Gibson Brands Forums

Dissapointed

Oscar2017

Hi, my name is Eric I'm 12 yrs old from Canada. I've been playing guitar for 4 years now and have always wanted a LSP so I saved my money for 2 yrs and for Christmas my parents chipped in the rest to make may dream of owning a LSP come true! I ordering a Les Paul Standard HP November, 2017 and waited 4 months before my guitar was delivered, I was so extremely excited I could barely contain myself. Well the excitement didn't last as what I was sent was a Les Paul Standard HP2, what is a HP2, well what ever it is I didn't order it? My Mom contacted the store that we ordered it from and they were just as confused as we were, after they were able to contact Gibson (and if anyone has tried to get a hold of Gibson....GOOD LUCK) was told they had discontinued the guitar I ordered and replace it with the HP2. Okay so Gibson didn't feel the need to contact the customer or the store to state they were not making this guitar anymore these are the reasons why but they are making a new model, "were you still interested or not" Nope they felt they would just send it out and expect the customer to suck it up. We final were able to speak to customer service at Gibson and they didn't apologies, offer a discount, offer a solution they did nothing! So the guitar has been return.

This is now Eric's Mom and Gibson needs to know that they have broken a 12 yrs old heart and dreams, he worked darn hard for 2 yrs for a Gibson guitar. GIBSON you should be ashamed of what you have done and step up and make this wrong a right for this kid......

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very sorry to hear that you did not get the guitar you wanted. In this case, I think you should try to return the guitar to the store you bought it from, and perhaps try to find another HP model that you were hoping for. In Canada, Long & McQuade (nation-wide), LA Music (Greater Toronto Area), etc. might still carry a HP model. I would suggest reaching out to them.

Eric, try not to be too upset about the guitar. I know it is not EXACTLY what you were waiting for, but if you decide to keep this guitar, you will be owning one of the (if not the most) luxurious Les Pauls that Gibson USA makes. The finishes are amazing, and you get some of the better parts that Gibson puts on guitars. It may be personal preference, but in my opinion the HPII models are a bit better than the HP model. Unless you love the G-Force tuning system, the HPII model is what a lot of Gibson players have been waiting for! That is, a HP model without having to retro-fit standard tuners on it. AND you also have a Richlite fretboard instead of Rosewood. Now, I know there are some Richlite haters on the board, but owning many guitars with Ebony, Rosewood, and Richlite fretboards, I will tell you that Richlite is so much smoother than Rosewood, and is a very nice alternative to Ebony.

Cheer up Eric, you purchased a killer guitar! Enjoy it!

Here's the info on the HP2

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Les-Paul-Standard-HP-II-2018.aspx

How did it look and play before you sent it back?

Granted communications would have been nice but looks like they may have give you better(?)

Edit: us as parents have a big part of how our kids react. And a dealer not knowing difference between an HP and HP2.. questiona questionable. In Canada all Gibdon ales Paul's come through Yorkville Sound the owners of Long and Mcquade . And distributor yo everyone else in Canada

Guest Farnsbarns

This is the fault of the retailer. If they claim Gibson didn't tell them they're on thin ice. The box would have been labeled. The invoice and shipping notes would have told them. You noticed, so what was the give away the shop can be excused for missing?. It was the retailers job to get what you ordered, or tell you they couldn't. How is Gibson going to offer you a discount. That would only be something the dealer could choose to do.

There's still loads of HPs out there. Just go and get one. You're far better off playing before you buy anyway.

Edit: Hang on. Eric's mum took over typing for the last paragraph of a forum post? Tough to believe to be frank. Then there is a fairly eloquent 12 year old. Terrible spelling but still, very eloquent for a 12 year old. "Barely contain myself" just doesn't sit right.

Is it wrong that on closer inspection I find myself doubting the existence of Eric the 12 year old? Honestly? I can't help but think it unlikely mum took over half way through, either way.

Now, I know there are some Richlite haters on the board, but owning many guitars with Ebony, Rosewood, and Richlite fretboards, I will tell you that Richlite is so much smoother than Rosewood, and is a very nice alternative to Ebony.

Cheer up Eric, you purchased a killer guitar! Enjoy it!

I think Eric you have been offered some good advice. The fault is with the retailer and not Gibson.

Just as a little rider to dh2087's comment above I would count myself as a "Richlite hater" but not because it is "no good" (all the evidence from what I hear is that it is very good indeed) but simply because I am a dyed-in-the-wool traditionalist who profoundly believes in the use of proper wood on musical instruments.

This is the fault of the retailer. If they claim Gibson didn't tell them they're on thin ice. The box would have been labeled. The invoice and shipping notes would have told them. You noticed, so what was the give away the shop can be excused for missing?. It was the retailers job to get what you ordered, or tell you they couldn't. How is Gibson going to offer you a discount. That would only be something the dealer could choose to do.

