Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone finish, what' s wrrong ?

Revolution Six

Veneer ? [unsure]

How is the wood ?

Yes, it is wood.

For goodness sake look it up before you embarrass yourself further.

It is wood and there is nothing wrong with the use of veneer on instruments.

This is most likely veneer, to hide the four pieces of wood that makes up the body of that guitar. In more expensive models, you get a one piece. This will get you a little better sustain and response from the guitar body. As a beginner i wouldn't worry about a guitar being layered with veneer at all. I got 2 guitars with veneer. One is totally black so the grain wouldn't be visible anyway.

That' s strange with bevel, is the body real wood ?

My G400 Korina wasn' t like that .

The body is real wood. Veneer is also real wood, although just a thin layer. Its all wood. Those guitars are amazing compared to old beginner guitars. A guitarist I know told me how awful the cheaper guitars in the 70's was. He wish he grew up with beginner segment guitars like mine. I paid $230 for my Epiphone G400 Pro brand new, and $35 for my Epiphone LP special II second hand. Its a lot of guitar for that price, and this is what its all about. The G400 Pro was badly set up so I used another $70 to get it adjusted and got better strings at an luthier.

These are not Gibsons. But even Gibson LP Studio is even a step further in quality, but the price is very good compared to how much guitar you are buying.

For me sound is ranked a lot higher than looks. Veneer... to me it doesn't matter as long as you get a very playable guitar.

A professional guitar player told me once that he doesn't use Gibson because of they're design choices. Guitars in the $6000+ range. I said I don't need guitars that expensive to express my music, and he agreed. Its all about personal preferences. What your Korina might have been like, is totally irrelevant to others unless they have the same preferences.

With a good set of pickups, a Switchcraft switch, CTS or Bourns potentiometers the Epi G400 become more playable.

I understand veneer on a Les Paul for the top but the look on a G400 is very strange IMHO, not necessary if the wood is good quality

image165.jpg

The wood is good enough quality, just that its in 4 pieces. Would look like a parquet floor. Or bricks made of wood. I would prefer that red glossy veneer over that brown dull guitar you posted. But would you care? Probably not. If you buy a custom guitar, you can probably get it it plain wood with pink neon flamingos on it, if you desired. This is however in the totally wrong end of that scale to complain. These are functional and look great for what you pay. If you want better, there is always Gibsons for you.

This is my Epiphone G400 Pro 2015 Model. It looks great, for the fact i just bought it for €210.

DSC03317.jpg

If it's any consolation I had a G-400 faded with a 2 piece body and

pickups that were....Good!

It's nothing at all like the true Gibson SG really

and my 2014 Std. is just impeccable. No doubt

best deal ever at $999.

I took off the G-Force tuners after about 3 months

and put Kluson Supremes on it.

There's nothing like the feel or the candy smell of this guitar

and even though I love my current Epi Les Pauls and think the build quality is Tops

Epiphone needs to work on the SG.

The pitch bend in the neck varies, but is still a deal breaker for me

The veneer isn't really necessary, and for a short moment in 2013 factory 23 had some out with no veneer

and a good bevel cut along the body and horns looking like a '62 SG. very short lived

Archived