Gibson Brands Forums

Almost Cut My Hair....

Murph

Geez I’m the first one to say that it does no harm to give a kid a kick in the *** or slap now and again , but a teacher cutting someone’s hair ? That’s just insanity and I’m amazed he’s allowed back .

A kick in the *** or a slap now and then...? You've got to be kidding! Try that today and if the kid's parent doesn't return the favor the police will be talking to you - as they should. Come on now.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A kick in the *** or a slap now and then...? You've got to be kidding! Try that today and if the kid's parent doesn't return the favor the police will be talking to you - as they should. Come on now.

You pick out any great figure from history , any one you want , and chances are they were smacked as children

Now today little Tristan can draw on the walls if he likes because mummy does t want to stifle his artistic side

Few in here could’ve done with a bit more as children too !!

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Sort of hard to deny that there will, in any generation, not be some kids that need more than a stern talking to.

I'm not sure there is any way to beat good sense into somebody. It certainly isn't the way you train animals, and it probably doesn't work for kids, either. It seems to be primarily a way for adults to take out their frustrations on kids.

I can remember getting my mouth washed out with soap once, having to cut a switch for my father to hit me with once, and having my mother hit me with a belt once. As I recall, it was more traumatic for them than for me, but that was more than 60 years ago, so I could be wrong.

What I learned was, "don't get caught."

Oh yeah, and my fraternity brothers in college beat on me with a paddle, but that wasn't for anything I did wrong. I left that fraternity shortly thereafter.

I'm not sure there is any way to beat good sense into somebody.

Agree, don't go there - you can leave all kinds of marks in the kid, , , , and in yourself.

I once in a while took some slaps over the back-head on the way out of my brothers room when goin' to far and making him cry. That was innocent.

But in school the punishments got more serious.

1 hard chin slap from an old teacherin over whom I cracked a joke while she did a sewing-machine instruction, , , slam !

(It was the late 60's - the first year boys and girls switched wood-work/needle-work and she must have been nervous)

But also chin clams and puffs on the head with a book took place over the years.

It started as early as first class where another in fact rather sweet and experienced female teacher would call the little bandits up to the blackboard,

then making them/us face the class. Standing close behind she grabbed our short hair just in front of the ears on each side and began to lift, saying what would be like :

Do you see the hens of Westham ?

Of course you kept answering no while she lifted you higher till finally breakin' down, "yes, yes, yes".

Haha he, , , wonder if the teachers then were so stupid they couldn't see we gained status that way. It was a mans-test par excellence - for a 6 year old musketeer.

I wouldn't allow any teacher to do that sort of thing to my kid.

Physical punishment is measured by the authority's highly subjective mind and personal state and controlling it is almost impossible.

That was how it was in the so called black schools in the 1950's and further back.

Not a scene to revisit. Then rather some hard physical tasks. Fx hours or days of shovel-soil-wheelbarrow work.

And the master frequently shouting from a speaker : Forward - Forward - Forward

No, for the sake of the 7 silver-salmons, , the last part is hereby drawn back.

Teachers could get away with quite a bit back in the 60s and 70s. The nuns were the worse.. my first year or two in a catholic school absolutely put the fear of God into me. they were brutal.

I moved to public schools after, begging my mom and dad to NOT send me there..

High school was chaos.

I graduated in 76, I recall one afternoon near the close of the year, my science teacher was having it out with one of the other students at study hall (ha,, great name for that, no studying was possible) this was just before the last bell of the day. No idea what sparked it.

The kid must have told him to screw or some thing like that, and turned to walk away. I was like 10 feet away, and watched it all happen.. Teacher walks up behind this guy grabs him by the shoulder, spins him around "Don't you DARE walk away from me you punk"... that's all he had the chance to say.. Took a right hook in the jaw.. "WHACK!" He wound up on his backside about 15 feet from where he was standing. He wasn't a small guy either,... went down like a sack of rocks. I actually walked over and helped him up to his feet with a few of my friends. I had him for a few years, and I actually liked his classes.. I felt bad for him. Bit off more than he could chew that day.

These days, forget about it, I wouldn't want the job.. no thanks.

Let it grow, Murph. Once you reach a certain age, the folks who are well below that age tend to automatically think those at that "certain age" are undeniably old, disheveled, grouchy, and senile....so uncut hair pretty much goes along with the image. Don't be annoyed with them. Some day, if they're lucky, they'll reach that "certain age" and understand. [thumbup]

Let it grow, Murph. Once you reach a certain age, the folks who are well below that age tend to automatically think those at that "certain age" are undeniably old, disheveled, grouchy, and senile.

I've got that part covered, Larry. Took a while to figure out the advantages.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I had a haircut!

I asked my luthier where he had just had his cut. I saw on the web that they were open to 5pm Saturday, so I got there at 4pm to try and avoid the Hipster haircuts that seem to take hours.

So parking was slightly easy but still traumatic - den of thieves area - so I walked in, said hello, sat down to wait and I spy 2 old geezer barbers and 1 beautiful girl barber.....and get this - an acoustic guitar leaning in the corner! So the geezers were still cutting and the girl’s electric chair became available.

And I still live and breath. I may have babbled a bit instead of being cool and my haircut could be horrible but who cares? Can I go back next week - is that too early?

I think my hair would need to grow for 4 weeks before I waas allowed in any of the armed forces.... [unsure] [unsure] [unsure]

BluesKing777.

I actually got mine cut a few weeks back, however I always wait real long till it's almost too late (might as well let it grow) and then get it cut to where it looks like I need a haircut.

:huh:

“I look down to see the people that are governing me and making my rules — and they haven’t got any hair on their head. I get very uptight about it.” —Bob Dylan, 1963

Makes you wonder.

Does absolute power corrupt hair follicles ?

:-k

DYLAN: The thing that most people don't realize is that it's warmer to have long hair. Everybody wants to be warm. People with short hair freeze easily. Then they try to hide their coldness, and they get jealous of everybody that's warm. Then they become either barbers or Congressmen. A lot of prison wardens have short hair. Have you ever noticed that Abraham Lincoln's hair was much longer than John Wilkes Booth's?

PLAYBOY: Do you think Lincoln wore his hair long to keep his head warm?

DYLAN: Actually, I think it was for medical reasons, which are none of my business. But I guess if you figure it out, you realize that all of one's hair surrounds and lays on the brain inside your head. Mathematically speaking, the more of it you can get out of your head, the better. People who want free minds sometimes overlook the fact that you have to have an uncluttered brain. Obviously, if you get your hair on the outside of your head, your brain will be a little more freer. But all this talk about long hair is just a trick. It's been thought up by men and women who look like cigars - the anti-happiness committee. They're all freeloaders and cops. You can tell who they are: They're always carrying calendars, guns or scissors. They're all trying to get into your quicksand. They think you've got something. I don't know why Abe Lincoln had long hair.

all of one's hair surrounds and lays on the brain inside your head. Mathematically speaking, the more of it you can get out of your head, the better. People who want free minds sometimes overlook the fact that you have to have an uncluttered brain. Obviously, if you get your hair on the outside of your head, your brain will be a little more freer.

My new favorite quote.

If you travelled to Malaysia via Singapore in the 70s, and you had long hair, the officials at the airport stamped your passport with “Suspected Hippy In Transit” = (S.H.I.T.).

Hong Kong to China.....”Pervert” for long hairs.....

:mellow: :mellow: [mellow]

But the worst was my headmaster at high school.......he thought if he chased BK across the sportsgrounds as I escaped over the fences, calling out, he would cut my hair and throw away my dirty unshined boots........but he never found out! [tongue] [tongue] [flapper]

BluesKing777.

Archived