Gibson Brands Forums

Broke the D string on titanium set

philfish

Re-strung my guitar a few days ago with Martin SP custom lights, and when I tightened the high E string it just kept slipping, then I heard something drop and roll around inside the guitar. The ball came off the end of the string and I never even got it up to pitch. Don't ever recall that happening before, very annoying...

Ever??

G used to break in me

But not for years now.

Was back when I was young n reckless

Well, now you've got me. Memory may not be perfect after more than 50 years of guitar ownership. But I'm pretty sure it's mostly been unwound strings.

Closest I ever came to breaking a wound string was when I was around 40 years old, needing glasses for close work and trying to ignore the issue. Clipped the bass E string at the post - it was up to pitch, of course, thinking I had the excess end😨 Went to the eye doctor shortly after that one.

wait,, Strings BREAK!! No way... youz guyz is lyin..

(JK!)

Re-strung my guitar a few days ago with Martin SP custom lights, and when I tightened the high E string it just kept slipping, then I heard something drop and roll around inside the guitar. The ball came off the end of the string and I never even got it up to pitch. Don't ever recall that happening before, very annoying...

I had the same thing happen to me with a set of Elixrs. That was a first..

I can go thru a lot of strings with alternate tunings, usually the G string.

Archived