Gibson Brands Forums

Sharp capstan holes on Rotomatics

Jinder

Hi all,

I have an issue with my SJ200, I keep arbitrarily breaking top E strings (two at my gig last night and a third when noodling around at home post-show!), which after some sleuthing I’ve tracked down to a burred and sharp capstan hole on the top E machinehead.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you go about sorting it out? I’m thinking that taking the burr off with a needle file and then smoothing with some emery paper would be the best course of action, but if anyone else has any suggestions, I’m all ears!

I’d rather not change the machineheads if I can avoid it. I’ve got a set of Sta-Tites sitting unused but I’d rather not have the hassle of ordering conversion bushings and messing around drilling extra holes etc in order to replace the Rotomatics, they work just fine and are road tough tuners, so they can stay. I just want to stop mowing through the entirety of Northern Europe’s top E stocks!!

Hi all,

I have an issue with my SJ200, I keep arbitrarily breaking top E strings (two at my gig last night and a third when noodling around at home post-show!), which after some sleuthing I’ve tracked down to a burred and sharp capstan hole on the top E machinehead.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you go about sorting it out? I’m thinking that taking the burr off with a needle file and then smoothing with some emery paper would be the best course of action, but if anyone else has any suggestions, I’m all ears!

I’d rather not change the machineheads if I can avoid it. I’ve got a set of Sta-Tites sitting unused but I’d rather not have the hassle of ordering conversion bushings and messing around drilling extra holes etc in order to replace the Rotomatics, they work just fine and are road tough tuners, so they can stay. I just want to stop mowing through the entirety of Northern Europe’s top E stocks!!

It might be hard to get it smooth enough with a needle file. A tiny piece of flexible emery cloth on the tip of a cut-off toothpick might work. There is also fine sanding cord available, but I don't know if it is small enough in diameter to fit through a post hole. If it is, I would just run it through the hole until the edges were smooth.

I have a set of precision needle files of various shapes, and the smallest tapered round file will fit in the bevel around a string post hole, so your original idea might well work, particularly if the rough spot is obvious.

It's good you were able to identify the culprit, and you're on the right track for fixing it.

I have not had a problem, but I did read somewhere that you can smooth out the sharp edge by wizzing a guitar string in and out (repeatedly). Easy to get and end bit...

BluesKing777.

Good idea. I'd use the fattest wound string that would easily fit through the hole, like a cut-off low E.

Thanks guys, I think I’m going to struggle to find the sanding cord locally to me, so I’ll try finessing it with some bottom E offcuts first...I’ve used wound strings to get rid of sharp nut slot edges in the past so it should work in this case!

Should you need, I have a spare set of tulips you can have for free plus shipping...

Sal, that’s amazingly kind of you-I’ll let you know how I get on with sorting the Rotos but if the problem persists I would very gracefully accept your offer!

Hey Jinder, I don't know what the European version of a Dremel tool might be, but they have a zillion little grinding wheel dealy bobs for them.

I also think a hard (stainless) wound string might work, but they're meant to be NON abrasive, so then again maybe not.

Hey Jinder, I don't know what the European version of a Dremel tool might be, but they have a zillion little grinding wheel dealy bobs for them.

Just to clarify, I meant to use one of those by hand gently, not actually a dremel tool.

Just to clarify, I meant to use one of those by hand gently, not actually a dremel tool.

That’s a good plan, I hadn’t thought about that-my Dad has a Dremel with a ton of those little grinding bits in different shapes and sizes, I’ll take the guitar over there and have a look next time I’m free!

I’ve sorted it...I got hold of a set of modelmaker’s miniature needle files and some 1200 grit emery paper, took the burrs off with the file and then smoothed the whole caboodle with the emery paper, seems to be peachy now! I have one capstan with very little gold plating left on it, but it’s not noticeable from anything more than 3ft away. Job done!

Archived