Gibson Brands Forums

Strap button vs headstock strap

uncle fester

Hi all - I attach my guitar strap via a strap wrapped around the headstock at the nut. This causes some fret buzz in the upper frets when I'm playing. Thinking about it after the fact, this makes sense. I was using the strap around the headstock to avoid modifying the guitar (even just for a strap button), but now I'm concerned I'm actually creating bigger problems down the road.

My question, do you all think I am introducing enough stress to the neck joint where it could likely cause issues down the road? Thank you all again for any input.

Rgds - billroy

No harm either way!

I have strap buttons because they are easier, but thats the only reason. When I ordered a custom Martin last year, I debated putting a strap button on my baby creation, but ended up doing it. SO I understand the trepidation. Your guitar can take it either way for longer than you can live.

There are a few neat tools if you go the headstock route...

These are cheap and great: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/neotech-acoustic-guitar-and-banjo-adaptor-loop/469805000000000

These are cool too. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AQRS--daddario-planet-waves-dgs15-acoustic-quick-release-system

Hi All - with respect to the fret buzz, I am guessing - because I am tying the strap off at the nut, that it is causing the neck to bend ever so slightly giving me some fret buzz. It's not there when I don't use the strap, so was the first thing I jumped to, but I could be wrong.

So I guess my first question was answered, not to worry about the neck joint, but now my second question is should attaching the strap to the headstock be causing fret buzz, or do I have something else going on? I'll take input, but guess I got to investigate further as well.

Rgds - billroy

I had not seen the banjo ones, would've tried that first if i had, the ones with the plastic clip concerned me as a potential point of failure. I ended up going with the attached . Looks cool, can swap it around to put the logo on the back if that's a concern, and works as advertised.

Taking a line from Sal reply: "These are cool too. https://www.sweetwat...-release-system"

This is the same one I use on my J-15 for the very reason, I did not wish to alter it from stock. There is no way this will induce fret buzz when installed under the strings & behind the Nut.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AQRS--daddario-planet-waves-dgs15-acoustic-quick-release-system $6.99 + free shipping.

A strap going to the headstock would freak me out.

I feel the same. I always use a strap button at the heel, have done forever. I don’t like the idea of the lateral tension on the neck from a headstock strap loop, although I’ve never seen or heard of any harm coming to a guitar that way...

I spent an hour with my new j15 looking for a buzz that happens low E third fret

Turned out it was my gas stove rattling at that note !

Couldn’t decide if I was annoyed or pleased

That would have drove me nuts..

was at a co-worker place who plays, for a jam. He had a new Fender tweed which seems had defective speakers, Amp was under warranty, they sent him a new set of speakers, installed them did the same thing. tells me, it "Makes a 'whumpping' sound, no matter what I do. I don't get it..."

He played a few chords and I heard it immediately, pointed to his ceiling. "is that always on?" - "yea, why.."

he shut it off, and the amp was FIXED!!!! He said he didn't know weather to hug me or jump off his roof!

Hi all - I attach my guitar strap via a strap wrapped around the headstock at the nut. This causes some fret buzz in the upper frets when I'm playing. Thinking about it after the fact, this makes sense. I was using the strap around the headstock to avoid modifying the guitar (even just for a strap button), but now I'm concerned I'm actually creating bigger problems down the road.

My question, do you all think I am introducing enough stress to the neck joint where it could likely cause issues down the road? Thank you all again for any input.

Rgds - billroy

Some of my guitars have the strap attached at the neck heel, some at the neck. When I attach the strap to the neck, I attach it at the headstock underneath the strings between the 1st and 2nd and 6th and 5th string rather than behind the nut...so it gives me a little more hand space at the first fret.

It’s doubtful a strap causes any undue stress if attached at the headstock. Players have been doing it since way back (per photos going back to the 20s, 30s).

Regarding it possibly causing any fret buzz by the added weight of the guitar hanging on the body, I would think that is highly unlikely. If anything it would be a slight downward pressure on the neck, not a horizontal pressure.

I suppose it’s possible a strap loop under the strings at the neck could in a rare positioning situation buzz against any of the tuners on the headstock or against the neck itself, but that would be readily evident and easily curtailed by adjusting the position of the strap loop around the headstock or how/where it is tied around the headstock. And, not very likely a problem.

