Gibson Brands Forums

'64 Hummingbird

Buc McMaster

Nice guitar. Looks like the plastic bridge has been replaced. Gary's has a lot of nice guitars...almost drove there to look at his Hummingbirds, but ended up finding the one I have now before making the trip.

Here's a natural finish one that he has for sale: https://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/1964-gibson-hummingbird-rare-natural-finish-deluxe-model

That one's quite a bit more. Thinking about getting one?

Nice guitar. Looks like the plastic bridge has been replaced. Gary's has a lot of nice guitars...almost drove there to look at his Hummingbirds, but ended up finding the one I have now before making the trip.

Here's a natural finish one that he has for sale: https://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/1964-gibson-hummingbird-rare-natural-finish-deluxe-model

That one's quite a bit more. Thinking about getting one?

Gary gets nice guitars, and he asks a fortune for them.

Gary gets nice guitars, and he asks a fortune for them.

That's Garys. He has great stuff but has also, lets just say, never been bashful when it comes to asking prices.

Agree with both of these comments....

Him Gary is quite scary.

But have to admit I have his show-room in Loveland Ohio on my dreamlist.

It rates over both The Chinese Wall, canoes in Grand Canyon and the orangutans of Borneo.

Nothing though, would beat a cup of English tea in the garden around Friar Park.

Him Gary is quite scary.

But have to admit I have his show-room in Loveland Ohio on my dreamlist.

It rates over both The Chinese Wall, canoes in Grand Canyon and the orangutans of Borneo.

Gary gets some very nice guitars, but I would rather spend a few days with tpbiii's collection.

Gary gets some very nice guitars, but I would rather spend a few days with tpbiii's collection.

Now that would be something - still mister Gary offers that unique opportunity to A/B/D similar models, which really lites me up.

Every time I look at Gary's offerings I immediately start picturing what else I could buy at his asking prices. You have to wonder though does he actually get that price?

As someone suggested on these pages a couple of years back, he might be so wild about the guitars in the show-room that he doesn't wanna see them go. cool.gifhuh.gif

Every time I look at Gary's offerings I immediately start picturing what else I could buy at his asking prices. You have to wonder though does he actually get that price?

I would probably buy from him if I were not price-sensitive. He does get some very good guitars that are hard to find in the condition he represents them to be. I'd be willing to pay a premium (if I could afford it) for something like a really, really nice SJ from 1946-1951.

He's local to me and I look at his stuff on line all the time. All of the ones I like do disappear so I'm guessing he sells them.

A few years ago I contacted him for gotomsdos on a banner. Gary was very nice and explained to me that he keeps all his guitars in a warehouse.

He said if I ever want to view a few of them to call him and he would get them set up and brought to the showroom.

Do any of these sell?

Some of the guitars on his personal sales site have been there for years (10+?).

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I see his name on Reverb or Ebay etc, I just move along the list.

They should be date stamped.

About three or four years ago, I had a shot at buying a Gibson from a small vintage dealer. I passed and the dealer ended up selling the guitar at one of the guitars shows to Gary. Gary posted it at $2800 more than what I could have got it for and that was without haggling. I believe it is still there.

About three or four years ago, I had a shot at buying a Gibson from a small vintage dealer. I passed and the dealer ended up selling the guitar at one of the guitars shows to Gary. Gary posted it at $2800 more than what I could have got it for and that was without haggling. I believe it is still there.

There is an LG3 like mine that has been there since I was looking and got mine - easy 7 years ago, maybe more!

BluesKing777.

That used to be my bridge, sold it to True Vintage a little over a month ago.

Really fp that's cool I wish I had known I would loved to have put that on mine as I have a bridge made from scratch by a local luthier. I works just fine but I would've preferred a Gibson bridge.

Wait, TVG says Hummingbirds were long scale (25.5) and not 24.75

Is this true? I thought the only long scale birds were the late 1962-early 63 maple varients ?

The squares were short-scale guitars like the J-45.

Some flew off from this standard due to the Kalamazoo stock-situation and borrowed necks (and bodies) from the long Doves.

The short concept changed in the later half of the decade where they grew to 25,50 - but in general they were and still are 24,75.

Maybe someone knows more about this. Preparing to eat my left suede boot if my words are wrong.

The squares were short-scale guitars like the J-45.

Some flew off from this standard due to the Kalamazoo stock-situation and borrowed necks (and bodies) from the long Doves.

The short concept changed in the later half of the decade where they grew to 25,50 - but in general they were and still are 24,75.

Maybe someone knows more about this. Preparing to eat my left suede boot if my words are wrong.

By "Fabulous Flat Tops", the first birds (1960-'62) were short-scale, except for maple versions that were actually modified Doves with long-scale necks. By sometime in 1963, all the squares were long-scale, including the 'bird.

Would you like that suede boot medium, rare, or served over pasta with red sauce?

Archived