Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar - Settling in period?

uncle fester

Hi All - I've got a new guitar, about a month old - love it to no end, and have no issues at all w/ it. I've heard on several posts though people say after their guitar had a chance to settle in, they'd take it in for a new set up.

Regardless of me having any issues with current set up etc, is that just a good practice, what would a new set up buy me, and how long is a good settling in period? Really appreciate the input.

Rgds -billroy

I agree- to see how rosewood would be in a short scale, slope shouldered guitar, I bought Eastman E-20 SS, then took it to the luthier just to see if he could find the weakest link in the guitar’s set up (there wasn’t one), and he ended up introducing the dreaded “ski jump” at 14th fret. No trust rod adjustment could help the situation, and it would’ve required fret removal, neck plane, and refret to repair.

Each time I got a new guitar I waited at least a couple of months to get it in for a setup. In some cases, if for instance I got it in the spring when we go from very low humidity in Minnesota to normal/high humidity in summer, I have waited till the humidity got to some sort of "normal" level then took it in. Same as if I bought in the fall going into winter with the humidity doing the opposite. But whatever you do, indeed get a setup. Can make all the difference in the world in playability. The cost surely justifies the outcome. Hope that helps!

I think it's sort of two fold. One part is the instrument to really acclimate to climate you're in. I know you're not far from where I live, and this winter is freakin endless here in Central Mass. We're still running the heat, and I'm still maintaining humidifiers in the cases.

The second part is once you get used to the feel and touch, you'll be in a better mind set to what you really need to have done to improve the play-ability.

Other than the reality that any new guitar should have a setup done, nut regulation checked, frets polished, maybe some leveling done if you like real low action and you don't want BUZZ. My SJ200 was a tad high when it first arrived, I let it ride for about 6 weeks then finally had a setup done. It came out of that shop playing like a dream. I know where I needed the action set from my other acoustics, and the guy I brought it to knew too, he did it while I waited.

this winter is freakin endless here in Central Mass. We're still running the heat, and I'm still maintaining humidifiers in the cases.

Same here, but don't complain too much because I just heard a report that it will start warming up soon and we will have a hotter than normal summer. ;)

For the OP's guitar, since you "love it to no end, and have no issues at all" then just play the hell out of it and be happy. Why buy problems? If you later become convinced that it needs work, it can be easily dealt with then. It's like you're still on your honeymoon and saying "I love my wife to no end, but just in case I'm unhappy with her later, when would be the best time to file for a divorce?" [biggrin]

I hope to see winter vacate the general area soon.. The golf courses are still waiting to open don't chya know

Anyways, as much as I liked the J200 when I first got it, I knew that it needed to be setup. I finally got to the point where, "ok.. now is the time"

and it made a huge difference. this could be exactly what Bill is going thru now.

Hey All - Thanks for the input. Sounds like the best advice is if it isn't broke don't fix it. I'll keep enjoying my way, and will only look to poke holes in things when it seems necessary to poke. Rgds - billroy

(PS - and yes, the weather vacating the area would not be a bad thing!)

I let my guitar settle in for 17 years before I brought it in for a checkup. The tech lowered the (not original) saddle a bit which helped lower the action and improved the intonation, but I also think the guitar isn't quite a loud as it used to be.

It it feels good, is easy-on-the-fingers, easy-up-the-neck, decent intonation, I'd go with it the way it is for now, at least. My J45TV and AJ were "used." Never done a thing to either. They play so easily that I'm sure the previous owner/s had a setup done. Nothing comes from the factory like these two. My J100 was brand new, decent setup, but so much better once I had it done by a pro. It went from pretty good to great. Same with my Southern Jumbo. Bought it "used," didn't care for the setup. Once it was done it's like running your fingers through warm butter. Go with what you have for now. You may change your mind as you do or learn different techniques. Don't know your skill level or playing technique, but you might find you get some string buzzing at the 7th fret for example. A pro setup will very likely eliminate that. Or, it may feel good everywhere up-and-down-the-neck........I don't know much about letting a guitar settle in. My guitars would probably be better off if I did, but when I get a new (or used) I generally play the hell out of it and take it to all my gigs for a while. [thumbup]

Archived