Gibson Brands Forums

fretboards

Roach

pretty sure they are the same thing.

How Wood Is Torrefied

Torrefaction Plus of Brandon, QC, explains that torrefaction is an alternative to treating woods with chemicals. The the process involves heating wood at a temperature of 190 to 240C in a torrefaction kiln at controlled atmosphere and low in oxygen. The length of the process, as well as the temperature degree sustained during a determined period, depends on the torrefied specie and the desired color.

In addition, the company said this technology requires a pre-drying process using conventional kiln driers, to lower the moisture level between 6% and 10%. After that, the torrefaction kiln lowers the moisture level to 0%.

Gibson Auditions Torrefied Maple for FretboardsFinally, Torrefaction says the wood is placed in a conditioning chamber where the temperature is gradually lowered by controlled steam injection. The moisture level of the product is increased between 3% and 6%, in order to give back to the wood its natural flexibility. This conditioning stabilizes the wood and allows better quality manufacturing, the company says.

Potential interior and exterior uses of torrefied wood noted by Torrefaction include floors, stairs, mouldings and patio furniture.

How Wood Is Torrefied

Torrefaction Plus of Brandon, QC, explains that torrefaction is an alternative to treating woods with chemicals. The the process involves heating wood at a temperature of 190 to 240C in a torrefaction kiln at controlled atmosphere and low in oxygen. The length of the process, as well as the temperature degree sustained during a determined period, depends on the torrefied specie and the desired color.

In addition, the company said this technology requires a pre-drying process using conventional kiln driers, to lower the moisture level between 6% and 10%. After that, the torrefaction kiln lowers the moisture level to 0%.

Gibson Auditions Torrefied Maple for FretboardsFinally, Torrefaction says the wood is placed in a conditioning chamber where the temperature is gradually lowered by controlled steam injection. The moisture level of the product is increased between 3% and 6%, in order to give back to the wood its natural flexibility. This conditioning stabilizes the wood and allows better quality manufacturing, the company says.

Potential interior and exterior uses of torrefied wood noted by Torrefaction include floors, stairs, mouldings and patio furniture.

Thanks Cliff Clavin . msp_flapper.gif

cliff-clavin.jpeg

How Wood Is Torrefied

and the difference between that and what they call baked? (explorer elite, vs 2018 explorer)

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Explorer-Elite.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Explorer-2018.aspx

and the difference between that and what they call baked? (explorer elite, vs 2018 explorer)

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Explorer-Elite.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Explorer-2018.aspx

Gibson understand that 'Torrified' will only confuse Explorer players ;)

Well, the word "torrefied" sounds classier than "baked" (or "roasted," which is also common) and therefore should cost more. Tonally, torrefied wood has a tighter bass, while baked wood has a more prominent midrange, and roasted wood his high-end chime... depending on tenon length, of course. Just kidding. I wonder if there really is an industry standard for this process. Now, back to my experiments on torrefied Richlite and fossilized walrus Corian.

So torrefied, is what happens to you when you put more expensive weed in your bong. Thanks for helping me clear that up. But wait, the torrefied is on the lesser expensive model, somebody misinformed me here. Baked is a result of buying the more expensive one. Torrefied must be when you buy a guitar for cash and it has a cracked nut and paint damage so you take it back and get another from gibson almost a month later, that also has a cracked nut, then give up more money to get another guitar that they tell you will take 8 weeks to get it. I am torrefied it will be broken too and my money wasted.

i ordered the explorer elite, but nobody will tell me when to expect it. without making something up. It is baked.

Gibson wont even tel me the dimensions or which pick guard I need to get to change it to a black one.

The dealer is even less help

i ordered the explorer elite, but nobody will tell me when to expect it. without making something up. It is baked.

Gibson wont even tel me the dimensions or which pick guard I need to get to change it to a black one.

The dealer is even less help

This is why I got frustrated after 15 weeks of waiting for my PRS CE24. I gave up in the end and was refunded, only to find it at the same shop when it was not listed as stocked.

Have you paid a deposit or full amount? I had paid the whole PP.

This is why I got frustrated after 15 weeks of waiting for my PRS CE24. I gave up in the end and was refunded, only to find it at the same shop when it was not listed as stocked.

Have you paid a deposit or full amount? I had paid the whole PP.

Actually I got the call late tonight, it is in the store now! I am picking it up tomorrow! Pic will follow. Any idea where i can get a black pick guard that will fit it?

Gibson wouldn't tell me what I need to know because they don't offer pg's for these explorers.

plenty here

http://www.wdmusic.c...uard_ex_20.html

If that's too pricey, try Reverb or Ebay. I've seen them there.

I am in the usa, and reverb does have a 76 re-issue but I understand that many of these have changed from year to year and the screw holes are not identical measurements even when appearing to be. I asked reverb to find the pdf file that the ad refers to to determine if it fits, or just take a chance they are only $15.

For anyone else looking: https://reverb.com/item/4543110-custom-76-explorer-re-issue-style-guitar-pick-guard-3-ply-black

@eraser... wow, you lose, now you owe me. The guitar is perfect. The sustain is incredible, burtbuckers 2 and 3 are so nice. Fits my style of music just right, and practically lets the guitar and amp play for me. Its like having a rackmounted talent pedal. I play a note and it doesn't stop unless i stop it, sustain for days... I am too happy to continue, (sniff sniff) tears of pure joy, (jumps up and down clapping like a teenage girl that just got tickets to the beatles in the 60's).

714bf01ea2fbd3ef72e3b65270d3a32e.png

I have learned so much stuff from Cliff over the years.

He ended up with Dianne too. Lucky girl.

Same, man. Before Cliff told me, I had no idea the Pyramids were, in fact, ancient post offices.

The guitar is perfect. The sustain is incredible, burtbuckers 2 and 3 are so nice. Fits my style of music just right, and practically lets the guitar and amp play for me. Its like having a rackmounted talent pedal. I play a note and it doesn't stop unless i stop it, sustain for days... I am too happy to continue, (sniff sniff) tears of pure joy, (jumps up and down clapping like a teenage girl that just got tickets to the beatles in the 60's).

714bf01ea2fbd3ef72e3b65270d3a32e.png

Great! Glad you got such a good one. [thumbup]

Not sure I'd want to attend the gig where you "sustain for days..." though.

I am in the usa, and reverb does have a 76 re-issue but I understand that many of these have changed from year to year and the screw holes are not identical measurements even when appearing to be. I asked reverb to find the pdf file that the ad refers to to determine if it fits, or just take a chance they are only $15.

For anyone else looking: https://reverb.com/i...ard-3-ply-black

@eraser... wow, you lose, now you owe me. The guitar is perfect. The sustain is incredible, burtbuckers 2 and 3 are so nice. Fits my style of music just right, and practically lets the guitar and amp play for me. Its like having a rackmounted talent pedal. I play a note and it doesn't stop unless i stop it, sustain for days... I am too happy to continue, (sniff sniff) tears of pure joy, (jumps up and down clapping like a teenage girl that just got tickets to the beatles in the 60's).

Yea i love those burtbuckers hahahaha ya all know i meant burstbuckers but i thought id call myself out first.

Ok look, if you have an explorer and need a pickguard, gibson tells me the 76 reissue is the exact pickguard used on the elite model and all the current models, but the reissue PG at reverb is NOT the correct one. I ended up taking a piece of maple and making my own PG. LOOKS GREAT... (The light dulled color, but it is the same color as the head and p/u rings), One day I will bevel the egdes, and will add clear coats, (to the pg only).

e8edd590823aaa5099fb51ea55dd097d.png

Archived