Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Dylan's 1974 J 45?

JuanCarlosVejar

I’m something of a (retired) Dylanologist, having studied him intently for many years as a younger man. In the ‘70s, other than the ex Harrison J200 early on, it was all Martins-mainly 00-28s and a 00-42 which was used for the Minnesota sessions for BOTT, and occasionally a D28 but never a square J45. As I recall, Yamaha presented him with some high end FGs which he used at the end of the Slow Train era into the start of the Saved phase, and of course in the ‘80s he went off the classic guitar rails into the land of Washburns and allsorts, but again no square Norlin instruments.

I’d say that if he bought this one for a project, it’s no surprise that he didn’t use it-it’s not a great example of a square 45 to these ears.

Sure - generally not many acoustics Gibsons on the scene in 70's - no slopes at all, , , ,

'cept for the invasive Ovation, which of course a chapter completely for itself.

I seem to recall a D-45 or 42 in the hands of Mister T live around Blood in the Tracks. Correct if wrong.

But again no Gibsons since Nashville Sky.

And then the re-introduction of the old round J-45 during the 90's. And a 1 nite stand H-Bird as early as the 1993 Clinton inauguration.

The rebirth of acoustic Gibsons is bigger than we sometimes seem to remember.

Hail Captain Ferguson and crew.

Here's a just found mid70's scene. Lightfoot has lit up a zig, , , and a Dove. Dylan is behind a D-35 and McGuinn has left his 12'er in the corner.

A B-45 with the broad bridge. .. ? , , , or 50. .

1975-76 ~ XXt8Ysc.jpg

Actually a rather good shot.

Archived