Gibson Brands Forums

locks for latch

goldtop2

locks are often thought as a great idea, till one looses the key, or the combination wheels stop working... then, not so much..

careful there lad..

Very true! Seen more F*ed up cased with bad lock experiences...

Very true! Seen more F*ed up cased with bad lock experiences...

yes! This is why I posed.. Some years ago, during my heavy gigging days, our other guitarist/singer for some reason, decided that he was going to lock his LP case with the case combo lock. (trying to keep his at the time 6 year old out of the case, or so he says..)

Somehow the combo lock malfunctioned and the #s he set got reset.. This was discovered during sound check, about an hour or so before we were supposed to start.... nothing worked except a large screw driver to pry the hasp opened. In one way, the lock was fixed because after that, the hasp was totally demolished. He bought a new case, and left the little red strip to disable the lock in there and instead, stored the guitar case out of his kids reach. (which was an excellent idea!!!!!!!)

Seriously, the lock on the case is never going to be a deterrent. Any one who steals ones guitar, is not going to pause for two seconds to break the lock or hasp to get into the case. IMO, it's asking for trouble, (Just ask my buddy Mike. He'll vouch for it. the 6 year old is now almost 35, it was a long long time ago.)

Now I don't think the OP plans to use a combo lock, but a key is lost very easily too.

I was discussing this very thing with a friend of mine a while ago. He asked about the lock and I said that I didn't use it. He looked at it and mentioned that he could just see a thief look at the case, want to steal the guitar, see the lock and say, "Curses! I've been foiled!"

If they're going to steal it, they'll steal it case and all and then break the lock/case to get the guitar inside.

Seriously, the lock on the case is never going to be a deterrent. Any one who steals ones guitar, is not going to pause for two seconds to break the lock or hasp to get into the case. IMO, it's asking for trouble, (Just ask my buddy Mike. He'll vouch for it. the 6 year old is now almost 35, it was a long long time ago.)

If I was to steal a guitar, I would take the case with it, locked or not.

yes! This is why I posed.. Some years ago, during my heavy gigging days, our other guitarist/singer for some reason, decided that he was going to lock his LP case with the case combo lock. (trying to keep his at the time 6 year old out of the case, or so he says..)

Somehow the combo lock malfunctioned and the #s he set got reset.. This was discovered during sound check, about an hour or so before we were supposed to start.... nothing worked except a large screw driver to pry the hasp opened. In one way, the lock was fixed because after that, the hasp was totally demolished. He bought a new case, and left the little red strip to disable the lock in there and instead, stored the guitar case out of his kids reach. (which was an excellent idea!!!!!!!)

Now I don't think the OP plans to use a combo lock, but a key is lost very easily too.

Well put sir! Someone might have told me from here or somewhere else, but locks only keep honest people out msp_biggrin.gif

sadly, all true. At the end of the day, the best we can do is find the proper instrument insurance, pay for the yearly premiums. Not usually all that expensive. At least if some arse-hat steals it, you can recoup the cash, and hunt for another. this is an imperfect world..

Well soundcheck not being able to get in locked out sounds like you dodnt have a back up guitar.

At the same note the output jack or pickup couldve decided to malfunction.

Kids this is why you should consider back up equipment

A lock allows you to also lock up your wrench set, extra strings, extra strap and stuff in the case compartment when you have the guitar out.

Well soundcheck not being able to get in locked out sounds like you dodnt have a back up guitar.

A lock allows you to also lock up your wrench set, extra strings, extra strap and stuff in the case compartment when you have the guitar out.

Good points. However, Kid's buddy would have ended up using that flat head screw driver, spare guitar or not.

Yep!!!!!!

wasn't me, I have spares, just break a string once mid set, and you'll learn that lesson.

Mikey was gonna play my strat that night if the case breakin wasn't to happen..

I even toss a backup amp in my trunk.

Cases were usually sitting behind our amps, no one was gettin close to em with out us knowing.

I don't think the case locks are at all that usefull... but that's just my exp... (after playing in bars/pubs for 40+ years, maybe there's a few tricks I missed? it's possible)

There is a slot with a fitting that allows for a lock on these cases so I just figured gibson sold locks too.

they could, but I have never seen one.

Almost all of my gibson cases have the combo lock,, two have the fitting that you mention.

Good luck!

Archived