Gibson Brands Forums

Curious marketing 2018 Les Paul Junior

Kitarkus

No doubt I am gassing for an LPJr. I like the new 2018 version enough and do not wish to pay the big bucks for a vintage. I understand what the custom shop versions sell for...and I know this 2018 is as close as I could get to that...for less money. That said, a 'standard' version of this guitar...not entirely 'correct'...at nearly $1500 (absolutely $1500 if I buy local and pay tax)....is a LOT of money imo for this guitar.

The curious part: I don't see that this is being widely carried by the big boys....yes Sweetwater has one...apparently the same one for weeks now. A few others Sam Ash, ZZsounds have one each or so. I was in Guitar Center last week and the long time sales guy there didn't even know that a new LPJr. existed! GC and its other brands Musicians Friend etc have ZERO LPJr's. These things are like unicorns...almost as if Gibson is saying....hey ya...we are making them again...just for the sake of being able to say that they are making them. Actually getting one in your hands means paying BIG bucks for one of the few that I see available around the country.

What gives with these? You'd think Gibson would be pushing as hard as possible right now. Perhaps Gibson can't afford to produce? Perhaps GC/MF dire straits are also becoming apparent and they are unable to buy inventory on credit? Perhaps production isn't ramped up? Something smells fishy. I really want one of these....but on general principle I cannot spend nearly $1500 to obtain one.

Guest Farnsbarns

No doubt I am gassing for an LPJr. I like the new 2018 version enough and do not wish to pay the big bucks for a vintage. I understand what the custom shop versions sell for...and I know this 2018 is as close as I could get to that...for less money. That said, a 'standard' version of this guitar...not entirely 'correct'...at nearly $1500 (absolutely $1500 if I buy local and pay tax)....is a LOT of money imo for this guitar.

The curious part: I don't see that this is being widely carried by the big boys....yes Sweetwater has one...apparently the same one for weeks now. A few others Sam Ash, ZZsounds have one each or so. I was in Guitar Center last week and the long time sales guy there didn't even know that a new LPJr. existed! GC and its other brands Musicians Friend etc have ZERO LPJr's. These things are like unicorns...almost as if Gibson is saying....hey ya...we are making them again...just for the sake of being able to say that they are making them. Actually getting one in your hands means paying BIG bucks for one of the few that I see available around the country.

What gives with these? You'd think Gibson would be pushing as hard as possible right now. Perhaps Gibson can't afford to produce? Perhaps GC/MF dire straits are also becoming apparent and they are unable to buy inventory on credit? Perhaps production isn't ramped up? Something smells fishy. I really want one of these....but on general principle I cannot spend nearly $1500 to obtain one.

Well, if you're not willing to pay the asking price I have only 1 piece of advice. Add one to your cart. Go all the way through check out. Add your name, number and email address, create an account, do everything you can to give them your details. Then, abandon the cart at the last minute and don't complete the purchace. Sit back and wait for them to contact you with an offer.

Assuming this works, and it usually does, never complain about cookies, tracking or targeted marketing ever again! :D

Well, if you're not willing to pay the asking price I have only 1 piece of advice. Add one to your cart. Go all the way through check out. Add your name, number and email address, create an account, do everything you can to give them your details. Then, abandon the cart at the last minute and don't complete the purchace. Sit back and wait for them to contact you with an offer.

Assuming this works, and it usually does, never complain about cookies, tracking or targeted marketing ever again! :D

This has happened to me with an Am Standard Strat. Got it for $900 brand new. Didn't do that intentionally as you described, I just talked myself out of it because of the cost. They got back to me a couple of days later with an offer I couldn't refuse.

Good advice...thanks. The point is...is Gibson actually selling these 2018 LPJr's in any real volume? If so....who is selling them? Why are some of the largest guitar dealers in the USA not carrying this guitar? Those that do carry have none or one in stock awaiting shipment. I've never seen more than one to choose from anywhere. I live in a major metroplex and there isn't a 2018 LPJr in the entire city. If only me...I find this strange.

LP Jr's are kind of a retro thing since they use P-90 pickups they are a very small part of the market. I have 2 older Les Paul Junior Double Cuts and all of my guitars use P-90's.

<<< I am playing one in my avatar..

Ebay has quite a few Les Paul Juniors right now ranging from about $600 to about $10000, quite a few new and vintage.

Archived