If there is fret buzzing it is likely a simply solution of slightly tightening the truss rod if the buzz is by the nut or slightly raising the saddle with a shim or a new saddle if by the 12th fret or higher.

Just my two cents.

Question Mark

Some of my guitars have the strap attached at the neck heel, some at the neck. When I attach the strap to the neck, I attach it at the headstock underneath the strings between the 1st and 2nd and 6th and 5th string rather than behind the nut...so it gives me a little more hand space at the first fret.

It's doubtful a strap causes any undue stress if attached at the headstock. Players have been doing it since way back (per photos going back to the 20s, 30s).

Regarding it possibly causing any fret buzz by the added weight of the guitar hanging on the body, I would think that is highly unlikely. If anything it would be a slight downward pressure on the neck, not a horizontal pressure.

I suppose it's possible a strap loop under the strings at the neck could in a rare positioning situation buzz against any of the tuners on the headstock or against the neck itself, but that would be readily evident and easily curtailed by adjusting the position of the strap loop around the headstock or how/where it is tied around the headstock. And, not very likely a problem.

If there is fret buzzing it is likely a simply solution of slightly tightening the truss rod if the buzz is by the nut or slightly raising the saddle with a shim or a new saddle if by the 12th fret or higher.

Just my two cents.

Question Mark

?Mark - apparently there was no fret buzz. It was GAS !

No , that was me , not the OP

And I really wouldn't be turning any truss rods yet

If it doesn't buzz without the strap and buzzes with it on then it's the strap doing something weird

I need to find my old 3rd Grade teacher - apparently I need some remedial help on Reading Comprehension.

I think you do what works best for your style/technique. Almost all of my Gibson straps are attached at the headstock. I'm sitting down almost all the time I'm at a gig and the strap is just there as a precaution to keep the guitar from slipping. Very little, if any pull on the strap. I guess if one is standing it kind of depends on how they hold the guitar in regards to pressure and stress on the neck. Seems the vast majority of big acts are standing-up and many of them play the same guitar/s for years, so I imagine a guitar handles anything but extreme pressure on the neck.

Going back and investigating, I think it was the way the moon was affecting the gravitational pull in the room... checked it in another room and no more buzz. Really though - it's not there now, so it was either my imagination, something I was doing, or something you see when you look up - apologies for the tangent.

•  
  • Anyways - my first question was concern around stress on the neck - it sounds like that is a non issue as well.
  • My next question, now that I'm disillusioned with the headstock strap - any recommendations on location for a strap button, (i.e. dead center in the heel, a little to the top, a little to the bottom?) and is this something you would trust to any general luthier, or regardless of the fix, would you go to someone confirmed capable?

Thank you all again - rgds - billroy

Going back and investigating, I think it was the way the moon was affecting the gravitational pull in the room... checked it in another room and no more buzz. Really though - it's not there now, so it was either my imagination, something I was doing, or something you see when you look up - apologies for the tangent.

•  
  • Anyways - my first question was concern around stress on the neck - it sounds like that is a non issue as well.
  • My next question, now that I'm disillusioned with the headstock strap - any recommendations on location for a strap button, (i.e. dead center in the heel, a little to the top, a little to the bottom?) and is this something you would trust to any general luthier, or regardless of the fix, would you go to someone confirmed capable?

Thank you all again - rgds - billroy

I like it here..

31277659_10209342289913753_3713341864047487487_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5389d74301b86893e04749f72dd4e032&oe=5B534F8C

The pin ought to be positioned on the place on the side of the heal that is about at the middle point of the body.

some use the heel bottom, but I don't really like that, and if the guitar case fit is real snug, that pin might lift the guitar up enough that when it's in the case, the neck is not resting on the neck support.

any luthier will do this for cheap money (or should.. ) 20 bucks??

But if you don't mind it.. It's easy to do. Get a a small drill bit, and then the one that matches the inside of the screw (you should see the threads from behind the drill)

mark both drill bits to the length of the screw, when it's seated in the strap pin (a thin pc. of masking tape will do)

first drill the "small" hole the proper depth, then drill the final large hole. Be mindful of the "angel" when you are drilling, just as slight angle will do, so the pin seats flat when it's snugged down.

Using the smaller bit first creates a very small pilot hole, and I find the smaller bit is less prone to move/shift when the drill starts to rotate.

Test all the drill holes on a scrap pc of wood to be sure of your final size

Archived