There's still loads of HPs out there. Just go and get one. You're far better off playing before you buy anyway.

Edit: Hang on. Eric's mum took over typing for the last paragraph of a forum post? Tough to believe to be frank. Then there is a fairly eloquent 12 year old. Terrible spelling but still, very eloquent for a 12 year old. "Barely contain myself" just doesn't sit right.

Is it wrong that on closer inspection I find myself doubting the existence of Eric the 12 year old? Honestly? I can't help but think it unlikely mum took over half way through, either way.

Right the median age of the people here are late 40's to late 50's.

Guest Farnsbarns

He's a 12 YO and his dream have been pulled out from under him, and ripped up and thrown in his face, cut him some slack.

Do you really believe that was written by a 12 year old? And that his mother, with an uncannily similar writing style took over for the last paragraph? Or that any sane parent would engage in that rather than just post themselves.

I have $52000000USD in a bank account which belonged to my late uncle. He was murdered by the political leaders of my country and they are trying to find the money. I need to get it out of the country but the cost of the transfer is $10000USD with fees. I will give you half the money if you give me your bank details and wire me the $10000USD so I can transfer it to you. In a few weeks I'll come to the USA to collect my half from you. Please let me know soon. Time is running out and I fear the money will soon be found.

Oh, and I was directed to you by God, so obviously I'm really honest and you're really special.

Do you really believe that was written by a 12 year old? And that his mother, with an uncannily similar writing style took over for the last paragraph? Or that any sane parent would engage in that rather than just post themselves.

I have $52000000USD in a bank account which belonged to my late uncle. He was murdered by the political leaders of my country and they are trying to find the money. I need to get it out of the country but the cost of the transfer is $10000USD with fees. I will give you half the money if you give me your bank details and wire me the $10000USD so I can transfer it to you. In a few weeks I'll come to the USA to collect my half from you. Please let me know soon. Time is running out and I fear the money will soon be found.

Oh, and I was directed to you by God, so obviously I'm really honest and you're really special.

No I don't.

Just wire that wad of cash to my Cayman account.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm still awaiting the "response" from "oscar" to see what comes next...

Popcorn please!

Don't hold your breath.

I don't know if Eric exists, but I can put some perspective on the HPI and HPII situation. I just had my new LP Standard HPI delivered about an hour ago. It appears to be a hybrid of a I and II. As I was researching them it became clear that some of the HPI's that were being advertised were either an HPII or a hybrid of a I and II. Two of the sellers that I questioned about what I saw, were unaware that there even was an HPII. The difference between them is the II has Grover Tuners, Richlite fb, a military spec three way switch and a black HSC. Also, the flame tops appear to be an improvement over the HPI's. It also was supposed to be about $300 more. So if Eric exists, he actually got an upgraded guitar that shouldn't have broke his little heart.

My guitar has locking Grovers, Richlite fb and an upgraded flame top. But it has the silver aluminum case (which weighs a freaking ton) and from what I can tell a regular three way switch. At least to me, the switch doesn't feel any more solid than any LP hanging in GC. The model is listed on the inspection paperwork as H2LPS1808CH1. Actually I'm not sure if it's a 1 or L at the end. So it was advertised as an HPI, has an H2 model designation on the inspection sheet, but doesn't have all of the features of an HPII like the case and military switch. I guess this is an interim period where the models are being switched over and it's a grab bag as to what you'll get. If you pay for a I and get a II, I don't see any reason to be upset. I'm happy so far. I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I don't know if Eric exists, but I can put some perspective on the HPI and HPII situation. I just had my new LP Standard HPI delivered about an hour ago. It appears to be a hybrid of a I and II. As I was researching them it became clear that some of the HPI's that were being advertised were either an HPII or a hybrid of a I and II. Two of the sellers that I questioned about what I saw, were unaware that there even was an HPII. The difference between them is the II has Grover Tuners, Richlite fb, a military spec three way switch and a black HSC. Also, the flame tops appear to be an improvement over the HPI's. It also was supposed to be about $300 more. So if Eric exists, he actually got an upgraded guitar that shouldn't have broke his little heart.

My guitar has locking Grovers, Richlite fb and an upgraded flame top. But it has the silver aluminum case (which weighs a freaking ton) and from what I can tell a regular three way switch. At least to me, the switch doesn't feel any more solid than any LP hanging in GC. The model is listed on the inspection paperwork as H2LPS1808CH1. Actually I'm not sure if it's a 1 or L at the end. So it was advertised as an HPI, has an H2 model designation on the inspection sheet, but doesn't have all of the features of an HPII like the case and military switch. I guess this is an interim period where the models are being switched over and it's a grab bag as to what you'll get. If you pay for a I and get a II, I don't see any reason to be upset. I'm happy so far. I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

The II is not worth as much as the I to me because of the case, tuners and the fret board. Gibson is selling less for more.

Archived