Gibson Brands Forums

Mr Crump

BluesKing777

A quick track playing some 30s style raggy blues in the style of Frank Stokes and others - on my brand new Waterloo WL-14x.

Plays great straight out of the box! (For those that haven't heard of the guitar, it is Bill Collings version of a Kalamazoo KG-14.)

Listen to this while you try some soft shoe or tapping, thanks... :rolleyes:

LP4fpDph.jpg

BluesKing777.

Thanks Billroy!

Hardly left my sight since I got it! Absolutely great blues guitar! And other stuff...

I want a pickup put in but don’t want to let go of it.

Re your other thread about rebuilds, Billroy...would I have gone through all that for my 37 L-0 if these Waterloos were around then? Doubt it. I always wanted the made famous by Robert Johnson Kalamazoo KG-14 and this puppy will do it! And it plays in tune and doesn’t hurt the fingers like that one might have.... <_<

Back to blues plunking...

BluesKing777.

Thanks Fsharp and MP!

I am still contemplating which pickup I will buy/install so I can plug in - if I get a K&K Mini, it will work well with my Tonedexter preamp...as will a Fishman passive undersaddle. I would also like to try the new Fishman with mic attached....hmmm..... a lot of stuff inside the guitar with the new Fishman though...

BluesKing777.

Cool!I really like those black guitars with the white guards.You have 2? You lucky picker.

Thanks FB!

I am a lucky picker!

But an another luckier picker got the real 1932 Gibson L-00 in tuxedo finish:

D5di4yBh.jpg

So I have these 2 now, for less that the real one - both very different guitars with the tux look and weighing in at about 3lbs each, plus the orange thing in the picture which is all that remains of the dog toy:

7itaDSbh.jpg

BluesKing777.

The K & K Pure Mini is really a sweet choice. For a passive pickup it has a really strong signal. I haven't used it with a DI box yet, but I imagine it kicks butt. [thumbup]

Thanks MP!

Yes, I am leaning towards the K&K Mini - it is nice direct, but I prefer them through my Tonedexter preamp.

At the back of my head is the pickup system in my Maton 00 - the AP5-Pro system is just sensational with the dual source undersaddle plus mic and great preamp controls - all pretty heavy plus a few large holes needed in the guitar....whereas the new Fishman Blend has the undersaddle and mic with stick on soundhole controls like the Baggs Anthem ( another I would like to try....)

But this guitar weighs 2 feathers! And the K&K is the lightest and least drilling... and it would be a crying shame to weigh the guitar down.

Decisions, decisions.... [mellow]

Guitar is very easy to mic - no rumblng dreadnaught bass here!

BluesKing777.

Ok BK - I'm going to weigh in here leaning on all the information I've taken in over the past half year or so... I believe the K&K (mini?) is the way to go... especially because you have the tone dexter. it's the lightest, least modification to the guitar, and you have the ability to finagle the output to get the sound you want. If you didn't have the tone dexter, it might be a different discussion.

Regardless, tough problem to have, and I hope you're able to overcome your obstacles ; ) PS: for your dog toy I recommend getting a kong (big rubber thing with a hole in the middle) and fill it with peanut butter, guaranteed to please, and I've yet to see a dog totally destroy one.

Congrats on the Waterloo BK. Those have me seriosly interested. Impeccable Collings workmanship in the ones I have seen. Were you at all tempted by the L? It would seem to be a good fit for your style of picking (beautifully displayed here BTW) and a closer match to the 'zoos of old.

Enjoy and g'luck with the pickup conundrum!

Ok BK - I'm going to weigh in here leaning on all the information I've taken in over the past half year or so... I believe the K&K (mini?) is the way to go... especially because you have the tone dexter. it's the lightest, least modification to the guitar, and you have the ability to finagle the output to get the sound you want. If you didn't have the tone dexter, it might be a different discussion.

Regardless, tough problem to have, and I hope you're able to overcome your obstacles ; ) PS: for your dog toy I recommend getting a kong (big rubber thing with a hole in the middle) and fill it with peanut butter, guaranteed to please, and I've yet to see a dog totally destroy one.

