Gibson Brands Forums

Always going to the J45

duluthdan

Always seem to default to my 2009 J-45 TV, even though I have other great guitars. This one has a Lyric pickup in it, not my fave, but does the job. Favorite pickup, Trans Audio Amulet M is in a Martin D-35 an outstanding rig, but other than one song in my set which loves the Martin thunder and roar the Martin is 2nd when it comes to performing contemplative songs in a true listening room setting. Nashville style Songwriters In the Round here in Colorado.

This J-45 with its nice neck and Sunbeam strings is just so expressive and easy to play, I always find myself grabbing it when playing in public. Suppose it’s just my easy chair. https://imgur.com/gallery/VEAY7

gZMFS1k.jpg

Always seem to default to my 2009 J-45 TV, even though I have other great guitars. This one has a Lyric pickup in it, not my fave, but does the job. Favorite pickup, Trans Audio Amulet M is in a Martin D-35 an outstanding rig, but other than one song in my set which loves the Martin thunder and roar the Martin is 2nd when it comes to performing contemplative songs in a true listening room setting. Nashville style Songwriters In the Round here in Colorado.

This J-45 with its nice neck and Sunbeam strings is just so expressive and easy to play, I always find myself grabbing it when playing in public. Suppose it’s just my easy chair. https://imgur.com/gallery/VEAY7

gZMFS1k.jpg

Same here with my Hummingbird. Neck fits in the hand just so, body fits in the lap just so, tone fits in the ears just so and I’m off. Feels like home...

I hear ya Dan

I have two guitars , one is a 45 , the other has had many incarnations now and I recently relented and made the second one a j15 . Second guitar is gigging guitar and no matter how nice they have been I always happiest with the j45 in my lap

So I now have a j15 , if I had more money I honestly think I’d have two j45’s 😂

With you brother.

My goto is my J50. Followed by my D18 and the Bird.

Love the picture! I played a gig last weekend where I gigged with my Martin D15 all hog. Taped to the back with blue painters tape were Sets 1, 2, and 3, and another 20 "other" songs. The whole back of the guitar was white paper. Pretty funny! My partner uses an iPad pro and looks at me like I have three heads.

With you brother.

My goto is my J50. Followed by my D18 and the Bird.

Love the picture! I played a gig last weekend where I gigged with my Martin D15 all hog. Taped to the back with blue painters tape were Sets 1, 2, and 3, and another 20 "other" songs. The whole back of the guitar was white paper. Pretty funny! My partner uses an iPad pro and looks at me like I have three heads.

3 set list plus 20 songs taped to the guitar ? That'd be fun to see. Used to keep set lists tucked into the brim of my hat, until i played one summer in a hot barn. My set list blurred out, and my forehead turned blue... [crying]

I actually left the gig a half hour early... and left my Martin with my buddy, as he had a few friends that wanted to get up and play and sing a few songs - I have a long drive in the morning. I havent gotten the Martin back yet from my buddy... maybe later today. I'll snap a pic!

There are many guitars out there we own and love. We could not keep them around otherwise. But there always seems to be that one that no matter how many years you own it every time you pull it from the case and strum a big fat open chord you find yourself unconsciously uttering a "Wow." For me it is not a J-45 as I do not own one but my old J-50. Close enough.

I have two guitars , one is a 45 , the other has had many incarnations now and I recently relented and made the second one a j15 . Second guitar is gigging guitar and no matter how nice they have been I always happiest with the j45 in my lap

So I now have a j15 , if I had more money I honestly think I’d have two j45’s 😂

I too have a J-45 and a J-15. My J-15 is actually "faster" (action/neck ?) and I am getting to where I love them equally. The J-45 is Rosewood/Ebony so it's obviously worth more and has the "rarer" woods, but to hear them and play them they are simply different, it's not like one is BETTER. And if you start micing and/or using amps/preamps/p.a. systems and such, the tone differences are even more negated by the electronics.

To me, the J-15 is simply a Walnut J-45 with a maple neck.

Well, I do keep going back to the old J-45 I've now owned for the last 52 years. Jackson ain't the best guitar I own either tonally or playing-wise, but she's still (and always be) my favorite.

Parents don't necessarily love their most beautiful child the best, do they?

Enough about the guitar, let's talk about your play list!

Sounds a little depressing.

79B9E3CD-F9A8-4FAF-B653-3EB2C3C67B67_zpssfazhmle.jpg

thats my wheelhouse. Have never written a happy song. Protest song, work angst song, and a cowboy song amongst the thoughtful depressing ballads.

Always seem to default to my 2009 J-45 TV, even though I have other great guitars.

That's a very good and reassuring sign. You may have found your soul-mate.

In my folm there's no lead-role. I switch back'n'forth and various guitars become stars from period to period.

It typically lasts for a few days, , , and even then I play others as well. Such a joy to reach deeper levels with the instruments that way.

So I now have a j15 , if I had more money I honestly think I'd have two j45's

Can you elaborate - what kind of differences would you go for, , , what would be the clue.

