Gibson Brands Forums

Lady D'arbanville

JuanCarlosVejar

Yeah. I agree jinder

Not his best song by a long chalk

Indeed, my favourite Cat mode is when he’s concise and economical philosophical form, stuff like The Wind and Into White...very few folks have done that sort of thing better.

This is my favourite Cat Stevens song/video/guitar. I love the song because it is in an altered tuning that is a TON of fun to play, because it has a lovely tune that is relatively easy to sing and because I love the story it tells by subtle shifting of the verses using future hope and past regret. I love the video because it is one of the rare films from the period that focusses on what the guitar player is doing (both of them). So many films from that era felt it necessary to zoom in and out and pan back and forth and always focus on the musician who ISN'T playing the solo at the moment. Grrrr. And finally, I love the guitar because it is a blonde J200 (like one I used to know). And I am totally stoked that Yusef is now playing a blonde J200 again.

In watching again, I just noticed that his J200 has an inlaid moustache bridge. What year would that make that J200? 1968? Perhaps Cat didn't give his blonde J200 away since I notice him playing recently with a J200 with the same inlays. Hmmm.

If I Laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqVtmIVD9xc

This is my favourite Cat Stevens song/video/guitar. I love the song because it is in an altered tuning that is a TON of fun to play, because it has a lovely tune that is relatively easy to sing and because I love the story it tells by subtle shifting of the verses using future hope and past regret. I love the video because it is one of the rare films from the period that focusses on what the guitar player is doing (both of them). So many films from that era felt it necessary to zoom in and out and pan back and forth and always focus on the musician who ISN'T playing the solo at the moment. Grrrr. And finally, I love the guitar because it is a blonde J200 (like one I used to know). And I am totally stoked that Yusef is now playing a blonde J200 again.

In watching again, I just noticed that his J200 has an inlaid moustache bridge. What year would that make that J200? 1968? Perhaps Cat didn't give his blonde J200 away since I notice him playing recently with a J200 with the same inlays. Hmmm.

Doug,

If I laugh is also a beautiful song.Thanks for sharing!

I can't tell you anything about his vintage blonde 200.

But I can tell you that the newer one with the closed bridge he played in the first few years of his comeback wasn't the same guitar ,It was actually one of a pair of Pete Townshend signature models loaned out to him by Pete Townshend [ his tech at the time was also tech for the who/pt since the 70's ]

Since that time he has amassed many Gibson Montana creations which include but are not limited to:

J 200 cutaways

J 200 standards

Blonde Sj 200 TV

L 00

J 200 vintage (he used this one for South Africa/Aus/NZ tour last year)

A few years back his son presented him with a vintage Everly Bros (which is believed to be his original EB model):

JC

Doug,

If I laugh is also a beautiful song.Thanks for sharing!

I can't tell you anything about his vintage blonde 200.

But I can tell you that the newer one with the closed bridge he played in the first few years of his comeback wasn't the same guitar ,It was actually one of a pair of Pete Townshend signature models loaned out to him by Pete Townshend [ his tech at the time was also tech for the who/pt since the 70's ]

Since that time he has amassed many Gibson Montana creations which include but are not limited to:

J 200 cutaways

J 200 standards

Blonde Sj 200 TV

L 00

J 200 vintage (he used this one for South Africa/Aus/NZ tour last year)

A few years back his son presented him with a vintage Everly Bros (which is believed to be his original EB model):

JC

Thanks, JC for the cool information. Yes, I figured the new closed bridge version wasn't the same instrument when I saw the tuners. They could have been replacements I suppose, but I had heard a story of him giving up his instruments when he converted and left the business in the late 70's.

Amazing performance, his voice is like oak. I’ve always found that song rather disturbing, given the topic...a classic. That adj bridge Everly really works for his rhythm style!

I think I read somewhere that the song was written about a real person, and she was still alive at the time. That's just plain weird. Fantastic song writer though.

Ian

Thanks, JC for the cool information. Yes, I figured the new closed bridge version wasn't the same instrument when I saw the tuners. They could have been replacements I suppose, but I had heard a story of him giving up his instruments when he converted and left the business in the late 70's.

Doug,

Yes he auctioned all of them for charity ... He stopped playing guitar for 25 years ...Until one holiday in Dubai:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DCZTOmIGdsc

JC

Doug,

Yes he auctioned all of them for charity ... He stopped playing guitar for 25 years ...Until one holiday in Dubai:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DCZTOmIGdsc

JC

I started playing the guitar mostly because of Cat Stevens. I received my first REAL guitar when I was 14 in 1970 and listened to the new album "Tea For The Tillerman" over and over while learning to play chords. By the summer of 1971 I was playing full Cat Stevens songs like "Longer Boats" and "Wild World" and learning to play my first fingerstyle song "Where Do The Children Play?"

