Gibson Brands Forums

Almost Cut My Hair....

Murph

OK, for you geezer hair guys, here's a little trip down the trivia memory lane of 1960's (nearly) one hit wonders: The Barbarians.

Other than this song of questionable caliber, they had a couple of distinguishing characteristics. At one point, the guitars and basses they played were all Gibsons. The bass was one of those funky EB2 models that used an ES 335 body.

Oh yeah, and the drummer only had one hand, with a hook for his left hand. Later, the drummer had a near-hit with an autobiographical song about blowing his hand off, backed in the studio by members of a band that became known as... (one-handed drum roll) The Band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj8UxrnIcMM

I clearly had too much time on my hands today, waiting for my new kitchen cabinets to arrive. I need to get a life. But I also changed strings on a couple of guitars.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I wish I was completely bald and not just on my head but my ears,back, and all other regions

Total comfort for me :rolleyes:

You're sort of creeping me out.

You know you're old when the hair stops growing on your head, and starts growing out of almost every orifice in your body...

Geez, it's the first line of one of Lightnin' Hopkins biggest hits - "Short Haired Woman". Have you really never heard of it? You should have your Gibson "All Access" pass revoked! LOL [biggrin]

OK, for you geezer hair guys, here's a little trip down the trivia memory lane of 1960's (nearly) one hit wonders: The Barbarians.

Other than this song of questionable caliber, they had a couple of distinguishing characteristics. At one point, the guitars and basses they played were all Gibsons. The bass was one of those funky EB2 models that used an ES 335 body.

Oh yeah, and the drummer only had one hand, with a hook for his left hand. Later, the drummer had a near-hit with an autobiographical song about blowing his hand off, backed in the studio by members of a band that became known as... (one-handed drum roll) The Band.

Moulty! Out of MA somewhere. It was the original Nuggets 2 LP set that they are probably best remembered for now.

I used to love all that garage band stuff and still listen to some of it - the 13th Floor Elevators, the Blue Things, the Chocolate Watch Band.

Best name for a band back in the day though goes to Mogen David and the Grapes of Wrath.

Moulty! Out of MA somewhere. It was the original Nuggets 2 LP set that they are probably best remembered for now.

I used to love all that garage band stuff and still listen to some of it - the 13th Floor Elevators, the Blue Things, the Chocolate Watch Band.

Best name for a band back in the day though goes to Mogen David and the Grapes of Wrath.

You're down there in the weeds with me. The group I worked with was called Minimum Daily Requirement. One single on Mercury, then oblivion.

At least they didn't do version 3,265 of "Hey Joe".

Some of those bands with garage band or school combo roots broke through, but never left it all behind. The Zombies come to mind. Others just live on in blurry YouTube clips.

It's sometimes a fine line between success and failure, and it's not just about talent. Timing, a good producer, and promotion are big elements.

Geez, it's the first line of one of Lightnin' Hopkins biggest hits - "Short Haired Woman". Have you really never heard of it? You should have your Gibson "All Access" pass revoked! LOL [biggrin]

I plead the protection of advanced age and faulty memory, and throw myself on the mercy of the court.

A few weeks back, this teacher got the sack for cutting a student's hair!

Now, he is back after a massive fuss...

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/no-long-hair-trinity-grammar-deputy-headmaster-returns-to-school-20180417-p4za0e.html

BluesKing777.

Geez I’m the first one to say that it does no harm to give a kid a kick in the *** or slap now and again , but a teacher cutting someone’s hair ? That’s just insanity and I’m amazed he’s allowed back .

Yep, bizarre.

Hey, from when I was 13 onwards, I had the same hairstyle as Ozzy Ozborne and did the teachers love me? Not much...and the one that hated me the absolute most caught me absconding to the pool hall on my daily exercise [biggrin] - the instructions were something like: "Get that bloody hair cut NOW and shine those shoes and don't come back back until you have!" Etc. I had to go to the first lesson, main class thing instead of snooker for a couple of weeks and nobody knew who I was... [mellow] . Teacher wanted to know how I signed on every morning while he had never seen me before in his life [tongue]

But the thing is, they sure wanted to cut my hair but obviously weren’t allowed to pin me down....or they sure would have.

BluesKing777.

Geez I'm the first one to say that it does no harm to give a kid a kick in the *** or slap now and again , but a teacher cutting someone's hair ?

Weeeeelll, not really sure. Where it probably won't do much physical harm, it can stay in there as a base of aggression.

I live in a tolerant community/society and though some might think my hay is too long, no one really signalizes about it, , , ,

apart from groups of motorized young lame Arabs, who thinks I'm gay and shout it out from their cars.

Have to add it doesn't happen often, but bein' a dude who got slapped in school, (maybe therefor) a little box of anger springs loose

which makes me feel like kneeling down takin' the vehicle out with a bazooka. Zhaaguunngg. . .

