Gibson Brands Forums

Need help dating this guitar!

tedgotsoul

I'm really hoping this amazing forum can help me out!

Please see pictures attached. There is not a serial number anywhere on or in the guitar. All I know is that it was purchased in the 80s. Not sure if it was purchased new, or used. Also wondering if it's a fake since it has the logo, but not the "Gibson" name on it...

Thanks!

post-91635-003825000 1524603922_thumb.jpg

post-91635-042385600 1524603931_thumb.jpg

post-91635-039566900 1524603942_thumb.jpg

You need help dating that old guitar?

Well, this isn't Ann Landers, but I do have some experience in these matters.

First, be polite and respectful.

Young guitars will generally be willing to put up with a lot of male bravado and guff, but a mature guitar expects just a bit more gentility and grace from a gentleman, no matter how much younger you are.

Next, patience above all.

Let her call the shots, and if and when she is ready for intimate relations, she'll let you know.

Don't rush it, I guess that's what I am saying.

Out on the town, do the stately, old-fashioned things.

Hold the door open for her, compliment her strap and pearls, and let her guide the conversation.

In the bedroom, take it slow and easy.

A grown instrument knows what she wants, and she'll let you know what gives her the most joy.

But no 'wham-bam, thank you ma'am' antics. Make sure she gets hers before you give into the temptation to finish early.

The pleasure that you give her will surely return to you in spades.

Oh, well hell.

I just put on my reading glasses.

You are talking about determining the birth-date of an older mystery guitar, not literally 'dating' the darned thing.

Never mind.

:unsure: :mellow: [crying]

Hi, Ted, and welcome to the forum.

Nice guitar!

It reminds me of a Greco from the 70s. Are you sure the logo hasn't been filled or painted over?

Agreed it's most likely something out of either the FujiGen / Matsumoku factories sometime in the '70s - although it's very unusual not to have some sort of logo on the p'head.

These were, in the main, rather good guitars based, obviously, on some of the US favourites and have a bit of a following in their own right.

Without any other details whatsoever we can't really say much more.

Pip.

I downloaded the 1st.pic and lightened it up.....someone blanked out the maker's name...

I did think it looked like it had been photoshopped in the original image but having now downloaded and inspected it there still any trace of a name.

Perhaps the OP can clarify matters for us?

Pip.

I did think it looked like it had been photoshopped in the original image but having now downloaded and inspected it there still any trace of a name.

no even at its lightest you cannot see any name - headstock shape is definitely not Gibson.

I get the feeling the OP knows well what it is....... [sneaky]

you sir, win the internet!

You need help dating that old guitar?

Well, this isn't Ann Landers, but I do have some experience in these matters.

First, be polite and respectful.

Young guitars will generally be willing to put up with a lot of male bravado and guff, but a mature guitar expects just a bit more gentility and grace from a gentleman, no matter how much younger you are.

Next, patience above all.

Let her call the shots, and if and when she is ready for intimate relations, she'll let you know.

Don't rush it, I guess that's what I am saying.

Out on the town, do the stately, old-fashioned things.

Hold the door open for her, compliment her strap and pearls, and let her guide the conversation.

In the bedroom, take it slow and easy.

A grown instrument knows what she wants, and she'll let you know what gives her the most joy.

But no 'wham-bam, thank you ma'am' antics. Make sure she gets hers before you give into the temptation to finish early.

The pleasure that you give her will surely return to you in spades.

Oh, well hell.

I just put on my reading glasses.

You are talking about determining the birth-date of an older mystery guitar, not literally 'dating' the darned thing.

Never mind.

:unsure: :mellow: [crying]

Haha, I'm not trying to sell it. I have a friend/guitar student that I'm trying to help out. His father purchased this guitar for him in the 80s and it's since then, basically been in and out of storage. I do think it is a Fujigen 175 after some research help from Reverb! Now I'm trying to get an actual year on it. I really do appreciate you all helping me out. Definitely would appreciate any good info/links on Fujigen if you got it.

I have a Gibby 335 and can tell this ain't a Gibby just from holding it, but it is an awesome guitar. I can tell that even knowing it needs new frets. I hope he sells it to me! But sounds like they can be pricey... I'm more into the $300 Kay guitars with my budget, haha! I did take those pictures when he came by with the guitar and definitely didn't notice any work on the headstock. But, now I would look twice as hard! Anywhere else I should look for clues?

Chill out on the photoshop... I'm not trying to sell this to your little sister, I'm just looking for info.

Archived