Gibson Brands Forums

Del Rey -- Really Odd Question

bksimon

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and figured you guys might be able to help. I just picked up a Del Rey last week, trans-black top, OBL pickups intact. The staff at my local music store fell in love on sight -- in fact, one guy who just bought a brand-new LP was marvelling over the upper-fret access with just a bit of jealousy!

Here's my really odd question: where can I get a cover/nub for the toggle switch? It's neither a Gibson nor an Epiphone standard size, the local guys were stumped. They tried both metric & imperial pieces, including replacement parts and one pulled off a brand-new Epi LP for sale (that's how frustrated they were by this).

It plays great, the push-pull coil tap offers a variety of sounds, the toggle works fine, even the finish is in really good shape considering it's +- 20 years old -- my OCD just wants to "complete" the guitar.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

If either Epiphone or Gibson toggle caps are too large, what I do is put some wraps of plumber's teflon tape around the threads of the toggle switch then put the cap on. I've done it more times than I can remember. Works fine. If too small I use a small, round jeweler's file to enlarge the hole in the cap.

The Del Rey was an unusual guitar with its long 24 fret bolt-on neck. I think they may have been made for Epiphone by the company that built the Asian PRS, maybe.... I played one in the late 90's, as I remember the Del Rey is was pretty incredible.... I tried to buy one from the Guitar Center not too long ago but missed the opportunity, they are very hard to find... :(

1000399b.jpg

Images from the web showing finish variations..

eor6wxub7jxwgqc86mbr.jpg

Google Del Rey image search link... https://www.google.c...f=1526949121704

1000394h.jpg

Plastic dobs or toggle switch caps you might find a hardware store or an electronics warehouse..

Google search for toggle switch caps. https://www.google.c...iw=1200&bih=601

Edited by mihcmac

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased one of these, made in the same Korean factory as the "Del Rey" in the late 90's, DelRey look alike. A Hamer Stellar II.

It has a 24 fret 25.5" scale set neck and Duncans like the Del Rey's 24 fret 25.5" scale bolt-ont neck. Very close cousins.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

Hi all, I'm new to the forum ......

It plays great, the push-pull coil tap .....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Epiphone World! That is a very nice guitar. Can you measure the diameter of the part you need with a digital caliper? I'll look in my parts bin but I need a size to look for.

Also the Del Rey does NOT have "coil taps". It has "coil splits". A coil tap has multiple leads off a single coil to shorten the length of the coil hence that changes it's DC resistance and tone. You see coil taps most often in power transformers that have multiple different voltages coming out a coil.

A "coil split" grounds out one full coil of a humbucker leaving a single coil to make the tone. The length of the single coil is the same as it was; it's just missing the other coil that cancels out the hum.

Gibson (and others) makes this description error all the time but lately I've noticed that they have been using "coil split" instead of "coil tap".

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, Arth said:

I was going through the net to get more info on a 90's Del Rey I just got for $150 in mint condition, transparent black, and stock PUPs and stumbled upon this page. I'm assuming $150 was a really good deal?

I have seen them selling for more than twice that amount since the advent of the new upgraded version called the Epiphone DC Pro, introduced last year..

front-banner-1600_900.png

Edited by mihcmac

• 2 years later...

The Epi Del Rey is an absolutely phenomenal looking and playing guitar.  I have one in the roseburst/pinkish red finish that was modified with a TP-6 tailpiece - I also had the fingerboard ebonized, and the inlays changed to abalone.  This guitar has an extremely comfortable neck, it is well balanced, and the OBL pickups sound amazing no matter the style of music you play!!!  Although the DC Pro is considered the "improved" version, it doesn't play better than the Del Rey.   I think some people finally realize how well-made they are, because it's hard to find them nowadays.  If you find one in good condition, you gotta pounce, cause they do NOT last long. 

Edited by Sidman87
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...