Gibson Brands Forums

The Accidental Buyer

MorrisrownSal

Haha! Yep, now he must kiss the seller's butt to get off without blowback. Ebay or Reverb will be helpful but if the seller is adamant he may get bad feedback. If he didn't pay he won't lose anything. If he did, he'll be relying on the kindness of strangers.

Anyone ever put a bid in for a guitar they were interested in (on reverb or ebay), not really thinking it would get accepted, and then it was?

Asking for a friend...

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope!

come to think of it.... I have never bought a guitar of eBay or Reverb, Sold but not bought.. I'm a sucker, I almost always buy new...

what am I missing???

(asking for a friend)

Heart break?

Self loathing?

General Remorse?

All of the above?

:)

I have bid on guitars and then thought what he heck was I thinking but have never actually won anything other than a couple of el cheapos I wanted as parts guitars and which nobody else bid on. I did buy a case off of Reverb but never a guitar and rarely bid on eBay. I am, however, a sucker for the Shop Goodwill site. They get some really hard to find instruments donated. I have run across such tasty instruments as NYC-made Guilds and once even a Kalamzaoo-made Gibson violin (not one of the imported fiddles they sold later on). Downside is you get minimal information and the guitars are often in dreadful condition. I have bid on two guitars in just the past month - a Carl Holzaphel and a Kel Kroyden. I did not win the Holzaphel and stopped bidding on the Kroyden when I decided to spend my guitar money on the 1961 Gibson B45-12. In retrospect, I probably should have kept going on it though.

I've bid on a couple of guitars on eBay after having one too many scotches and woken up the next day to an email congratulating me on the winning bid. I got my J-185 off reverb like that also put in a super low bid and it was accepted. Thankfully I've scored some great guitars at killer prices so it all worked out just fine. Though not a recommended method for buying guitars😂

Thanks for having fun with me.

I'll let you know about my drunk-dial episode in a week or so.

So what did you buy Sal? Or are we gonna have to wait till it arrives before the big reveal.

So what did you buy Sal? Or are we gonna have to wait till it arrives before the big reveal.

I'm thinking an official Roy Rogers 6 String with a matching hat and six shooter, with a 6 rolls of Bang Bang caps..

1524065744[/url]' post='1930719']

I bought an Eastman E10ss/v...

It was this one.

Eastman E10SS/V Hand Rubbed Varnish Finish With Hardshell Case https://applink.reverb.com/item/11329330-eastman-e10ss-v-hand-rubbed-varnish-finish-with-hardshell-case

I'm pretty sure I can flip it for a loss of $100 if I want....

See that's the thing about having a head for business... I may lose $100 per guitar, but I stay in business by making up for it with volume!

I bought an Eastman E10ss/v...

It was this one.

Eastman E10SS/V Hand Rubbed Varnish Finish With Hardshell Case https://applink.reverb.com/item/11329330-eastman-e10ss-v-hand-rubbed-varnish-finish-with-hardshell-case

I'm pretty sure I can flip it for a loss of $100 if I want....

See that's the thing about having a head for business... I may lose $100 per guitar, but I stay in business by making up for it with volume!

the stuff that genius comes from...

Life is short, buy guitars, have fun.

We can't take any of it with us.. so....................

Bid on '63 J-50 going fairly cheap a few years ago after multiple glasses of wine on a Friday night. Waited to get outbid.............didn't happen! Went through with the sale (it was from a big Texas pawn operation) and the guitar arrived undamaged and in much better condition than I expected. I think my final cost was about $1800.00-not a steal, but below market. Still have it-it's very clean and original.

I've tried not to get carried away again with the " I'm not going to let someone else get a bargain" mentality!

I've got you all beat.

I "accidently" bought 30 acres about 20 years ago.

My wife found it in the paper, went and looked, then we went out and explored it together ( 30 acres of woods, no buildings, no utilities).

I made a SUPER low-ball offer on it thinking we'd "do the dance" for a few months, or somebody else would buy it, or whatever.

They accepted my offer, and we weren't ready to buy. I had to scramble some paper and liquidate some assets to make the deal go down, but in the end got a great deal on our own personal State Park.

I've got you all beat.

I "accidently" bought 30 acres about 20 years ago.

My wife found it in the paper, went and looked, then we went out and explored it together ( 30 acres of woods, no buildings, no utilities).

I made a SUPER low-ball offer on it thinking we'd "do the dance" for a few months, or somebody else would buy it, or whatever.

They accepted my offer, and we weren't ready to buy. I had to scramble some paper and liquidate some assets to make the deal go down, but in the end got a great deal on our own personal State Park.

WOW. I bet you had to Liquidate All of Your Assets That Night. I bet You and Your Old Lady Got Into a Knockdown Dragged Out Fight.

Asking for a friend...

I figured as much! I don't know if I would have "accidentally" gone that high, figuring I'd be outbid.

I did put in a very lowball bid (like, 200 bucks or so) on the following funny-looking Epiphone Performer and ended up with it. I was happy to get it, though. Sold it a few years later to fund some, you know, better guitars....cool.gif

pfm130.jpg

Buddy, I feel for you.

One of the few truths of life I've been able to grasp is this: late-night Pinot Grigio and Reverb.com are not a good mix for the old bank account.

So one morning last week I wake up, open my email and find this notice: "Congratulations, your offer has been accepted."

After the obligatory "WTF?" I dig through the links and find out that, apparently, I'm now the proud owner of this:

lxalw04kxmzzwhgfzfwd.jpg

Bottom line: money is replaceable. Great guitars aren't. So, live happy, I say.

Archived