Now, that was not a nice post, was it, ,

, , but I was raised on the streets of suburbia.

Yeah, in my younger days I would get the Jesus remarks. In fact, at my local Video rental place (remember VCRs and rentals?), they had me in the computer as "Jesus our Savior". And being mistaken as a woman: Once an old woman tapped me on the shoulder and said "excuse me miss". When I turned around and she saw the beard, she couldn't apologize enough. Also, I was very thin and into cycling (I still am...on both counts). But riding in Lycra with a ponytail, cars and trucks would approach me from behind and the drivers would honk their horns and sometimes call out. When I turned to look at them, their reactions were priceless.

Haha! That last line made me laugh! The thing with the Jesus comments is it's a bit like a form of racism, as in not all white guys with long hair and a beard look the same [smile]

I hear ya, I've heard it all before too. Maybe you should mess with them, "Amen I say to you, since I am the son of God, do you really want to aggravate me? One text message to Dad, and I can mess you up pretty bad" !LOL! (Just kidding Cody,, you know that right)

In these recent instances that I've encountered this, they don't mean it, the apologies come pretty fast.. But on the other hand, I guess I apparently am THAT pretty still!! so maybe I have that goin for me [unsure]

That's a good idea to mess with them [biggrin] I know you are kidding, don't worry I won't get the urge to throw you through a window!

I think the thing that annoys me is a lot of the people I have encountered say it in a demeaning manner and aren't apologetic. I work part time in a hotel and in the evening I get to see a lot of idiots coming back either drunk or just plain stupid and a lot of them are the ones I find particularly unpleasant when they start with the dumb comments.

1523890530[/url]' post='1930300']

A lot of people seem to think comments like that are funny for some reason, but I fail to see the humour personally. The one I get a lot is "Hey look, it's Jesus...HAHA!" because I have a beard a fair bit of the time (too lazy to shave most months) plus the long hair I mentioned earlier. I sometimes think the next person who cracks the hilarious 'Jesus' comment I would like to throw through a window [laugh]

My oldest son James had a crew cut for the first three years of college. During his last year he got hard core into surfing (still is). Long hair. Beard.

He came home for Christmas and we all met at my sister’s house in Brooklyn on Christmas Eve. My dad arrived. He saw his grandson but did not recognize him. James said, “Papi... it’s me...”. My dad exclaimed... “Jesus... James!” And then proceeded to cross himself. Now we call him Jesus James.

He really does look like Jesus. Or maybe The Dude.

My oldest son James had a crew cut for the first three years of college. During his last year he got hard core into surfing (still is). Long hair. Beard.

He came home for Christmas and we all met at my sister’s house in Brooklyn on Christmas Eve. My dad arrived. He saw his grandson but did not recognize him. James said, “Papi... it’s me...”. My dad exclaimed... “Jesus... James!” And then proceeded to cross himself. Now we call him Jesus James.

He really does look like Jesus. Or maybe The Dude.

😂

You see what happens Larry ?

It seems like it's all about maintenance, and the lesser of two evils to me... do you deal with the hassle of a haircut every 6 weeks, or deal with the hassle of long hair.

If you look different at all, people are going to stare, comment etc... As long as you are aware of that, and not going to get all riled up - then go for whatever look you want. If your going to do something radical, then complain people are looking... well - you should probably re-evaluate your plan of action.

I had long hair back in the day, short now - regardless, I am freakin' good looking! ;)

I work part time in a hotel and in the evening I get to see a lot of idiots coming back either drunk or just plain stupid and a lot of them are the ones I find particularly unpleasant when they start with the dumb comments.

Calls to mind one of my fav animal house quotes:

"Drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life son"

!!LOL!!

(Not the full quote of course, but close enough for hand grenades!)

Btw. for those who don't get all this Murph-talk about Crosby and hippies and Almost Cut My Hair, here's a take from nearly 10 years ago.

They nail it right on and listen to Stills between 2:40 and 55 - thunder and l. .

2009 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XWmwvT8bCw

That's a stunning performance, all around. But Stills is the star, from replicating the sound of the police siren when Croz sings about getting paranoid seeing a cop car, to that absolutely ripping solo.

Anyone my age who had long hair back in the 60's can really relate to this song. Some of us didn't give in to fear, but trimmed our freak flags for other reasons. Every now and then I run across a photo of me from that time (my sister sent me one a couple of weeks ago, standing out in a field at our farm), and I think, "holy cow, have I moved forward, or backward?"

All I can say is that time flies, and I'm happy to have songs and performances like this to trigger memories, for better or worse.

I have the doughnut look. I was backpacking with a bunch of boy scouts a couple years ago. Sitting around the camp fire one of the kids said he thought I ought to get a tattoo. I said really. He said yea, get one of a guy pushing a lawnmower on the top of head. I guess there is no respect now-a-days!!

Archived