Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45 Vintage with Custom Shop label?

Mogagibson

Don't quote me on this, but I "think" on a custom model there is more actual human hands work on the guitar, the neck is set differently, and some of the processes from many years ago are still used to assemble the guitar. All in an effort to make a guitar just the way they used to before technology took over the world. Anyway, that's what I've heard. Don't know if any of the processes make a better guitar, but guitars are very personal instruments and many of us like that link to the past........ I'm sure there are some folks in here who know the exact differences.

Years back I asked Jeremy Fuller what is the actual difference between the 1964 J-45 Custom Shop Reissue that he sold me back circa 2008/9 vs the 1960s Icon J-45 model being sold at the same time. He responded that the CS Reissue had lighter braces that mirrored the original, had a finish on it that accurately mirrored the original, and that it had a FON on the neck heel inside the guitar, also mirroring original. And, of course mine has the CS logo on the back of the neck.

I don’t know if the CS model you are referencing has the same, but if nothing else it gives a flavor of potential differences.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Never been to Bozeman - so I'll defer to those who have. But it is my understanding there is no 'place' or 'location' or 'room' where Custom Shop guitars are made.

And, I think the CS designation has less to do with the guitar being built to closely copy a prior classic - than it is to identify a guitar that is not one of the normal production models.

For example - using different woods. Sometimes, it seems somewhat subjective which get the designation, based on how far they stray from the normal production models.

Often they are designated as such when they are 'limited runs' of maybe 50 or so ordered by a 5 Star Dealer.

I think the CS designation has less to do with the guitar being built to closely copy a prior classic - than it is to identify a guitar that is not one of the normal production models.

For example - using different woods. Sometimes, it seems somewhat subjective which get the designation, based on how far they stray from the normal production models.

Often they are designated as such when they are 'limited runs' of maybe 50 or so ordered by a 5 Star Dealer.

Yup, I'd guess that this is closer to the truth these days.

My first year 2014 J-15 has a serial number date of 1/2/14, so it's one of the earliest ones produced. It has a CS logo on the neck, but a typical white inner label. Don't know what might be different to make it warrant the CS designation, but it must be a pretty minor tweak.

My 2015 J-50 also has the CS logo and an orange CS label. It looks like your basic J-50, but probably came from a limited run.

So bottom line, it doesn't take much to be called a Custom Shop model.

Archived