was looking at is sold now but a Maple one is on the way to my dealer chum and should land next week-if it’s a good one and the price is right I may pounce, I’ve wanted a Maple Nick for years.

Archived