I belonged to an online website group CatStevens.com back before Yusuf started playing and performing again and was thrilled when he finally came out of retirement and picked up that J200 once again. And yes, his voice is AS good as it was when I first heard it 48 years ago.

A true light that went through and got lost in a long black hole 'thinking' it shon stronger while bein' there.

Wonder if Y.I. still works toward the international Kalifat. Probably yes.

If anyone's looking for quality Cat Stevens guitar tabs, I've put up a website just for that purpose alone: https://catstevensgu....wordpress.com/.

A very useful site - it taught me Oh Very Young (including the strange instrumental) last summer.

Thanks a lot ^

A true light that went through and got lost in a long black hole 'thinking' it shon stronger while bein' there.

Wonder if Y.I. still works toward the international Kalifat. Probably yes.

Yusuf's public image has never fully recovered (in the States) from—among other missteps here and there as a freshman Muslim and later on—his Salman Rushdie jests made in such a very bad taste and British black humor on Australian ABC's Geoffrey Robertson's Hypotheticals that they were taken quite literally as an earnest statement some time after (after all the context and the format of the show was lost on the viewer) and even to this date. Personally, I think, and his artistic and humanitarian work speaks for itself, it's obvious this guy couldn't even harm a fly—or he would die forever trying.

Yusuf's public image has never fully recovered (in the States) from—among other missteps here and there as a freshman Muslim and later on—his Salman Rushdie jests made in such a very bad taste and British black humor on Australian ABC's Geoffrey Robertson's Hypotheticals that they were taken quite literally as an earnest statement some time after (after all the context and the format of the show was lost on the viewer) and even to this date. Personally, I think, and his artistic work speaks for itself, it's obvious this guy couldn't even harm a fly—or he would die forever trying.

Harms already done. You can tell the hammer-man to smash the fly - don't have to do it yourself.

In my view there are no reasons whatsoever to regard Y.I.'s opinions about S.R. and other stuff as jokes and jest.

It's all there on the web to see and will remain there forever. Too sad to set up here, , , frankly too grim.

I like the man a lot, but he made a severely wrong move driving into heavy mud (making a David Crosby look like a kid who chew gum in the class) and now must spent the rest of his days on this planet cleaning clothes.

That said, I can hear and still dig the music. Even went out and bought the talked about An Other Cup record, , , which is ok, but nothing like the old days.

Harms already done. You can tell the hammer-man to smash the fly - don't have to do it yourself.

In my view there are no reasons whatsoever to regard Y.I.'s opinions about S.R. and other stuff as jokes and jest.

It's all there on the web to see and will remain there forever. Too sad to set up here, , , frankly too grim.

I like the man a lot, but he made a severely wrong move driving into heavy mud (making a David Crosby look like a kid who chew gum in the class) and now must spent the rest of his days on this planet cleaning clothes.

That said, I can hear and still dig the music. Even went out and bought the talked about An Other Cup record, , , which is ok, but nothing like the old days.

There is nothing like the zeal of a new convert, whatever the religion. They often feel obliged to reject their former selves and prove their worth by becoming holier than anyone else, often embracing the worst aspects of their newly-found faith.

There is nothing like the zeal of a new convert, whatever the religion. They often feel obliged to reject their former selves and prove their worth by becoming holier than anyone else, often embracing the worst aspects of their newly-found faith.

Right - but Y.I. had been a convert for over 10 years when the horrendous viewpoints were aired.

And as said, the late-80's tv-program in Q is no Disney-film.

If you watch full video he never actually supported anything against S.R

The media just manipulated and basically corned him into responding a question which he did not feel comfortable answering:

Notice how before it begins the voice says since it's a hypothetical scenario "they can answer freely"

Then Yusuf's first response to the question is "It would depend on my mood, I may want to concentrate more on my meal "

The "host" then forces yet another question upon him and he wanted Yusuf to give a sketchy answer , they needed controversy, they needed violence and something that would make a headline.Once he answered it no longer mattered that everything was just "hypothetical" and "free speech".

They could have stopped after he said "I'd rather concentrate on my meal" but chose not to ...

The media manipulated the story and made him look bad .

He never did anything wrong ... He was the one wronged massively.

JC

Archived