Gibson Brands Forums

Ivory Machine heads for 355

Mark Simpkin

I have a Gibson ES 355 Custom Shop ’59 Ebony reissue. I love mine but if I was to want for more from it, I would have loved it to have had the ivory machine heads. Given I’ll keep this one until I Kark it, I’d probably fit them if I could find a supplier. Any thought or suggestions regarding suppliers of genuine equipment? The gold heads screw off so it would be great if thats all I had to do is drop on the ivory replacements.

I have a Gibson ES 355 Custom Shop ’59 Ebony reissue. I love mine but if I was to want for more from it, I would have loved it to have had the ivory machine heads. Given I’ll keep this one until I Kark it, I’d probably fit them if I could find a supplier. Any thought or suggestions regarding suppliers of genuine equipment? The gold heads screw off so it would be great if thats all I had to do is drop on the ivory replacements.

The tulip shaped ones?

Ivory like parts from an elephant?

Don't do it, you'll be paid back by developing testicular elephantiasis and rheumatoid arthritis.

Yeah. I hope he was talking about the faux ones. Is that real poncho or a sears poncho.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry You're right, bad descriptor, I tried to find out what they were made from but couldn't until now. It seems they are deemed "Vintage" and they're plastic so Elephants please relax.

My 355 Tuning Heads are retained by a screw so I ideally shouldn't need to replace the whole thing, just the plastic part.

If there is a replacement available and anyone knows how I can get to it, I would appreciate your feedback.

regards Mark

Ivory like parts from an elephant?

Don't do it, you'll be paid back by developing testicular elephantiasis and rheumatoid arthritis.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived