Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone have a J50 or SJ Handy?

thegreatgumbino

I ordered two J50/SJ batwing pickguards to replace mine. I received them today, but I'm not sure I'm ok with the size or the way they sit on the guitar. Unfortunately, I do not have my J50 here to verify the size against as I dropped it off Saturday for a setup. My SCSJ has a teardrop, so it won't work for comparison either. I printed out the J-200 and J-185 templates from LMII.com (I did not order them from LMII) to compare.

nRqLnWy.jpg

Here are some comparison pics of the new guards laying agains the LMII templates (which have been verified for scale per their directions).

z0AnHc3.jpg

zvj8ITM.jpg

This picture shows the new guard laying over the top of the SCSJ teardrop. Note how the flat portion above the soundhole is at a different angle where it contacts the fretboard, which pulls the guard away from the strings under beneath the soundhole.

H4pTLaO.jpg

This is the LMII J-200 template sitting on top of the SCSJ teardrop.

mpAmGK1.jpg

This is the new pickguard sitting on top of the LMII J-200 template on the SCSJ.

Rjf4ju5.jpg

Can someone with a J50 or SJ handy please print out this LMII J-200 template and see if it's the same size/footprint as yours?

http://www.lmii.com/images/stories/GalesPics/PGTOR3_J-200.pdf

I could do that, but it would be somewhat meaningless. What I've discovered is that the shape of the J-50 pickguard is a bit of a moving target. If you look at J-50s over the years, the pickguard shape has received a number of subtle changes.

This is true even as recently as in the last few years. My J-50 is a 2015 Custom Shop version. In either 2016 or 2017, another CS version, this time in a VOS finish, was released. The pickguards for these two versions are slightly different.

It's a lot harder to get an exact match with a batwing pickguard because the fretboard contact point locks you into a certain angle - and consider that fretboards are not all going to be identical, so therein lies another variable.

Also wanted to mention that Terrapin Guitars has a nice template you can print off for comparison purposes. Perhapes it's shape might be a better overall match.

The batwings are a little tricky to fit to the guitar. Remember that the sides of the neck are not parallel, for starters. Check to see if the two "straight" edges line up exactly with each other, are parallel to each other, or are at a very light angle relative to each other.

It's not unusual to need to do a bit of work to the guard before installing it.

In the ideal world, the rosette radius of the guard would probably line up exactly with the outside edge of the inner rosette, or very close to it. It would probably lie flush with the side of the neck, which means that "straight" edge would not line up exactly with the straight edge just forward of the bridge.

If that's your J-50 hanging on the wall, the soundhole and rosette look odd to me. It looks like someone has enlarged the soundhole by cutting it back to the inner edge of the rosette.

In the ideal world, the rosette radius of the guard would line up exactly with the outside edge of the inner rosette, or very close to it.

My 2008 J-50 obviously did not come from the "ideal world" ;) This is the original pick guard and it partially covers the rosette and looks like the radius isn't quite right either. I agree, the picture of the J-50 on the wall looks weird, but maybe it's just the lighting?

Also a bit strange to print pick guard layouts from a company when you bought yours from another company. You really don't know if those pictures even match the actual item from LMII.com.

j50-2008.jpg

I could do that, but it would be somewhat meaningless. What I've discovered is that the shape of the J-50 pickguard is a bit of a moving target. If you look at J-50s over the years, the pickguard shape has received a number of subtle changes.

This is true even as recently as in the last few years. My J-50 is a 2015 Custom Shop version. In either 2016 or 2017, another CS version, this time in a VOS finish, was released. The pickguards for these two versions are slightly different.

It's a lot harder to get an exact match with a batwing pickguard because the fretboard contact point locks you into a certain angle - and consider that fretboards are not all going to be identical, so therein lies another variable.

Also wanted to mention that Terrapin Guitars has a nice template you can print off for comparison purposes. Perhapes it's shape might be a better overall match.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that the shape has evolved. That makes it difficult.

The batwings are a little tricky to fit to the guitar. Remember that the sides of the neck are not parallel, for starters. Check to see if the two "straight" edges line up exactly with each other, are parallel to each other, or are at a very light angle relative to each other.

It's not unusual to need to do a bit of work to the guard before installing it.

In the ideal world, the rosette radius of the guard would probably line up exactly with the outside edge of the inner rosette, or very close to it. It would probably lie flush with the side of the neck, which means that "straight" edge would not line up exactly with the straight edge just forward of the bridge.

If that's your J-50 hanging on the wall, the soundhole and rosette look odd to me. It looks like someone has enlarged the soundhole by cutting it back to the inner edge of the rosette.

It is my J-50. It's a 2001 I bought used from a dealer in NY based upon pictures. At the time my SCSJ was back at the mothership having warranty work done, so I was looking for a cheap guitar to play while I was without and this one popped up. It was a steal. The rosette has been painted over. Why? I have no idea. The guitar was in darn near perfect condition everywhere else. I was hoping it was sharpie, but alas it is not. I asked about having it refinished, but honestly the guitar sounds so good I don't even care.

My 2008 J-50 obviously did not come from the "ideal world" ;) This is the original pick guard and it partially covers the rosette and looks like the radius isn't quite right either. I agree, the picture of the J-50 on the wall looks weird, but maybe it's just the lighting?

Also a bit strange to print pick guard layouts from a company when you bought yours from another company. You really don't know if those pictures even match the actual item from LMII.com.

j50-2008.jpg

I printed the pickguard from LMII because I was going to purchase one from them originally, but they were out when I was ready to pull the trigger. Knowing Sal was happy with his Holter pick guards (Taylor), I purchased these two from him. Taylor has a '58 J-45 with batwing (seen below). Seeing his, I assumed it would be that shape, which is very similar to the LMII pattern. Note the thicker shape at the bottom of the pickguard. However, I didn't know there were differing shapes.

2PYlTKJ.jpg

Not so easy. Not so fast.

This is my 2012 J50, with the Terrapin J50 Template cut out and placed on top.

http://www.terraping...df4/J45-J50.pdf

iLYegBMh.jpg

I think you need to trace out what you like, and I recommend contacting Taylor Mullins at Holter Pickguards.

I also agree with Nick. That soundhole is enlarged.

Thanks, Sal. See above about the J50 sound hole issue. As mentioned, I purchased these two guards from Taylor.

Here's a pic of the Terrapin template sitting on top of the LMII template.

UzTADh2.jpg

Here's a pic of the Terrapin pattern sitting on top of the Holter guard. It's pretty much a perfect match. Had I seen the Terrapin pattern before ordering, I would have clarified with Taylor.

PnYLdaC.jpg

Lesson learned. Sketch the pattern you want and send it to whomever is making it. I will say Taylor's guards are beautiful!

I have templates (tracings) of '57, '61, '63, '65, & '67 J50 or J45 if needed. The two early '60s are identical and the later '60s are but for a hair. I am not sure if you've got the problem solved but you are welcome to any or all. As has been said the batwing shape is a moving target. I agree the sketch is the way to go.

I have templates (tracings) of '57, '61, '63, '65, & '67 J50 or J45 if needed. The two early '60s are identical and the later '60s are but for a hair. I am not sure if you've got the problem solved but you are welcome to any or all. As has been said the batwing shape is a moving target. I agree the sketch is the way to go.

That would be excellent, thank you. PM sent with contact info.

Archived