I have 2 2012 Birds with only a month between them and though siblings they are quite different.

April is sweeter and more glazed. Besides it's looser. The most birdish of the pair.

May is straighter, tighter and louder - it simply has a significant higher bridge, thus more power.

Tremendously intriguing to continuously A/B them - in all kinds of weather, moods and 'states of ears'.

Of course always with the same steel, , , and right now we're talking real faded Masterbuilt 80/20's, which make the guitars hazier - read smokey-sweet - the older they get.

Ah I’ve had a few guitars , an HD35 was possibly the nicest sounding guitar I ever had in my hands , but it was like being married to a supermodel ... you couldn’t help but be smitten but I guess I’m more attracted to the farmers daughter

My favourite music has always been a little loose , not perfection . And the j45 just has that rawness and earthiness . Lowdens and boutique stuff I do of course have a love for and I’d like to be in the position to have a few scattered around to play on when that moment comes , but I know I’ll alwys come back to j45

Nothing has come close to the sense of ‘ah that’s it’ I get when I pick up my j45. Even looking at it brings me pleasure.

It’s like an old pair of boots that never leak as opposed to a thousand dollar pair of shoes that look fantastic

, a faithful scruffy dog with its head out the window of a car

When I see my j45 i see the long road of my years of playing and it’s the destination that was sitting there in the future unknown to me at the time .

Feels like home

Ah I've had a few guitars , an HD35 was possibly the nicest sounding guitar I ever had in my hands , but it was like being married to a supermodel ... you couldn't help but be smitten but I guess I'm more attracted to the farmers daughter

My favourite music has always been a little loose , not perfection . And the j45 just has that rawness and earthiness . Lowdens and boutique stuff I do of course have a love for and I'd like to be in the position to have a few scattered around to play on when that moment comes , but I know I'll alwys come back to j45

Nothing has come close to the sense of 'ah that's it' I get when I pick up my j45. Even looking at it brings me pleasure.

It's like an old pair of boots that never leak as opposed to a thousand dollar pair of shoes that look fantastic

, a faithful scruffy dog with its head out the window of a car

When I see my j45 i see the long road of my years of playing and it's the destination that was sitting there in the future unknown to me at the time .

Feels like home

I read you and fully understand - but still, , , what would be your point in a second 45 ?

I read you and fully understand - but still, , , what would be your point in a second 45 ?

My ‘other’ guitar is one I take out to gigs , a little nervous about bringing my favourite one out. Daft perhaps , so , being of limited finances it doesn’t make sense to have two the same , but if I was rich enough then I could have two j45’s and not be scared about taking one out and about !

My 'other' guitar is one I take out to gigs , a little nervous about bringing my favourite one out. Daft perhaps , so , being of limited finances it doesn't make sense to have two the same , but if I was rich enough then I could have two j45's and not be scared about taking one out and about !

Ahaa, , , have to say I don't believe more or less raw live-situations are sensitive to the finer nuances in the sonic aspect of the guitars.

But action/feel/appearance-wise of course yes.

And I'm almost sure you would get a kick from the acoustic comparison at home.

The subtle differences in these (similar) creatures are highly fascinating.

Ahaa, , , have to say I don't believe more or less raw live-situations are sensitive to the finer nuances in the sonic aspect of the guitars.

But action/feel/appearance-wise of course yes.

And I'm almost sure you would get a kick from the acoustic comparison at home.

The subtle differences in these (similar) creatures are highly fascinating.

Yes. Lots of fun for a man who works in a guitar shop

Can see the interest in variables

But , impossible to see the scenario where I had money to purchase and got a doppelgänger .... not while there’s so many guitars in the world

Would have to go different for the larger difference in sound etc

Am as close as I can be with the j15 vs j45

Perhaps a parlour , perhaps a jumbo and so on and so on

If I only had Sal’s money

Sal is not rich.

Sal does like guitars, but already has too many.

Sal wants that Walnut J45 with the bone.

Sal is sometimes happy with his lot. Sometimes not. Like most.

Sal thinks we should all have more guitars, and that life is short...

New poster: “should I get this Gibson XXX I saw”Sal: “ buy the fecking guitar. Buy two”Poster: “ what about my upcoming wedding expenses?”Sal: “buy the guitar.”

One of my favorite quotes... a guitar will get you through times with no money much better than more money getting you through times with no guitar. Or something like that.

Sal is not rich.

Sal does like guitars, but already has too many.

Sal wants that Walnut J45 with the bone.

Sal is sometimes happy with his lot. Sometimes not. Like most.

Sal thinks we should all have more guitars, and that life is short...

New poster: “should I get this Gibson XXX I saw”Sal: “ buy the fecking guitar. Buy two”Poster: “ what about my upcoming wedding expenses?”Sal: “buy the guitar.”

One of my favorite quotes... a guitar will get you through times with no money much better than more money getting you through times with no guitar. Or something like that.

That belongs on a plaque on the wall

Archived