Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson x-plorer pro

Nath07

hi guys i am pleased to have joined the Gibson family and am in firm agreement that they kick ***. my name is Nathan from the UK, i purchased a few years ago a gibson X-plorer pro in trans black, i purchased it brand fine new and used it for many years but sadly now it sits in a case under the bed, Ive no idea wether its my geographical location or some crazy mystical happening but I've never seen one anywhere else for sale or otherwise, ( granted I've not sat and stared at ebay like a dog waiting for a beloved master to arrive home ), due to the elusive nature of them I cannot find any information anywhere as to the value of such a beast. I've a burning desire for a Les Paul standard and am hoping the sale of the X-plorer may contribute towards a proportion of the cost.

Sooooooooo In brief, what I'm asking for is help with any information on the second hand and well used value of it, OR is it a rare model and should keep it under the bed as an heirloom for the kids / the midlife crisis when i take to the stage to reform the old metal band.

any help would be greatly appreciated

the kindest regards

Nathan Peach

From memory

The Firebird-X and later the Explorer X were not popular models.

There were a number of names for them and part of the reason Gibson is having a $500 million problem now. (We'll see if they survive the summer or the Chinese consortium buy them)

Dont expect since they are "rare" that price will jump like a 1959 .

You'll be lucky to get full price for what they were sold when new.

From memory

The Firebird-X and later the Explorer X were not popular models.

There were a number of names for them and part of the reason Gibson is having a $500 million problem now. (We'll see if they survive the summer or the Chinese consortium buy them)

Dont expect since they are "rare" that price will jump like a 1959 .

You'll be lucky to get full price for what they were sold when new.

These are very different from a Firebird X. This guitar is an Explorer from the mid 2000s that is 90% the size of a standard Explorer. They have nice flamed maple tops. No funky electronics.

As Megafrog has already indicated the Explorer Pro is not to be confused with anything else.

As far as I can remember in addition to the smaller body and figured top the Ex-Pro had an ebony 'board, binding to both body and neck and a '60s profile neck. As such they are (probably) quite desirable - albeit to a rather limited market - and I doubt you will have trouble selling it but as far as its value? Can't help other than 'what someone is willing to pay', I'm afraid. There are probably very few (relatively speaking) in the UK which will help your cause but, by the same token, there will probably be only a small number of UK buyers searching for that particular model at any one time.

FWIW a few years ago the Ex-Pro used to sell (used) for around £900 but nowadays?....no idea.

Checking 'Completed Sales' on eBay is, unfortunately, probably the best course of action. A dealer would only offer you perhaps 50-60% of what they think they could realise on it so I wouldn't go down that route myself. Selling through a dealership on a commission basis would give you a larger slice of the pie but you wouldn't receive any money until the guitar sells - which could take quite some time if you want top-price.

Good luck in whichever direction you choose to go.

P.

EIDT : Apparently Reverb still has them valued around the £900 mark as the Final Price in the 'Price History Chart' listings;

https://reverb.com/u...o-2007-sunburst

Archived