Gibson Brands Forums

Les Pail owner wants a Gibson acoustic

Archer993

Well, first of all, you won't find a Gibson acoustic "off the shelf" with low action. They set their actions on the high side out of the factory because it's easier for people to lower the action than to raise it. A good set-up person can lower the action on any Gibson acoustic to your liking, though.

As far as your other requirements, the best advice I can give you is to try some out. They will all feel and sound differently to different people. In my opinion though, you can't go wrong with a good J-45 or J-185, just for starters.

The Songwriter would be another good choice. Or you could go all out and check out an AJ. But be prepared to be knocked off your feet. Playing an AJ after playing some of the other models is like shooting a shotgun after you've been used to shooting a .22.

Hi, there are some Gibson models that actually had a Les Paul neck installed ... from around '67 and '68 I think... some of those more knowledgeable on this forum may have better details. I've personally seen a '67 Dove and a '68 J45 that had the very narrow neck. The Dove (my dad's) also has the Tune-A-Matic bridge, which I would imagine is great for correct intonation (although a questionable influence on tone...).

Here's one that was recently on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270215611597&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

Those vintage ones can be quite expensive, though...

Good luck!

I would try a Songwriter Deluxe. The neck is obviously wider than any Les Paul, but I found that the feel is more 'fluid' (like a Les Paul) than any other acoustic guitar I've tried. And the action is usually okay right off the shelf although that may depend on where you get one from. There are various models that have the cutaway or not depending on your preference.

You might try the Advanced Jumbo-- the neck is on the slim slide, and the rosewood body has a nice bark to it,

kind of like classic 60's buckers.

The j45 neck but be a little chunky for you but the Southern jumbo and J185 have a flat profile along the lines of a Paul (of the 2, the Sj will be warm/woody, the 185 brilliant). Jk

+1 on the Advanced Jumbo. The neck is actually very similar to a Les Paul. It is 1.725 at the nut and has a nice low profile. It certainly is not like my Taylor 612C neck which is slimmer and 1.75 at the nut but it is close and I have no problem switching between the two. I think the AJ neck feels more like a Les Paul and my Taylor is more of a Strat neck. Action on the AJ is a little high, but bluegrassers like it that way. I play mostly fingerstyle and have lowered the action to where I like it. I use Med/Light Elixer Nano's on it and love the way they feel. I keep light's on my Taylor but the Gibson AJ is a slope shouldered Dread so med/light or medium strings will drive the top more and sound better.

Enjoy the hunt. Don't be disappointed about higher action as that can always be adjusted by a competent luthier or tech.

I have a 1973 J45 Deluxe, which has what I call a "fast" neck. It has a low oval profile that does not thicken very much as you play up the neck, a very low but non-buzzing factory saddle, along with the 1.725 in. string spaceing at the nut.

They are the square sholder models, so they can be found on the cheap. But IMHO are fun to play.

The only acoustic guitar I have owned with a faster neck is a 2002 Guild D55.

Dale.

Not-exactly-a-Gibson, but the Epiphone McCartney Texans (either the Japaese-made or very spendy Gibson-made) have very slim necks that will instantly feel familiar to many electric players. Les Pauls have had a number of neck profiles over the years, with most curent reissues being split between 50's or 60's profiles, so it's hard to say which Gibson acoustic would feel most comfortable to you, unless you indicate which you prefer. I think a J-160E has a neck closest to the '50s LP profile (and it has the same inlays!). My advice would be just to play a few and see what feels most comfortable. I just got a J 35 Reissue with a neck like a baseball bat, and contrary to what I would have expected, it's VERY comfortable. Have the dealer or a trusted tech set the action for you, as (with the exception of the Modern Classics, I think) Gibson ships guitars with relatively high action (as the others have pointed out), so you can more easily set it to your liking.

Red 333

I like the neck on a Gibson Advanced Jumbo for a person who normally plays electrics. I find it feels about the same as a Gold Top LP from the late 60s. Certainly, the intonation and quality of an AJ are excellent and set-up, as others here have noted, is easily done to your liking by any qualified tech.

Archived