Gibson Brands Forums

Almost Cut My Hair....

Murph

Yesterday. Was waiting and something came up, had to leave. Then I thought, what the hell, I'm just gonna let it grow out again, this is a time consuming money sucking pain in the arse anyhow, needing a haircut every 4/5/6/ weeks.

I doubt the wife would leave, probably wouldn't get fired from the day job, the daughter would think it was cool, but wait....

What would the Gibson Forum people think......?

Some old people can pull it off, and some can't.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday. Was waiting and something came up, had to leave. Then I thought, what the hell, I'm just gonna let it grow out again, this is a time consuming money sucking pain in the arse anyhow, needing a haircut every 4/5/6/ weeks.

I doubt the wife would leave, probably wouldn't get fired from the day job, the daughter would think it was cool, but wait....

not only is it a pain in the A** to go to a "hair stylist" I never come out looking like I want it to look. As soon as my hair turns all gray(it's over half way there now) it's going shoulder length AGAIN. BTW I'm 68 so grandpas with long hair are cool (according to my grand kids)

[/quote

Doesn’t stop me]

I had hair down to my lower back until I reached my mid 40s. Then it started thinning on top and it looked like I was trying to cover it up. So, I bought an Oster hair clipper with a #1 blade and sheared it off. Now, once a month, I just buzz it myself. Takes 15 min. and no visits to a stylist/barber. Also, If I knew how much easier it is to keep when this short, I would have started "buzzing" it in my teens.

I'm 42 and I haven't paid for a haircut since I was 29. Buy a good set of hair clippers and cut your own hair. I've gotten really good at the DIY haircut over the years. Think of the money I've saved for guitar buying not having to pay for haircuts for all these years.

Bwahaha. Haircuts? I gave up on those in the mid-1960s. But I have grown much more conservative these days. I only let it grow to my shoulders - long enough to tie back when it is in danger of being caught in some piece of machinery. It is just kind of silver and gray these days. Then again, I also have never owned a suit.

My hair is silver, has thinned some - but no bald spots and hasn't receded much since the early 1970s. Typically, I submit to a haircut twice per year. My 'stylist' knows I judge a good cut by whether it grows out well, and cuts accordingly. Sometimes I go longer intervals - a year's possible, but atypical. Wore the 'high and tight' in the USMC, but it's been relatively long since then. Guitars don't seem to care one way or the other😉

Whatever floats your boat.

I cut my long hair off shortly after I got into wooden boats in the early 1970's, right after my hair had an unfortunate encounter with a fairly large quantity of epoxy paint. Now I go in about every 2-3 months and get it cut really, really short. When it gets long enough that it would need to be combed, it gets cut again.

Sometimes, when I see a geezer my age (71) with a long grey ponytail, I think "that guy tripped out in 1968, and never came down."

But I have to admit I've thought about it myself.

I had extremely long hair for years. And this other guitarist’s girl gave us all (band) a trim up and then we all had...gasp...mullets. Awful. So I had a ‘Roman’ cut and worked in corporate day job and went to the barber every time a hair looked out of place...company unmentioned rule. One Monday morning I forgot to take my earring thst I had worn since I was 15 out......what a bad day over something stupid. :unsure:

I have worked at home most of this century and haircuts have been kept up regularly, but a couple of years ago celebrity sports people began having what they call here ‘The Corporal’ haircut, floppy bit on top and the rest shaved, sometimes with funny shapes. Now a regular haircut didn’t take too long but these Corporal cuts take hours, it seems, and I have sat waiting through all these long winded weirdo haircuts being done to others and last September, this barber had 5 chairs all with Corporal cuts going on and I got up and went home.......and haven’t been back. And my hair looks awful, because the last haircut was awful, I suppose. And now??? Hat when I go out until this celebrity hair thing is over and dreadlocks or something come back..... [scared]

The haircut:

http://starspost.com/f1-ace-sebastian-vettel-reveals-bizarre-new-bowl-haircut-and-social-media-goes-wild-comparing-him-to-kim-jong-un/

All the football players are getting these ....the 'Mohawk Mullet':

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/dustin-martins-haircut-is-his-buzz-cut-to-the-mohawk-mullet-the-right-choice/news-story/f9f68078a8541079715c5d0fc8fb8b8f

BluesKing777.

I hate haircuts. Always have. From parents to school teachers to Senior Chiefs, "Get a haircut!" got me to where I don't know if I need one without someone ordering me to get one. Tried letting it get a little long, over the ears. But it starts to curl and wave. One of my granddaughters saw a picture of an old lady in a magazine and pointed it out as "Pops!". Use to cut it myself with a clipper. Until a Chief Operating Officer where I worked asked me "WTF?" . I hate haircuts.

I wore my long years ago. Once I started thinning out I went shorter. Once I started balding I went to #2 all over. Nowadays, I don't own a comb.

Just my opinion-

If you got it, it looks good and you want it, go for it.

If you're thinning on top, bail out and get it cut.

If you're balding on top, you've already waited to long.

If you're still wearing a mullet, I think you've stumbled onto the wrong forum.

If you've been mistaken for a female, change something.

Color does not matter, just keep it natural.

Long hair and strings of all sorts blend well - they reach a third level together.

I had long hair - not hippie-max, but still - in my teens and cut it half at 19.

Different lengths and colours during the twenties, then balled once in the early thirties (had to try it and didn't like)

From balled to real long and full-beard - both dyed pirate black. Scared my ex-girlfriend a good deal.

Then a long phase with a bit longer than boring normal. Guess it was under the illusion I had grown up.

And the last 10 years long again.

If it provokes anybody. Eeehhh, not really sure, but some might decode me wrong from prejudices. Doesn't matter - it's their sake.

I come from a family of female hairdressers so for that (and the conventional reasons) had to fight for every centimeter as a kid in late 60's early 70's.

And never had anyone touching my hay with a pair of scissors since, , , 1985. But I inherited some tools.

. . . . . . . . . . . . ~ HAIR POWER and acoustic guitars ~

Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair.

Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen.

Give me down to there hair, shoulder length or longer hair

Here baby, there, momma, ev'rywhere, daddy, daddy.

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair

Hair, hair, hair. Flow it, show it, long as I can grow it, my hair.

Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair.

Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen.

Give me down to there hair, shoulder length or longer hair

Here baby, there, momma, ev'rywhere, daddy, daddy.

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair

Hair, hair, hair. Flow it, show it, long as I can grow it, my hair.

Yeah Hair Yeah Hair ^ still got the single.

1969 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3qhle8Oy9s

I'm 34 and haven't had a haircut for 2 1/2 years. I first grew my hair long when I was 15 and didn't have it short again until I was 26, then went for a haircut about once a year up until 2 1/2 years ago. I always preferred having long hair, but sadly I have noticed it's getting slightly thinner each year since I turned 30. I think in the next year or 2 I will have no choice but to get a grade 1 or 2 which I hate the idea of. It might sound a bit stupid, but I am traumatised by the thought of going completely bald and never having long hair again.

I think if you've got hair, grow it long and appreciate it while you can!

this is a time consuming money sucking pain in the arse anyhow, needing a haircut every 4/5/6/ weeks.

I have cut my own hair for about the last 40 years, takes about 10 minutes, probably do it 4 or 5 times a year. Just imagine how much of your money and time have been sucked over that period. Enough money to buy a few nice guitars I'd imagine... and enough time to get really good at playing them. :)

Archived