Gibson Brands Forums

LOCKING STOP BAR

Wild Bill 212

OK, Guys & Dolls, I just got the Guitar of a LIFE-TIME, this ES-335 is just AWESOME, ANTIQUE CHERRY, SWEEET !.....ICFBI, the TONES I am able to get out of this SWEETHEART of a Guitar , it is incredible.....

<br><br>Just one problem, I have never had a LOCKING STOP-TAIL and do not know how to adjust it....its sitting a li'l higher than it should be as the LOW 'E' string is missing the back of the ABR-1 by at least 1/32" and from what I have heard the STOP-TAIL on these ES-335's <br>should be FLUSH against the body.....this one is NOT....

*****NOTE****** I do think that it has an ALLEN/HEX Head screw that needs to be 'UN-LOCKED' FIRST, then the ALLEN/HEX KEY is used to adjust the height.<br><br>MY QESTION IS: DO THE STRINGS NEED TO BE DOWN-TUNED(tension taken off)  FIRST?<br>

I will answer my own QUESTION:

I STILL DO NOT KNOW, LOL !!! To be on the safe side I loosened the strings then I Turned the SCREWDRIVER HEAD half-a-turn, inserted the ALLEN/HEX Key and adjusted the ALLEN/HEX Key to the desired height (Just about FLUSH with the body !) and re-tightened the SCREW-DRIVER HEAD/CAP.......it is very simple BUT I definitely prefer the regular STOP-TAIL BOLTs....and I still DO NOT know if it is necessary to loosen the strings first !

The ABR-1 is a nice surprise as the strings do not even come close to hitting the back of the Bridge Plate and that enables the STOP-TAIL to be lowered all the way down to the Body........

It's personal preference. Some people deck (all the way down against the body of the guitar) their stop tails. I like mine so the angle of the strings doesn't touch the back of the bridge when going into the tail stop.

It's personal preference. Some people deck (all the way down against the body of the guitar) their stop tails. I like mine so the angle of the strings doesn't touch the back of the bridge when going into the tail stop.

TNX and True Dat..... and that is exactly what a GIBSON 'MEMPHIS' Final Inspector I met a while back told me personally, and it is also what GIBSON USA recommends as well (They also recommend Over-Wrapping)....that the "strings clear the back of the Bridge-Plate".From GIBSON.com . SEE HERE: http://www.gibson.co...uning-Tips.aspx

My original question is about the "HP" Locking Stop-Tail (and string tension) on my ES-335, it was obviously not difficult to take the tension off of the strings, BUT try figuring out how to UN-LOCK and ADJUST that "HP" STOP-TAIL w/out someone telling you 'HOW TO'. I dug up an e-mail from early 2017 when GIBSON USA sent me instructions on 'HOW TO' UN-LOCK and ADJUST the "HP" STOP-TAIL (it sez nothing about String Tension removal) on an 'SG' "HP" Model that I sent back because of NECK DIVE-itis (and the Locking Stop-Bar). I would definitely prefer a good ol' regular Stop-Tail (and that's exactly what the replacement 2017 'SG' STANDARD 'Trad.' has) and for GIBSON to call that flimsy POS a 'High Performance' Stop-Tail is laughable....However, in GIBSON's defense, it is quite easy to 'UN-LOCK' and 'ADJUST' once I found out 'HOW TO'.....

The ABR-1 has such a small amount of surface area behind the saddles that the strings will not touch the back of the Bridge Plate no matter what the height of the Stop-Tail is set at, that is, on my particular ES-335 anyway.

Archived