Gibson Brands Forums

J-200 75th anniversary opinion

Jalex

My local shop has an SJ-200 75th anniversary model for sale. I tried it out this afternoon. I have to say it's the best sounding J-200 I've played. It has a couple of issues the biggest one is a cracked headstock repair. The reverb listing doesn't show the full extent of the repair as it ends up on the side of the headstock next to the tuner. I liked the guitar a lot but the repair worries me a bit. Here's the reverb listing.

https://reverb.com/item/11277303-gibson-j-200-75th-anniversary-2012-quilt-maple-spruce

My local shop has an SJ-200 75th anniversary model for sale. I tried it out this afternoon. I have to say it's the best sounding J-200 I've played. It has a couple of issues the biggest one is a cracked headstock repair. The reverb listing doesn't show the full extent of the repair as it ends up on the side of the headstock next to the tuner. I liked the guitar a lot but the repair worries me a bit. Here's the reverb listing.

https://reverb.com/item/11277303-gibson-j-200-75th-anniversary-2012-quilt-maple-spruce

Well, it had an authorized repair, so that's best-case scenario. Probably won't find another at that price. Make 'em an offer...

The quilting on the back and sides of that J200 is f'ing amazing! The headstock repair done by the factory would make it even more solid than if it hadn't been broken. As long as you don't drop it on its head it will be fine. I'd make an offer if I didn't already have a 75th anniversary J200.

The owner is pretty firm on his asking price, at least for now. I got my 63 Bird from him and he was asking $3800 originally and I ended up getting it for $2900. So I guess if it sits for a while he may be willing to budge. I would have to pay 9% sales tax as I'm in Alabama also so bumps the price up a lot.

Well, it is purty and all but we all know that any head stock repair devalues the instrument (on average) by 50%, if he's firm, I say.. good luck Sir getting THAT price.

I'd move on, and keep looking... there have to be more WITHOUT a crack repair..

I do not obviously have a clue how many SJ/J-200 you have played. But I do know the feeling when you hit upon a guitar that something in you says "this is the one." In the past decade alone I cannot recall how many SJ-200s I have played but walked away from, even when the guitar and substantial cash would have come our way in trade for our 1960 J-200. Personally, I have never cared for the look of quilted maple so am immune to its charms. But other than that I would think it is a standard SJ-200. I do not have a clue what a ca. 2012 guitar goes for but for me the question comes down to how much are the aesthetics worth to you. But I have also learned turning your back on a guitar you really like over a few hundred measly bucks is a mistake.

ya know what.. I agree, but I suppose to an extent.

busted neck has it's demons for sure. add to it, no warranty if something else is amiss..

Where the price is tagged, north of 3k, is a bit too steep given the history.

you could be right tho........ hard call...

With sales tax it would be close to $3500 for me which is out of my comfort zone for a guitar with a neck repair. Also what the reverb listing doesn't show is the amount of buckle rash on the back. I'd be in for $2500 but no more. I agree Sal the strap pin placement is odd

I definitely “get it” when a guitar literally calls your name when you play it. Tough to walk-away from it when you’re ready to buy, but that’s a lot of money for a guitar with that repair. Lots of great used and new Gibson’s out there for that kind of money. The maple back looks as good as the back of my Mystic Rosewood Southern Jumbo, but unless I turn the guitar around, no one can see it. It may be as great a guitar as you want it to be, but if you have even the smallest doubt/worry in regards to the headstock, I’d pass on it......just my opinion....doesn’t make me right and you wrong.

With sales tax it would be close to $3500 for me which is out of my comfort zone for a guitar with a neck repair. Also what the reverb listing doesn't show is the amount of buckle rash on the back. I'd be in for $2500 but no more. I agree Sal the strap pin placement is odd

I think you are pretty much right on the money with that figure. A professionally repaired headstock will knock around 30% to 35% off the price tag. So assuming around a $4K price tag for a clean one, I would think that would put the guitar in the $2600 range.

I bought an AJ custom, with adi top, madagascar back/sides, and ebony board a few years back. It had a broken headstock repair. I paid right at 50% of what the guitar would have been worth without the damaged headstock. It has held up fine. The trussrod acts strangely if I tighten it past a certian point, but that might be totally unrelated to the repair; I don't know.

I'm going pass on it. I'm sure some poor uninformed local will walk in there and pay the asking price. Oh well plenty more guitars out there I'll keep on searching. Thanks all for sharing your opinions.

I bought an AJ custom, with adi top, madagascar back/sides, and ebony board a few years back. It had a broken headstock repair. I paid right at 50% of what the guitar would have been worth without the damaged headstock. It has held up fine. The trussrod acts strangely if I tighten it past a certian point, but that might be totally unrelated to the repair; I don't know.

I now a lot of folks who will not move on a guitar with a repaired headstock at anything less than a 50% discount. It is has gotten to the point that the break up value on certain vintage electrics, if you factor in the resale of the original carcass with repro parts, is greater than what they can get for the original guitar with a repaired headstock.

I'm going pass on it. I'm sure some poor uninformed local will walk in there and pay the asking price. Oh well plenty more guitars out there I'll keep on searching. Thanks all for sharing your opinions.

good call!

I'd be walkin away too... asking prices is unreasonable IMO.

I agree Sal the strap pin placement is odd

if odd means WRONG then yes! cuz it's wrong. It should be located at the heal, right at the center of the body. this one looks too close to fret board.

Archived