Gibson Brands Forums

NGD-2014 Custom Shop J180 Everly

Jinder

The Dove is gone...replaced with this! Plays like butter all over the neck and sounds even better than it looks! Wonderful guitar to sing with, it has a perfect sonic pocket that a male vocal sits in like a dream. So looking forward to exploring it!

post-276-064198500 1524182238_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I've never been a fan of the Everly double pickguards,

Until Now! They look great with the red body - a beautiful guitar!

Many congrats, and glad your Dove ordeal is now completely in the rear view mirror.

That is nice...hated to see the Dove saga end the way it did, but Time marches on...

Not to be critical, but do the double pickguards muffle the sound any? A fellow told me once he felt more of the sound against his torso more than projecting out...I didn't really but it; would like to try one myself...

And that red is really striking...I dig it...now I'm jealous of your EB...

Thanks all!!

I’m a happy man, it’s a beautiful guitar. Sounds gorgeous and I love the look of it. It’s a guitar I’ve had my eye on for some time as a dealer friend had it in stock for a while. He cut me an insanely good deal on it too which really sweetens it all.

Sonically it’s very much like a J185 (unsurprisingly!), balanced is the best way to describe it-very even and smooth with a chiming top end, warm (but not woofy or woolly) bass and a slight mid scoop that makes it a real peach to sing with. It fingerpicks well but really sings when you hit it with a pick, it strums and flatpicks well with the classic thump and quick decay of Maple.

The pickguards are very thin and don’t seem to affect the tone negatively at all-they were a selling point for me, I love the look and the practical aspect of keeping the top protected.

Congrats!

Looks like Gibson lost faith in the pinless bridge.

For as long as I can remember whenever I would talk with the owner of my favorite little music store about this or that guitar he would come out with two standard pitches - It plays like buttah and it is a cannon. It was expected as it was part of the ritual along with one of us blurting out "you are killing me" somewhere in the negotiations.

That is nice...hated to see the Dove saga end the way it did, but Time marches on...

Not to be critical, but do the double pickguards muffle the sound any? A fellow told me once he felt more of the sound against his torso more than projecting out...I didn't really but it; would like to try one myself...

And that red is really striking...I dig it...now I'm jealous of your EB...

Yeah - I've posted a few times (i think usually in threads debating things like flubber guards) that, to me, tone changes occur more when you're standing while playing and have the guitar hanging braced against your belly thereby muffling the vibrations of the back - than I observed the one time I took a pick guard off a Gibson acoustic. YMMV. (depending on if the beer belly is domestic or import, of course)

Jinder

I did not see this thread until AFTER I read the "Dove Fret" thread -- my bad. As you likely can gather I like the J-185. It's similar to and in fact was the basis for the initial Everlys model. Although I think it's long scale and a maple neck, with similar but possibly slightly modified bracing. Not sure about that bit, and I'm referring here to the '60s Everlys compared with the '50s J-185s, not the current crop of either model which probably has exactly the same bracing.

When the Dwight Yoakam Y2K model came out, people poo-poo'd it due to its goofy "half-acre of pickguard". I wasn't too crazy about the look either, but, I must say that almost without exception, every example of the Dwight J-180 that I found played real nice and had a real sweet and big sound!

There's been a number of variants of the "Everly/J-180" over the years; here's hoping the frets don't fall out of this one. I'm glad that you resolved the Dove and found your 'Little Suzie'!!

Best,

Fred

Re the J-185 body shape, it's my overall favorite in comfort & playability when matched with the 24.75" scale. It was the culmination of a long-standing dream when I finally did get mine in 2012, and it's not going anywhere!

Jinder, what surprises me about your J-180 is how right the pickguards look when combined with the red finish. Imho, it's gotta be the most appealing combination ever with those double mustache pickgurds!

Archived