Peanut butter grated carrots cheese and little treats

Yes, she has the Kong toy....lying out in the bomb crater she has dug with her other dog toys. The Dogs Home said she loved ‘soft toys’ but they didn’t say she would totally shred them...and my garden..and my house! They also didn’t say she was a ‘dewdropper’ (English nickname ? for a weirdo that steals underwear from the clothes line or dirty wash basket!). Plain old naughty puppy! And the other week, we started a new game where she steals my football team drink can holder and I chase her all over the house to get it back, but I tricked her the 20th time and gave her my Wild Turkey drink holder....her new most prized...and she growled at the Better Half for moving it off the couch!

Now, Alias....the serious business of choosing the guitar with L or X.....(for those thst wonder, the guitars come in X braced or ladder braced models). I have to say I agonised, Alias, and went for the X because.......they had one! ( a miracle in this country). I have played the L previously when the guitar fund was bust and someone bought it....that was 3 years ago and the last L they imported! But I am very happy with the X and it does everything I want....but for slide, I have my eye on that Waterloo Stella ladder! [biggrin] (I have my 52 LG1 ladder braced which is fab for slide!)

Apart from sounds, the logistics are fabulous for my playing - 1 3/4” nut and the wonderful for fingerpicking 2 3/8” bridge space and the large V! Collings have nailed it while other companies are going skinny like the 60s.

I have some guitars gathering dust that claimed to do what the ‘Loo does and they will be traded. It takes a while to figure that out in a leisurely manner... [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Yes, she has the Kong toy....lying out in the bomb crater she has dug with her other dog toys. The Dogs Home said she loved ‘soft toys’ but they didn’t say she would totally shred them...and my garden..and my house! They also didn’t say she was a ‘dewdropper’ (English nickname ? for a weirdo that steals underwear from the clothes line or dirty wash basket!). Plain old naughty puppy! And the other week, we started a new game where she steals my football team drink can holder and I chase her all over the house to get it back, but I tricked her the 20th time and gave her my Wild Turkey drink holder....her new most prized...and she growled at the Better Half for moving it off the couch!

BluesKing777.

Hmmm...

Nothing to do with guitars, but here is the Wild Turkey holder, dog's prized possession number 2, alongside 'Orange Chew' which is the fourth Chew....the others, while claimed to be indestructable by the maker...are shredded and gone...:

jXF7JmZh.jpg

Because, sometime in the night my team drink holder got stolen...I forgot to put it up high.

And after searching everywhere this morning, I found it found outside....

Chalk up a win to the dog?

ij0Ho70h.jpg

BluesKing777.

Another silly update - new guitar has a nice new set of Elixir PB 12s! Sound great. [thumbup] The others had gone a bit 'uneven' probably from travelling from Austin Texas to Australia to sit in a box for a while and then, who knows what...til I got it!

Now the Elixir strings have a little story... a music shop has opened a branch between my Better Half's work and her train station, so for the first time ever I asked someone else to get strings for me...mainly because I am busy working and ALSO didn't want to wait for a delivery madman...

So the Elixirs are really expensive here and the shop I asked her to drop in on advertises them at FULL RETAIL AUSTRALIAN PRICE inc tax and wow, it is a little shock but also a con to catch online buyers who can't get in to the shop and negotiate a bit. So I mentioned this to the Boss and she managed to get 3 dollars off a set...you're kidding, I get them for half price if I go in there.

Luck these strings sound great - they are the most expensive ones I have ever owned...but I had them for the weekend, didn't have to go there, and didn't wait for a delivery....so.... [unsure]

But the shop should be ashamed!

https://www.cranbournemusic.com.au/product/elixir-12-53-custom-light-acoustic-phosphor-bronze-with-nanoweb-coating/

BluesKing777.

Not that far away from what they are here in U.K. and Ireland

They are great strings but they are so overpriced it’s ridiculous

I play bare fingered, no picks, so they last until I am sick of them, unless there is a fault, which is why I like them...as I have a guitar or two!

I just thought the Better Half would walk in, stun them with her looks and voice and get the strings cheaper than the perennial sucker...me,

I am just saying the online thing is the home of all kinds of roguery....this shop I go to has them listed online for something like $49.99 but if I go there I get a few packets for $20 each. (Except that place is the Devil’s and has cost me a bundle and I am keeping away!)

BluesKing777.

I looked up the elixirs on-line at Sam Ash (they have local stores and its the same price in the store). They go for anywhere from $12.00 to $15.00 based on which set you are buying. $15 US is $19.90AUS so $20 isn't a bad price at all. Even here they are certainly on the higher end of string costs.

Archived