Gibson Brands Forums

I Got A Name

drathbun

I recorded a cover of Jim Croce's song "I Got A Name". In addition to some backing tracks for drums, strings and keys, I'm playing my Gibson SJ200 (Jim's part) and my Martin 000-28vs (Maury's part), plus my Taylor GA3-12 string. I am happy to report all three guitars get along well and there are few arguments among them about which is better. Not better, different!

After I recorded and mixed the tracks using my new DAW Presonus StudioOne version 3, I played the songs back while playing each of the guitars and recording video on my iPhone. I drag all the videos into my video editor and dump the audio tracks recorded by the iPhone and use the audio file mastered from StudioOne. The original audio was recorded using Rode M5 matched pair condensers (guitars) and a Rode NT1A (vocal).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_7DkF7ROwU

Really great performance(s) and production.

You don't need no stinkin' band!

Thanks, Nick.

Yeah, I'm not good enough for a band. That's why I record... because it takes me a thousand takes to get stuff right! LOL

Wow, that was brilliant, both as far as the performance and production. As you know, I have been through my own home recording adventure recently, and I know now how difficult it is to get stuff to sound good. It takes a lot of skill to do what you did!

Lars

Archived