Gibson Brands Forums

Garageband works!

Buc McMaster

I finally figured out how to get a video into Garageband to add a bit of reverb. Yeah, yeah.......it's not rocket science but hey, I'm old school and much of this new fangled technology is way over my head. An experiment as much as anything.........

J-45 Vintage, 2-month old Retro lights, capo 5, iPad recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NlAIwX8NS0

Great song Buc, brought me back to a time of trying to entice an old girlfriend into things w/ a Kevin Costner movie that had this as a theme song (was only mildly successfully... that go around ; ). Anyways guitar sounds good, the retro strings have a real sound to them!

Quick question (and I think it is) but is all that done with one mic? Has a good balance from guitar to vocals - was curious. Rgds - billroy

OMG Buck! One of my favourite songs ever in an even BETTER arrangement. I love, love, love the sound of your voice and that heavenly J45. I hope you will excuse me but I put on the headphones, turned on my mic and sang along with you! Just awesome.

Quick question (and I think it is) but is all that done with one mic?

Yes, one mic........a little Zoom iQ7 that plugs into the lightning port on the iPad. This was recorded about 6-7 feet from the iPad. Thanks!

I hope you will excuse me but I put on the headphones, turned on my mic and sang along with you!

Thanks, Doug! I'd like to hear that audio. You seem to know your way around recording gear.......drop the audio off my video and do a second track. No harmony in the original version but I'd bet there's a part there.

Wonderful performance, Buc. I would be gunshy with a song like that but you just went ahead and smashed it!

Your J45 sounds incredible, one of the best 45s I’ve ever heard, old or new. When I bought my J180 a couple of weeks ago I auditioned an Adirondack topped J45 which I was really hoping would sound like yours...it didn’t, so I passed on it. Nice guitar but not for me, and nowhere near as great as yours.

A quick Q, how did you import the video into GarageBand to edit the audio and add verb? Did you do it via desk/laptop or iPad? I can get videos to import into my version of GarageBand on my iPad for love nor money.

....how did you import the video into GarageBand to edit the audio and add verb?

Well, there may be an easier way....but.....

I import with Photos to a Mac laptop and drag a copy onto the desktop (easy to find). Open iMovie, select the VOCAL new project and from the FILE drop down menu, select Movie......this will bring the video and audio into iMovie with EQ and REVERB controls you can dial in as it plays. I save it back to the desktop when ready. I'm sure there are many other whistles and bells available here but I wouldn't know what to do with them.

Thanks for the nod to the J-45. It is a nice instrument that feels solid and sounds good under my often heavy handed attack. Love the nickel strings on this one.....a clear, concise sound without much sustain and just about zero overtones, prefect for my chord-thumping rhythm style. I hear some mis-fretted strings in this one here and there. You'd think I could do this by now!

.....there seems to be a bit of overmodulation in the recording. How are you monitoring recording level?

Guilty as charged. [unsure] And as for monitoring the recording level.......I pretty much don't.......ought to though, huh. I hear it too, Nick.....my bad......again. Seems this is often an issue for me.

Thanks for listening!

Awesome job Buc !

I have multi-tracked stuff on Garageband, but have yet to put any of to a video. My video stuff on YouTube is just with the guitar live, and I've been putting the multi-tracked stuff on Soundcloud.

This stuff will do far more than I am capable of figuring out.

You did really well with this, thanks for posting it for us.

Archived