Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Gibson Acoustic - What Is It?

jaygl

The neck's '42 or '43 Gibson for sure. If cheap, buy and wait for an original body with a trashed neck☺ I'm too old to gamble on that kind of long-term investment, but did similar insanity when younger with surprisingly good results😂

That neck is too short, and the headstock is missing its wings. I assume there were pre-war (narrow) headstocks on some banner Gibsons.

The whole thing is a bit of a mystery to me. A first-hand inspection might help.

Hang on a sec-

Let's have some fun- I know tpbiii has the head's up for location of things on the headstock, so maybe a close look at the logos, as far as the exaggerated serifs, fat lower "b", location/centering of the banner under the logo, and banner's width?: (also- the flattened neck profile (photo of the back of the neck)coming off of the headstock down the neck, not to mention heel)

CnE7pVf.png?2

Thanks for that, Dave and 62burst. Even the logo looks fake, by comparison.

I'm going with 100% fake.

The more closely I look, the more things seem just off enough to suggest the truth of that - hard to tell details working from a phone. Would like to see it firsthand, but won't miss doing so😄

Must had been a HB in its previous life

Cool. . . a 12 fret Hummingbird, can't be a lot of those out there. Recalling that 12 fret SJ-200 that Stan Jay from Mando Bros was demo'ing some time back, I wonder if the re-opening of the Custom Shop to custom orders would be receptive [biggrin] ?

This guitar appears to have been "Bannerized" post production. Logo and banner appear homemade ((Banner crosses vertical lines at wrong angle, proportions wrong, Logo is amateurish, etc.) Body is not a Gibson product. I've no idea about the neck, except that I don't believe that it left the factory with that logo and banner.

Archived