Gibson Brands Forums

Riddle me this...

PrairieSchooner

I posted a pic of my new Diamondback slide sitting on my Regal Duolian, which got kicked to the Lounge (great slide, by the way). Yet I see threads here about whiskey, strap buttons, songs played on ukes (non Gibson), etc., that are still here. This is not really meant as a complaint; I've enjoyed a couple of those threads, and it's all pretty small potatoes in the overall meaning of life. But I am curious...how come?

Discussions of Bob Dylan whiskey and uke tunes sure beats other forums where every third post seems to be a poll about tonewoods or asks the question what guitar should I buy.

But slide is pretty much a niche item here. If you had posted on something like the Steel Guitar Forum you probably would have had a lot more interest.

I remember years back I responded to a post on a now defunct forum about slides noting that I had never used a store bought slide but rather medicine bottles found in flea markets or simply made my own. I must have gotten ten requests asking me for detailed instructions about how I made them. Even had one guy ask me what kind of fuel I recommended to douse the string around the neck of the bottle.

Never take anything "personal" on the internet..........I didn't see your thread. Being kind of interested-in and playing a little slide, I'd likely read it. On the other hand, you'd likely get more interest in another section. Actually, I'd like to see Gibson making a square neck. [thumbup]

We can revive it a little bit here Mr. Schooner. I wondered what happened to it but didn't go looking. I am partial to the old flea/antique variety (as ZW). I recently saw a ('60s or '70s??) Coricidin (sp?) bottle auction for over $70, and it wasn't actually even looked at by Duane. There is something to the lead content in old bottles that is preferred.

https://m.imgur.com/account/AliasPhobias/images/6Xt83Zl

Here's an interesting one.

Alias, your link didn't work for me. I had one of those Coricidin bottles; $70 huh!? Obviously I should have hung on to it! Frankly I never liked the way it felt on my finger. I have a wine bottle slide made by Eric Park (Gen-u-wine slides). I like it but mine has the lip still attached and is a bit short for reaching across the whole neck.

I've been using one of John Pearce's brass slides which I like a lot, but I do love the tone that glass produces. When I heard about the Diamondbacks I contacted Ian about getting one with the same dimensions as the Pearce, in the cobalt blue glass. Had to wait a few months but it was worth it. I really like its heft. I'm really not a very good slide player; maybe it'll make me better [tongue] !

I’ve tried , and hey , I’m no ry colder , various slides over my many years of playing

But any heavy ones , or ones with ‘heft’ clatter and bang ... I like a nice light one ... does he make light ones ?

Or am a big girls blouse ?

Yeah Ian makes all manner of gauges and sizes-he’ll make slides to order too if you wanted to spec out something to your exact requirements-he’s a great guy to deal with.

Check out Ian’s site-http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/

Yeah Ian makes all manner of gauges and sizes-he’ll make slides to order too if you wanted to spec out something to your exact requirements-he’s a great guy to deal with.

Check out Ian’s site-http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/

Cool

Cheers jinder

Not ry colder

Ry cooder

Dumb phone

Archived