Gibson Brands Forums

Newcomer saying Hello

Gitarpik

Hello Gibson fans-

I just joined this weekend, this is my first post.

I’ll jump right in by dating myself. In 1970, Jimi Hendrixpassed on just as I was getting started with my brand new Ovation Eclipse andlessons from my most excellent teacher, whose name I want to drop in case anyof you knew of him: Steve Maase in Albuquerque, NM. Steve was invariablyrunning behind schedule, so I had time to stare wantonly at the wall of guitarsin the store.

On the top row were always half a dozen Les Pauls of variousmodels, with price tags from a lofty $450 into the more like $600 stratos. (Ayear or two later as I began learning to drive I would hear the grownupsgrumbling about 50 cents for a gallon of gas. Picks were three for a quarter.) At the end of the row, next to the wall, waseven a Recording model. That thing never ever got taken down.

During my first year of learning how to play I heard manyreferences that the Gibson Les Paul was the finest electric guitar to own. Iwanted one. When I was nineteen I diligently saved all the money from my summerjob and determined I would get whatever guitar I wanted. At this time BC Richwas just starting to show up and I gave due consideration to their Seagull or Mockingbird. Very nice, but weird looks. I like an instrument with classic beauty,like a Stradivarius violin or a Gibson Les Paul. Then a friend brought over hisnew L-6S and I decided that’s what I wanted. A 1976 Custom, black with ebonyFB.

Over the years I collected a Chet Atkins SST, three PRSs, aRobin Savoy Classic, an L5, various acoustics… you get the idea. But my desirefor a Les Paul was always dormant back there. One day I stepped into a shop andsaw this stunning beauty – it turned out to be used, like new, a-and a CustomShop. It was not in its original case and had no papers. So far all I know isthat it dates from 1990. Before long I’ll send more details and ask what anyonecan tell about it.

(I was trying to insert a pic here but no luck) - later

Welcome to the Forum.msp_thumbup.gif Gasoline prices were about .32 to .33 cents per gallon when I first drove, unleaded. That was the year! 1970, Graduated in 1971. Bought a Big Mac, fries and soda for under a dollar, got like 20 to 25 cents back in change. When did you start playing? 16?

Hi Retired- in 1969 I was thirteen, and saw a Teisco for $40- brand new! It had four pickups, I guess you could think of it as $10/pickup with the neck, body, and whammy bar thrown in as a bonus. It kept breaking strings, my parents could see I was going to stick with it and returned the Teisco and splurged $199 for an Ovation Eclipse, which I learned to play on, and still have.

Hi Retired- in 1969 I was thirteen, and saw a Teisco for $40- brand new! It had four pickups, I guess you could think of it as $10/pickup with the neck, body, and whammy bar thrown in as a bonus. It kept breaking strings, my parents could see I was going to stick with it and returned the Teisco and splurged $199 for an Ovation Eclipse, which I learned to play on, and still have.

I wish I still had some of my old guitars, Sold them all when I married as I was into Drag Racing at that time. Funny though...I was 13 also when I started taking guitar lessons from my cousin. That was in 66. Fred played in a band and had a very cool looking Gibson I loved.

Archived