Gibson Brands Forums

Fair is Fair - A New Epiphone But Not For Me

zombywoof

A week or so back my wife and I took a run a couple of hours down the road to meet a friend to pick up a fairly hard to find acoustic he was selling me. We decided to hook up in the parking lot of a music shop about midway between us. We naturally wandered in to check the place out which turned out to be a fairly nice Mom & Pop store. At one point I walked out for a bit leaving my wife playing a Taylor 12 string. When I walked back in she was buying a guitar. Not the Taylor (thank you for that) but a brand spanking new Epiphone Broadway. She had admired it when we first walked in but I never saw it coming. I swear though that woman was riding with the angels. I had no idea what the street price of the guitar was. Turned out she scored it for over $150 less than what the big box stores sell them for. How can you not love a woman like that.

#1, dude there is nothing wrong with a taylor 12 string.. gibson forum or not, they are great 12s.. esp. the short scale ones. I have been considering another 12, and a 500 series is probably where I'd go. (I would probably not go a 300 series, and the 100 and 200s are "not" quite the same.)

#2, I had a Broadway, (2012, and also have it's older sister a one pickup Regent). Excellent jazz box for the $$.. I recently moved a bunch I've not been playing, and that was one. That guitar came out of the box ready to fly.. I don't think I ever did much more than a string change, and a slight adjustment on the bridge. Sounds like she got a smokin deal too.

Guild raised the bar when it came to 12 string guitars and pretty much set the standard for many years. Gibson and Martin initially did not have a clue how to build them so they would last. But they did sound great. They just had an annoying little problem of self destructing.

The Broadway is a very nicely built instrument. If there is a flaw anywhere, I cannot find it. It does have the not to be unexpected cheesy electronics. If she keeps playing it, however, that will be changed. It was kind of fun watching her figure out there were switches and knobs which she could use to pull different sounds out of the guitar.

Guild raised the bar when it came to 12 string guitars and pretty much set the standard for many years. Gibson and Martin initially did not have a clue how to build them so they would last. But they did sound great. They just had an annoying little problem of self destructing.

The Broadway is a very nicely built instrument. If there is a flaw anywhere, I cannot find it. It does have the not to be unexpected cheesy electronics. If she keeps playing it, however, that will be changed. It was kind of fun watching her figure out there were switches and knobs which she could use to pull different sounds out of the guitar.

pickups are not USA made but they aren't horrible (That is if it's a newer one).. The toggle switch in the one I had was always a bit on the iffy side... tended to not work 100% of the in the bridge position without some fiddling with. I really did like the one I had, but given it was getting such little use, I felt it was time to let it go to a home where it'd get some use.

pickups are not USA made but they aren't horrible (That is if it's a newer one).. The toggle switch in the one I had was always a bit on the iffy side... tended to not work 100% of the in the bridge position without some fiddling with. I really did like the one I had, but given it was getting such little use, I felt it was time to let it go to a home where it'd get some use.

I am not planning to do anything right now other than a setup. I am just going to let her live with it for a while and learn her way around it.

I am not planning to do anything right now other than a setup. I am just going to let her live with it for a while and learn her way around it.

don't know if it would really need any more than the setup.

you think you'll move to flatwounds on it?

Archived