Gibson Brands Forums

Why Do Gibson Headstocks Break?

drathbun

The repair actually makes the neck stronger. We've seen that over and over with LP's, SG's etc.

By this logic one might as well break the head stock immediately after production, fix it and get it over with.Sort of like torrefaction (or whatever the proper term may be). Interesting.

Reminds me of my 1974 J-50 Deluxe. Got it repaired during the 1980's.

74_neck.jpg

My 1972 SJD’s neck and repair looks identical. In my case I stupidly dropped the guitar during a photo session. The authorized Gibson repairman in the area repaired mine and promised me that the repaired spot is now stronger than it ever was and that if another break occurs, it won’t be there.

Many sources claim that the neck volute that Norlin instituted in the 70s was actually put in the wrong place on the neck, making the section under it more prone to breaking, despite their introducing the neck volute to stop neck breaks to reduce warrantee repairs. It’s a good thing, the Henry era discontinued the volute that Norlin introduced.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

By this logic one might as well break the head stock immediately after production, fix it and get it over with.Sort of like torrefaction (or whatever the proper term may be). Interesting.

Ummm no I wouldn't recommend that. :) Just don't drop the guitar, either off its stand or in the case. To be clear, any single piece neck with a larger headstock angle (>13 degrees say...Gibsons are 17 degrees) will be vulnerable to a neck break at the weakest point near the nut.

I've seen guitars that have been broken and repaired more than once.

Back in the 80's I had a Kramer electric that had the two piece neck with a severe headstock back angle. The glue couldn't hold the stress and the fretboard started to bulge due to the joint slippage. Hated that guitar because of that and treated it badly. I accidentally on purpose dropped it and snapped the neck. I wood glued it back together and it's still holding strong. My nephew currently owns it.

Those damned Gibsons!!!! I warned all you folks about this years ago. If you recall correctly, I offered to buy your Gibsons for $50 each (and I'd pay shipping), so long as the headstock was still attached. Well, since you failed to act on my offer, I'll make it once more, but now I'll only pay $15 (you pay the shipping). Let me know when to expect your guitar. [thumbup]

Those damned Gibsons!!!! I warned all you folks about this years ago. If you recall correctly, I offered to buy your Gibsons for $50 each (and I'd pay shipping), so long as the headstock was still attached. Well, since you failed to act on my offer, I'll make it once more, but now I'll only pay $15 (you pay the shipping). Let me know when to expect your guitar. [thumbup]

HEY LARRY!! Haven't heard from you much lately Hope all is well.. Good the hear from you! as for your most generous offer, let me chew on it for a few decades, let ya know!! :)

LOL! Out of my cold, dead, hands! Give me a solid, one-piece neck with a 17 degree headstock angle every time! I'll risk it!

Archived